Borderlands 2 Escapes Censorship Worldwide

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
As an Australian, I think our censorship board is going to gloss over most violent games until January 1st, when the R18+ finally kicks in. They know anything they do will just cause a massive backlash, so unless it's something completely twisted and violent as well as gory (see: Manhunt), they probably won't bother.

Clearing the Eye said:
"Bloody chunks of awesomeness" may be the most childish attitude possible. I'm almost put off buying the game now. People with that attitude--"Fwa, check out this big gun and all this blood! FUCK YEAH"--piss me off.

Fuck it. I'm not going to pre-order it anymore.
You've never seen, watched or heard anything about Borderlands ever, have you?

Considering their entire marketing campaigns revolve around having a Bazillion guns, killing monsters and bandits in gory glory, and finding sweet loot, that attitude is pretty much consistent with what the games are about. Also, just gotta point out; not pre-ordering a game because of a single statement made by a half-serious developer? Yeah.... that's not childish at all....

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Bloody... chunks... of... awesome. Taken note for future use as a catchphrase.

Jugendschutzgesetz
For someone that doesn't understand German that word sounds like they are shooting kids in the face.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
"Bloody chunks of awesomeness" may be the most childish attitude possible. I'm almost put off buying the game now. People with that attitude--"Fwa, check out this big gun and all this blood! FUCK YEAH"--piss me off.

Do you buy anything with that attitude?

"Oh man that guy said something silly about something I wanna buy. Guess I'm not getting it now..."

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
This actually serves a practical purpose other than bucking censorship: we all know what happens when Germans get envious of other people's Borderlands.
Ho, Ho. I see what you did there.

Hooray for people not censoring games. Nothing else to say really... ugh... don't do drugs.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Clearing the Eye said:

That's all it takes for you to change your mind? The words of one person? You're reading entirely too much into that. Grow some thicker skin and brush that chip off your shoulder, guy. People like YOU piss ME off. It goes both ways there, buddy.

/worldssmallestviolin

DVS BSTrD said:
This actually serves a practical purpose other than bucking censorship: we all know what happens when Germans get envious of other people's Borderlands.
Ahahahah

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
ElPatron said:
Bloody... chunks... of... awesome. Taken note for future use as a catchphrase.

Jugendschutzgesetz
For someone that doesn't understand German that word sounds like they are shooting kids in the face.
That's what they do, so it's nice to know that you don't even need a translator + background knowledge to understand it o_O

On Topic: I'm glad I got my Borderlands copy gifted over steam from outside germany, but now that I'm reading this I really think about how DLC bought in germany will influence all this.
then again, I'm still having a rain of gory bits every time I driver over another enemy.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Subatomic said:
It is factually incorrect to say the Jugendschutzgesetz 'requires' games to tone down the violence (there's no such regulation in that law). Most of the so called low violence version released in Germany are attempts by the developers/publishers themselves to avoid the more prohibitve ratings or an 'Indizierung', and not somehow government-mandated.

Case in point: The rating for the original Borderlands was USK18 for both the English/Multilingual version and the low violence German version, so there actually was no need for the 'censored' version at all. They just jumped the gun and underestimated with how much violence they could get away with, and now that they know better, there's no need to do additional work for a censored version. But hey, nice PR for them I guess.
Exactly. Censorship has always been the developers' choice, not a necessity. The situation isn't 'We'll ban this violent game and sue everyone involved if you don't cut out all the violence' but rather 'This game is going to get this or that rating depending on the content and in the worst case you won't be able to advertise it'

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Spartan212 said:
Source on that? Everything I see says otherwise
American minimum wage: $16 and some pocket lint/wk
Australian minimum wage: $606/wk

$100k job in the US: Next to impossible to achieve
$100k job in Australia: Can you speak english? Do a 6/12 month TAFE course and work in the mines.

Shit, i'm Australian and my current day job involves 'sitting at home' and 'scratching my balls', and i get over $100/wk to do these things.

It's entirely different cultures combined with the fact that we export so much shit per year we have lines for our docks.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
The Random One said:
Blargh McBlargh said:
Clearing the Eye said:

Tempted to call "troll", but knowing people on the internet these days...

-sigh-
Yes, how DARE he not enjoy wanton, pointless violence? A troll, obviously!
Exactly! No REAL human has such a horrendous, terrifying lack of bloodlust! TROLLBOT IS TROLLBOT!

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
Censoring a product is just another way of saying that your game ratings are useless and you've failed as a people. It's okay to send our men and women off to wars, to die horribly, but violent video games? That's not okay at all!

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I'm not too impressed with that attitude of "bloody chunks of awesome". I don't mind a little spray, but too much seems to be "gore for gores sake."

Gore toggle will be nice. Always a dec feature.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Clearing the Eye said:

I have to ask, was that a serious comment?

I mean, if you weren't interested in the game to begin with, that's fine, but as that is stated, that's one of the most shallow reasons to deny yourself what looks like a ton of fun to me. I got no problem with someone balking at various things like bad business practices, but this quote you seem to be taking offense to is just Gearbox knowing their audience. "Chunks of awesomeness" is hardly a selling point for me, but it is an apt way to describe the brand of cartoony violence that is in BL1.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
madster11 said:
Spartan212 said:
Source on that? Everything I see says otherwise
American minimum wage: $16 and some pocket lint/wk
Australian minimum wage: $606/wk

$100k job in the US: Next to impossible to achieve
$100k job in Australia: Can you speak english? Do a 6/12 month TAFE course and work in the mines.

Shit, i'm Australian and my current day job involves 'sitting at home' and 'scratching my balls', and i get over $100/wk to do these things.

It's entirely different cultures combined with the fact that we export so much shit per year we have lines for our docks.
I'd like to know where people come up with these numbers. $16 a week? you sure about that? Let's not go comparing economies because it's like comparing apples to oranges.

On topic: good to see that publishers aren't censoring their games for different markets.

EDIT: found it. this page shows income after applicable taxes and contributions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income