Booze consumpshion

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Never really developed a taste for it. Every time I drink something alcoholic, my brain tells me it's "gone bad". Plus I had so many experiences with friends who drank too much, and spent the night puking in my bathroom, to not really desire to develop the habit. I much preferred pot back in those days when I used mood altering substances for recreation.

Dec 6, 2015
AccursedTheory said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Barbas said:
Alcohol aficionados, how much can you drink before you start feeling the effects of your terrible mistake in earnest?
Half a glass of beer. I had this a few nights ago and am still feeling the effects, and the effects are absolutely awful. I don't know what causes it but it's clearly my body telling me not to do it.
That's... bad. You're either perpetually dehydrated or something may be wrong. While I don't think it's necessary to run to the doctor right away (Just don't drink), it may be something you want to bring up with your doctor the next time you go in for whatever.

Your liver/water reserves should really be doing a better job then that.

01189998819991197253 said:
AccursedTheory said:
Ah yes, I love me some Nazi hooch. You can really taste the Aryan superiority.

Hermann Goring was appointed Reichsjagermeister (Imperial Gamekeeper) when the new hunting law was introduced. Thus, when Jagermeister was introduced in 1935, its name was already familiar to Germans. It was sometimes called "Goring-Schnaps."
Yeah... I probably would not have drank it if I had known that, back in the day. Especially since my last name is German, I'm White (Really White), spent most of my time in the Army with a 'Skinhead' hair cut, and my Great Grand Father was a high ranking member of the KKK...
Oh I'm just playing around, you're no more responsible for the origin of Jagermeister than you are for what your great grandfather did.

Dec 6, 2015
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Barbas said:
Alcohol aficionados, how much can you drink before you start feeling the effects of your terrible mistake in earnest?
Half a glass of beer. I had this a few nights ago and am still feeling the effects, and the effects are absolutely awful. I don't know what causes it but it's clearly my body telling me not to do it.
You should see your doctor and get a liver enzyme level done, and tell them about this experience. I wouldn't be concerned, but it probably is going to turn out that you can't drink alcohol and you should avoid a few foods.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
llet me tell yuu shomething, kidddo. yur not lliviggn bevore yuv ad yer dailly coktaill of poisjon. itsh de only ambroshia that can make yuu foget life.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I love a good whiskey or rum & I used to really knock them back. Anymore it's more about savoring it than getting hammered. I've got a pretty high tolerance for the stuff & have never been black out drunk, even after all nighters. I remember going to christmas parties & drinking until about 3 in the morning & then going to work the next day.

About half of a fifth of 80 proof will get me feeling good & I know how to pace myself so I can have a good time. Never had a real bad hangover, thankfully.

I tried 190 proof moonshine before... I should have just poured molten lead down my throat, it would have been smoother. My throat hurt for days after that.

I absolutely love trying new booze & making my own mixed drinks. And that reminds me that I need to try the new Captain Morgan.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
I don't drink that much these days, but I still seem to have the same limits as I always have had - I seem to be able to function pretty well on an amount of alcohol that's considered enough to anesthetize a fully-grown Rhino, but at some indeterminate level of extreme inebriation, my brain exits stage left, and my body takes over on autopilot:

A night out in of all places Hull, where I was visiting a friend that was at University there, decended into extreme alcoholism when we discovered a bar that was serving triples for the price of a single! I don't actually remember going on from there to a club, as my brain had bailed as soon as we stepped outside the bar. Apparently I just went quiet for a while after reaching the club, then I asked my friend if I could borrow his keys and head back to crash at his place. I navigated accross Hull, having never even been there before, found my friend's house, and even managed to buy a Pizza on the way back - and to this day I have no memory of doing any of that! Who needs GPS? - Just get drunk! :eek:p

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I usually need at least 3 pints before I get a buzz going, and even then those need to be in fairly quick succession. I need to drink quite a lot before getting hammered, and even then I get easily dragged down from my buzz due to, for example, shitty music. I don't drink much hard boozes these days, and I've been moving more towards drinking wine.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I only drink half a glass of white wine every other year. So I don't know how much I need to get drunk.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
At about 7 cans (depending on how fast each were had in secession) I can feel my motor control go. Or 4 vodka shots.

The line gets blurry on when it starts making me tumble around but I've never lost my vision over it.

My drinking has been reigned in since the end of my "broken heart" nonsense.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Yeah... I probably would not have drank it if I had known that, back in the day. Especially since my last name is German, I'm White (Really White), spent most of my time in the Army with a 'Skinhead' hair cut, and my Great Grand Father was a high ranking member of the KKK...
Oh I'm just playing around, you're no more responsible for the origin of Jagermeister than you are for what your great grandfather did.
Of course I'm not responsible. All the same, it can make you feel a bit nervous when you start checking a few too many things off on the 'Stereotypes that can be said of white supremacist' list. I remember one black coworker jokingly asking me when the rally was after getting a haircut, and I couldn't help but feel like maybe I should just scream 'Nope' and run away, waving my arms about in a comical fashion.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I drink far to much, while I will be feeling it after a few beers, I can drink a lot afterwards. And when I hit a certain drunkness, I feel that I can drink forever. That usually does not end well. I have cut down a lot, I mainly only drink at the weekends because working with a hangover (not to mention that booze fucks with your sleep) doesn't feel so good at my age.

I do like whisky though. I like whisky too much. I have to limit myself as to when I can drink it (as in once in a blue moon) and how much otherwise things get messy.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I don't drink that often anymore, maybe one or two beer every so often at home. Though I will still drink plenty at parties with friends which don't happen that often. I am relatively tolerant, I think, to beer. Half a crate (that's 12 bottles of 0,30l) will get me pretty tipsy, the whole crate will get me pretty drunk. But even drunk out of my mind I still don't tend to get hangovers anymore, and haven't for many many years.

When I'm drunk I become pretty a energetic, hyperactive and happy drunk. Which is pretty much the opposite of how I am sober xD.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I don't drink often and it takes about half of this over the course of 2 hours for me to feel it. I'm far gone by the 3/4 mark.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I only very occasionally drink (I was diagnosed with gout, so it's become something of a no-no.) At three or four drinks I start to feel it to a noticable degree; past about six I would consider myself drunk. I've only been seriously drunk once (bachelor party); I threw up in the sink and felt like my head was packed in cotton the next day.

I usually don't feel good when I drink alcohol; often it makes me feel kind of emotionally numb. So I've never really been a regular drinker. My grandfather was an alcoholic, so there's just that much more reason not to regularly plumb my limits. A glass of wine or cider with friends once in a while is plenty for me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Unfortunately it is a bit of an old coping mechanism and does wonders for easing some social anxieties for me. I used to be much worse, with other stuff added too. Mixture of bad group of friends with bad memories, genetic and nurtured depression with little knowledge of how else to make it go away, sort of lead to a self-destructive lifestyle. The remaining high tolerance and stains of a previous life still linger, but i'm wiser and stronger to abstain through the pain longer before breaking down again. Wine is a happy medium for those moments.
I understand USA is different towards alcohol than common UK, the drearily forlorn here can make matters seem less hopeful. But we can learn hope if not taught to us properly. Did i make sense?

Dec 6, 2015
AccursedTheory said:
AccursedTheory said:
Of course I'm not responsible. All the same, it can make you feel a bit nervous when you start checking a few too many things off on the 'Stereotypes that can be said of white supremacist' list. I remember one black coworker jokingly asking me when the rally was after getting a haircut, and I couldn't help but feel like maybe I should just scream 'Nope' and run away, waving my arms about in a comical fashion.
=D

Sounds to me like your sense of humor is what it takes to get by in a world that judges on looks first.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I have one or two beers a week, on Friday or Saturday, but only one a night. If I have friends around or am around at a friend's house, I might have two. I've never had more. I like my lucidity and prefer to keep it mostly intact.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Xsjadoblayde said:
Unfortunately it is a bit of an old coping mechanism and does wonders for easing some social anxieties for me. I used to be much worse, with other stuff added too. Mixture of bad group of friends with bad memories, genetic and nurtured depression with little knowledge of how else to make it go away, sort of lead to a self-destructive lifestyle. The remaining high tolerance and stains of a previous life still linger, but i'm wiser and stronger to abstain through the pain longer before breaking down again. Wine is a happy medium for those moments.
I understand USA is different towards alcohol than common UK, the drearily forlorn here can make matters seem less hopeful. But we can learn hope if not taught to us properly. Did i make sense?
yeah America has a more conservative attitude towards drinking, such as not being able to drink outside.
Which is kinda funny because when I see beer adverts on the telly here, they depict stereotypical people in their mid twenties partying it up on a beach, something you can get in trouble for.

People drink more moderately here too I feel, although saying that I have made a friend that is an absolute machine when it comes to drinking. He would fit in rather well in Britons drinking culture I reckon.

As for me, my tolerance is pretty good. I don't get the spinning room or vomit anymore if I have too much, I tend to just go to sleep/passout nowadays. Not something I'm terribly proud of when it happens mind you.
Don't think anyone has mentioned hangovers yet?
as I have gotten older my tolerance has gone up, which means I can drink more but then I have a raging hangover to deal with the next day. unlike when I was 18, when I could bounce back from a nights excess easily, they have become much harder to recover from and lately a night of drinking with friends means the day after is spent in bed, fighting waves of nausea whilst downing pints of water.

GreyDevil

Jul 4, 2009
I managed to get through almost all of a bottle of Vat 69 whiskey by myself before I face planted hard. THat was a few years ago now so I could probably handle a bit more xD. I am a big chap so I generally can drink more before some of my more lightweight friends go down.