Books You Want Horribly Destroyed.

michael_ab

Jun 22, 2009
comet5002 said:
Seriously everyone who said the Bible? SERIOUSLY? Are we that immature and childish that we would say something like "let's burn the effin Bible durr hurr fart"

You're no better than the brilliant priest who decided that burning the Qur'an was a good idea.

It's also ironic that you all capitalized the word Bible, I must say.

Wakikifudge said:
Any religious text. Seriously, the world would be a lot more peaceful without religion.
This is honestly probably one of the most idiotic and ignorant things I've ever read in my entire life, and now I'm horribly frightened for the human race. You really think there wouldn't be conflict and war without religious TEXTS? First of all, as someone already said, religion can exist without texts depicting it. Second of all, if there wasn't religion, humanity would definitely find something else to shoot at each other for. Let's look at the Revolutionary War, hmm?

Sorry to go off topic, but these flame starters are asking for it. Religion is something that gives humanity something to hold onto and to have hope in. Sorry if I like to believe that life isn't a complete waste of time screwing people, wasting money, and getting drunk every week. Sorry if I like to believe that there's something waiting for me after I die instead of perpetual darkness for the rest of eternity.

I don't mean to be rude, I really don't, but really? It's ignorance like this that really ticks me off.

Back on topic, I don't think any book deserves to be burned. But I could certainly do without Twilight having ever existed.
i disagree with the bible being eliminated, it a valuable text that teaches lessons and betters peoples lives, and if everyone were to dutifully follow its teachings i have no doubt that the world would be a better place, keep in mind that almost every religion around the world teaches these same lessons in one form or another. HOWEVER. structured religion as we know it (and which is a direct result of religious texts) spawns zealotry, which in turn demonizes individual thought and personal opinion.

faith good, religion bad

let the flaming begin

edit; oh and twilight shouldnt be burned, because it does help humanity in one way. this is how NOT to do it. and really i know twilight was bad but please, be more creative

re edit:
300ccs of medicine said:
as a devout atheist, I'm tempted to say the bible, but as someone who's actually studied the bible, I'd let it stay. It's not what the bible says that causes people to do all this insane shit in the world, it's what other people SAY the bible says that is inspiring them to these atrocities. The majority of modern christianity has as much to do with the actual content of the bible as it does with....shoes.
this is what i ment to say, listen to this guy, he speak good

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
Will someone take the task upon them to count all of the ones who said "Twilight"? Just for funsies.

Don't feel like burning or destroying any kind of books.

300ccs of medicine

Apr 9, 2009
as a devout atheist, I'm tempted to say the bible, but as someone who's actually studied the bible, I'd let it stay. It's not what the bible says that causes people to do all this insane shit in the world, it's what other people SAY the bible says that is inspiring them to these atrocities. The majority of modern christianity has as much to do with the actual content of the bible as it does with....shoes.

michael_ab

Jun 22, 2009
Orthon said:
Will someone take the task upon them to count all of the ones who said "Twilight"? Just for funsies.

Don't feel like burning or destroying any kind of books.
using the "find on this page" function i counted each time "twilight" was mentioned, i didnt count if it was in a quote box, or mentioned twice in the same post. 36.

keep in mind i did not search for any particular book from the twilight series or from stephenie meyer

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Probably Potter and Twilight. I wouldn't pick the bible because many people need their red pills or they go nuts.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Pararaptor said:
Azure-Supernova said:
Ummmm... Eclipse. It's easily the worst out of the Twilight saga...
Seriously? That's my favourite.

You really liked Breaking Dawn better?
Yes. The prospect of Bella dying was very inviting. Generally the series overall was in lacking... not enough of Jasper.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
The Outsiders.

Terribly unpleasant, incredibly depressing, meh-diocre writing and characters...

I just plain don't like it. =/

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
Blind Sight said:
Azure-Supernova said:
I want to say the Bible... but the bible saved me once when a free mini-bibe I got at school came in handy as fuel for a fire on a cold camp night.
Yet another piece of 'non-fiction' that I'd like to see have a massive-ass bibliography in the back just to explain how they got to their conclusions. Course, it'd probably look something like this:

Works Cited:
1. God
Whoever made a Bible bibliography like that would get a bit more respect from me just for being a smartass.
But to the original question.
Anything written by the following authors: Stephanie Meyer, Ann Coulter or Tucker Max.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
Mackheath said:
None.

No book deserves to be destroyed, not even Twilight.
That's not the question. The question is "What books do you find horrible?"
I'm against any book being burned no matter how reprehensible I find it, it's simply a matter of what you find awful.