Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

Sep 14, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
gmaverick019 said:
hah wowza, thank you for being much quicker than the PC people, twas a close one.
lol yeah, the ONLY way someone would think it was dumb was if they were politically correct.
err...where did i say that it wasn't dumb? Just because I might find something absolutely disgusting or something that I don't agree with, doesn't mean I have to sneer it to death.

*sits patiently waiting*

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
The Jakeinator said:
What if me quote unquote "girlfriend" is better at games then I am?

Because she was damn good at Monday Night Combat, in my opinion.
Then if you play Borderlands 2, and you choose the Mechromancer (something I was already considering, before any models or BFF tree was mentioned because the name just sounds cool), and you spec the BFF tree, you can make jokes about boyfriend mode?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Not the best choice of words but understandable I'd say.

I wouldn't be surprised if one common piece of feedback they received was the request for an easier character or mode of play so their girlfriend could play along, which would lead to this being dubbed the "girlfriend mode".

It's a poor choice of words and fair game for calling the guy out on that. But I also think there's a positive side to it. It can be nothing but good if there's a lot of gamers out there who wish to introduce new people to the hobby (whether they're a girlfriend or not).

Still, let's hope they spend a bit more time thinking about what they're going to say in the future. Nobody wants to hear about a "boyfriend mode" in the next Sims game where you murder everyone FPS-style with tons of huge explosions.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Lilani said:
You know what makes me angry about your post? You're basically advocating the silencing of legitimate complaints of developers because you're afraid of how they'll feel about it. Seriously, are you trying to tell me I don't have a right to express the fact that his words offended me because you're fucking scared their feelings will be hurt, and that they'll hole up and never talk to us again? [...]
No i don't.

I said that i fear that with all this hyperbole directed against developers, who are naturally better at thier jobs (in this case, designing) than giving interviews, that these interview opportunities will be replaced by carefully worded, pedantically correct official statements by some official spokesperson whose only knowledge of the game are on a factsheet given by a marketing department who filtered the words of passionate devs for maximum marketability.

What pisses me off is not the critism of the poor wording, it's the way that is being done. Wich is WAY, WAAAY out of proportion, with people like you assuming and adding intentions to it based on nothing...
I feel like that's a term that he's used to describe it before, which paints a very bad picture of both him and the development team[...]There are plenty of other terms, he just didn't bother to use any of them.
..., and, while claiming to understand his intentions, still clearly making a mountain out of a molehill.

There's a sickening witch hunt atmosphere around many internet-gaming-communities where it seems like people are required to take everything thats not 100% P.C. as a personal insult.

...And in all honesty, the lack of actually appropriate critism mixed with large amounts of hyperbole, actually hurts the cause behind it and rather helps those people who are ACTUALLY insulting others by throwing petty comments about "White Knights" or turning to sexist "hurr durr, chick gamers PMSing" comments.

There's no value in this whole thing, this whole reaction, just people kicking and screaming and crying over spilled milk (long after the whole thing was mostly defused by Randy Pitchford jumping in and clarifying things).

I am growing so so tired of the gamer community as a whole, or as the vocal minority or whatever...

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Girlfriend mode... hehehe.

I think they should also add another female character that wears dungarees and doc martens. She won't have a gun because she can kill bad guys by glowering at them with +50 earnestness. They can call her skill tree "Escapist mode"

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Not sure why there is controversy here. Girlfriends usually don't like playing games. If you have one that does, congrats, but it's not worth getting bothered about it for the sake of them.

Case in point: My brother plays Borderlands constantly. It's practically his favorite game. He tried sharing it with his GF, and she could barely hit the first bandits. The Mechromancer sounds exactly like what she needs to have fun with it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The problem I have with "Girlfriend Mode" is simply what happens when an experienced player uses that skill tree. Something that helps newbs and acts as an equalizer due to being unbalanced frequently becomes insane when used by an experienced player. Quite a few games have thought of similar things over the years it seems (unbalanced weapons to help new players in multi-player, etc...) and it generally doesn't work out. Given the cooperative nature of Borderlands I can see why this might be overlooked, but the game has in part thrived because of a degree of balance. I can easily see problems with dudes running "girlfriend mode" bogarting everyone's kills and generally being a pain in
the rear.

I'm not saying there aren't solutions or work arounds that could potentially work, just that what's said here doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I feel EZ mode doesn't belong in any game with any kind of multi-player or competitive aspect. I don't have a lot of people to playwith, so I'll be irritated if I join random games and see everyone running nothing but because it's the best and makes farming so easy.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Xid Satled said:
99.9% of girls suck at video games, come at me.
Ok. You're wrong. Done.

Signa said:
Not sure why there is controversy here. Girlfriends usually don't like playing games. If you have one that does, congrats, but it's not worth getting bothered about it for the sake of them.
Lol. Cause only dudes are on here.
I am a girlfriend who plays games, played games when I was just a `girl`, too.
Besides, it's not a massive controversy, it was just some shitty wording that furthers a dumbass stereotype. They've moved away from the comments now so it's chill.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Phasmal said:
Xid Satled said:
Ok. You're wrong. Done.

Signa said:
Lol. Cause only dudes are on here.
I am a girlfriend who plays games, played games when I was just a `girl`, too.
Besides, it's not a massive controversy, it was just some shitty wording that furthers a dumbass stereotype. They've moved away from the comments now so it's chill.
We've been through this before, you don't count in my general comments. Sorry if that makes you feel excluded, but I'm not going to restructure my opinion of things because someone 8,000 miles from me is an exception. Now go tear up some shit with the Gunzerker and laugh at all the pansies that need an aimbot just to kill something.

FUCK YEAH!

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Xid Satled said:
Phasmal said:
Xid Satled said:
Ok. You're wrong. Done.
lol, You really went out of your way didn't you? The fact is 97% of females are terrible at games. That's just how it is, no flame baits here.

The fact is 99.9% of statistics are pulled from an arse.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
LOL. Guys you are being trolled. If "Feminism" now isn't a hot topic on online gaming communities, do you think they would have named it that way?

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Trilligan said:
deadish said:
LOL. Guys you are being trolled. If "Feminism" now isn't a hot topic on online gaming communities, do you think they would have named it that way?
Okay, one, they didn't name it that.

And two, yes. Because guys - even smart guys who make awesome things - can be boneheads at times. And being boneheaded sometimes means making a remark that seems innocuous in one's internal monologue but carries sexist (or otherwise abhorrent) overtones when expressed and received within a greater context.

It happens all the time, not just to Borderlands producers. It's really easy to say something dumb. And in spite of what the internet tells you most people who say something dumb aren't trying to troll, they just didn't realize that what they said was going to be as dumb as it turned out to be, because it made sense in their head at the time.

Matter of fact, anyone who claims to be 'trolling' is really just trying to back out of being stupid without owning up to it - it's the classic "I meant to do that" routine.
They didn't name it? Oh, then never mind. I thought it was a publicity stunt by the developers. I only read the blurb on this site, not the original Eurogamer article.

Groenteman

Mar 30, 2011
Hmmm, pay an allready substantial amouth of money for game I cant know I will like,

OR

Pay even more for the same thing?

No thanks gearbox, AAA games are too expensive for me to gamble on, and I refuse to pay even more than that for what realy didnt have to be a DLC.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I love this idea, and I love it even more because of how funny "girlfriend mode" sounds. Is it sexist? Yeah, probably. Is it HILARIOUS? Absolutely.

m19

Jun 13, 2012
This is basically what I've tried to say in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvu2H338VQ

The context is about relationships, not women, and not in it's meaning sexist.