Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep Review

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I haven't played this game yet, but this DLC looks quite awesome. If there's ever a "complete" version - kind of like the GOTY for Fallout 3 - I'll "probo" get it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, at least they didn't put in rust monsters. :p

I might have to try this. Eventually.

Trekkie

Sep 21, 2008
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
Trekkie said:
I need a party to play through this with.

also anyone know what that song that was playing through the credits was?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/6420-Breaking-Down-The-Borders-Borderlands-2
while it is a good song; I would say it's not one even one of miracle of sound's best songs
And with that, £8 just left my back account and through iTunes.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
nuba km said:
Goofguy said:
Sounds like a great way to finish off the BL2 experience, really looking forward to playing this with my friend.
well gearbox has said that while this is the last dlc in the season pass they are most likely going to make more dlc.
Ah ok, I assumed the last DLC of the season pass was the last big DLC, period. Did Gearbox mention if any new content would be as substantial?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Falseprophet said:
Slycne said:
And on a related note, they missed a prime opportunity to call this DLC The Keep on the Borderlands [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keep_on_the_Borderlands].
Hahaha, I know there's legal copyright blahblah to consider, but that's really perfect.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Goofguy said:
nuba km said:
Goofguy said:
Sounds like a great way to finish off the BL2 experience, really looking forward to playing this with my friend.
well gearbox has said that while this is the last dlc in the season pass they are most likely going to make more dlc.
Ah ok, I assumed the last DLC of the season pass was the last big DLC, period. Did Gearbox mention if any new content would be as substantial?
nothing official but they have said they might even have a second season pass so imagine they will be at least the size of the previous three campaign expansions.

toomuchnothing said:
Sad to hear that the new weapons aren't anything to write home about. I know they added grenade mods that cast spells [http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Spell_Grenade] instead of throw grenades and your character is also supposed to hell out the spell thats cast. Looking forward to hearing Krieg scream LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! NIPPLE SALADS! LIGHTNING BOLT!
there is a gun that shoots a sword, which explodes, to produce three more swords, that also explode, guess who makes it. trust me some of the new guns look pretty awesome there's even another legendary added(returning) the ogre.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Nasrin said:
Bolt-206 said:
OT: Hard to find it much of a surprise that True Vault hunter mode in this DLC is hard; I probably spent most of the main campaign in that mode losing several million credits. :/
Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode took me from like $100m to 0. Seriously. 0.
Slag. Use it.

And if nothing else seems to be working, there's always Shamfleet or Beehawk (for those who do not know, those are probably the two most broken combos in the game right now).

There's also melee Zer0 (that's how I did my first solo UVH playthrough). Spec'd with the right gear, he can tank through just about anything. I recommend maxing his cunning tree first because Death Blossom is too good to pass up.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
Nasrin said:
Bolt-206 said:
OT: Hard to find it much of a surprise that True Vault hunter mode in this DLC is hard; I probably spent most of the main campaign in that mode losing several million credits. :/
Slag. Use it.

And if nothing else seems to be working, there's always Shamfleet or Beehawk (for those who do not know, those are probably the two most broken combos in the game right now).

There's also melee Zer0 (that's how I did my first solo UVH playthrough). Spec'd with the right gear, he can tank through just about anything. I recommend maxing his cunning tree first because Death Blossom is too good to pass up.
Slag doesn't matter if you can't even get close enough to hit anyone with it.

And I don't think someone should be almost forced to farm for hours for certain items just to have a chance.

Anyway...

The DLC looks fun. It's downloaded and we're probably going to give it a whirl this weekend.
Looking forward to it.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I will have to agree with most of this review, though me and one other friend went through it all together in Ultimate Vault Hunter as level 61s. That shotgun that shoots swords is actually very helpful and awesome.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
BEST DLC EVA'!!!!

Only problem is now that I've beat the main story-line, I can't open up my quests menu. It crashes the game. Looked around and found it's a common issue. Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon.

Also, did anyone else find an abundance of Legendaries? I found four! Granted two I already had, but still, that's a lot in one sitting/ day.

Edit: Just had another Legendary drop (Ogre!) while doing the arena. Wasn't even a Badass run. So five drops during one run through of the DLC without even killing the Raid boss yet (game keeps crashing before I get to it.)

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
I loved it. I was let down by Hammerlock's Hunt but this absolutely redeemed it. The new monsters, difficulty curve(goodbye money!) to the actual story and character interaction was AWESOME! I think Mr. Torgue might be my new favorite character. Like for real.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
New Troll said:
BEST DLC EVA'!!!!

Only problem is now that I've beat the main story-line, I can't open up my quests menu. It crashes the game. Looked around and found it's a common issue. Hopefully it'll get sorted out soon.

Also, did anyone else find an abundance of Legendaries? I found four! Granted two I already had, but still, that's a lot in one sitting/ day.

Edit: Just had another Legendary drop (Ogre!) while doing the arena. Wasn't even a Badass run. So five drops during one run through of the DLC without even killing the Raid boss yet (game keeps crashing before I get to it.)
Only legendary I got during my run through was a Conference Call off the final boss and a seraph pistol off the raid bosses. Apparently the new Eridium slot machines can give out pearlescents too.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
I loved this DLC so much.

The best quest I've encountered so far consisted of nothing but four lines of dialogue but I was reduced to constant giggles for 15 minutes afterward. Spoilers!:

Tina: Butt Stallion wants you to pet her.
Mordecai: How do we pet her?
Tina: Slap her on her bandonkadonk. Duh!
-Pets Butt Stallion-
Brick: I pet the pony!

--

Some words may have been lost in translation. And giggles.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
piinyouri said:
RedDeadFred said:
Nasrin said:
Bolt-206 said:
Slag. Use it.

Slag doesn't matter if you can't even get close enough to hit anyone with it.

And I don't think someone should be almost forced to farm for hours for certain items just to have a chance.
Not sure what to tell you... are you using cover a lot? That's the major change I've noticed from TVH to UVH is that you can't go in guns a blazing at all anymore.

As far as farming specific items goes:

Shamfleet does take a very long time and I would not recommend it (although it is basically easy mode for the whole game once obtained). It basically lets you have infinite ammo with the Norfleet by abusing the Sham shield. Using this combo and melee Zer0 are the only ways I've seen people solo Voracidous (most brokenly unfair boss ever IMO) on UVH.

Beehawk on the other hand is very easy to get. The Bee shield has a pretty high drop rate (compared to other Legendaries) and Hunter Helquist is extremely easy to farm quickly. The Sandhawk is a quest reward from the Pirate DLC. Combo those two together and you really don't even need slag.

For melee Zer0, almost all of the best items to use with him are quest rewards. Eviscerating Rubi, Rapier, Love Thumper, Law, and Order are all quite easy to obtain. The only item that you can use on him that requires any farming is the Hide of Terra and that doesn't take that long to drop.

Anyway, hopefully I'm not coming off the wrong way. Just trying to help cause I know when I first started UVH, I wanted to throw my controller at the TV by the time I got to Captain Flynt!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
Not sure what to tell you... are you using cover a lot? That's the major change I've noticed from TVH to UVH is that you can't go in guns a blazing at all anymore.

Shamfleet does take a very long time and I would not recommend it (although it is basically easy mode for the whole game once obtained). It basically lets you have infinite ammo with the Norfleet by abusing the Sham shield. Using this combo and melee Zer0 are the only ways I've seen people solo Voracidous (most brokenly unfair boss ever IMO) on UVH.

Beehawk on the other hand is very easy to get. The Bee shield has a pretty high drop rate (compared to other Legendaries) and Hunter Helquist is extremely easy to farm quickly. The Sandhawk is a quest reward from the Pirate DLC. Combo those two together and you really don't even need slag.

For melee Zer0, almost all of the best items to use with him are quest rewards. Eviscerating Rubi, Rapier, Love Thumper, Law, and Order are all quite easy to obtain. The only item that you can use on him that requires any farming is the Hide of Terra and that doesn't take that long to drop.

Anyway, hopefully I'm not coming off the wrong way. Just trying to help cause I know when I first started UVH, I wanted to throw my controller at the TV by the time I got to Captain Flynt!
Okay first, I apologize if I came off sounding hostile. BL is one of my favorite games and the fact that I feel more or less locked out of UVHM and thus 10 additional levels frustrates me.

As far as cover, I've always used cover. From the first game I was always hiding behind all the random junk on the battlefield. The problem in UVHM is I literally die in one or two shots. So the point of cover is to hide from enemy fire, pop up, take a few shots, then hide again. But I can be killed almost as soon as I emerge. Which seems kind of pointless to me.

Only character I've gotten to UVHM is a left speced Salvador. Is he known for being really hard to play in UVHM or am I doing something wrong?

I mean that's the thing though, I'm not doing much of anything, besides dying. It's not like there's a lot I can change.
I have the Bee shield on him, and while it was amazing in TVHM, it doesn't seem to do anything in Ultimate.
The main problem I have is how much defense the enemies have. I actually love the fast and loose style the game had up to that point, were you could die easily, but so could most enemies. It was somewhat like the Heaven and Hell mode in DMC3. Ultimate though just messes the whole formula up though it seems.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Finished the DLC last night on TVHM.

If you are at all a fan of the characters of Borderlands and have finished the main vanilla story then I really recommend it.

Some Tips:
-As Nasrin says, Bring at least one other person unless you have borderline broken gear
This game is definitely not scaled for solo. It's possible but it'll involve a lot of instant deaths and occasional frustration as you sometimes hit roadblock enemies (Damn level 55 Duke of Orcs, I see you found them in the video too). I solo'd it on TVHM right up to the final boss, for which I had to call for help, and I have to really recommend you bring a friend or your experience of the dlc might be impacted

-Bring lots of Eridium
Ammo shrines in boss arenas use a small amount of eridium as do other shrines, eridium gets you two rolls (highest roll used) on chest rarity rolls and you'll want an erridium stockpile with you because reasons.

-Dont rely on rocket launchers for boss kills
I had a pretty broken rocket launcher that I liked to use to chip down some of the various boss monster's hp right from the start, unfortunately ammo in boss arenas comes from ammo shrines which regenerate bullets but do not regenerate rockets, at all.
I loved the DLC though; all the references I spotted were great
Dark Souls
Prisoner boss fight is identical to dark souls Quelaag almost, Dark souls side quest, "4 kings" boss fight, archetectural similarities (including a hellkite dragon bridge)

Game of Thrones
Jeffory quest from the white knight, Marcus vending machine exit quote "Night is dark and full of monsters", a few others I spotted even though I dont watch the show or read the books.

and the overarching narrative of coming to terms with tragedy through abstract was beautiful.

The White Knight was a bit heartbreaking, particularly when Tina hated the Prisoner for what happened in the real world

The Dlc made me laugh and then immediately made me sad within about 5 minutes of introduction footage. Hearing the Borderlands 2 characters spoken reaction to some of the scenarios was great too, I'll definitely be playing through again to hear what some of the other say (I was playing Zer0 so I got some neat Haikus)

My favourite quest was...the first one you get from the guy in stocks.
"Fake Geek Guys". So heavily tongue in cheek

About those Mimics? "Worst Nightmare of..." "Slightly more terrifying". I jumped about a foot every single time, even when sorta expecting a mimic >.>

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
nuba km said:
Goofguy said:
nuba km said:
Goofguy said:
nothing official but they have said they might even have a second season pass so imagine they will be at least the size of the previous three campaign expansions.

toomuchnothing said:
Sad to hear that the new weapons aren't anything to write home about. I know they added grenade mods that cast spells [http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Spell_Grenade] instead of throw grenades and your character is also supposed to hell out the spell thats cast. Looking forward to hearing Krieg scream LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT! NIPPLE SALADS! LIGHTNING BOLT!
there is a gun that shoots a sword, which explodes, to produce three more swords, that also explode, guess who makes it. trust me some of the new guns look pretty awesome there's even another legendary added(returning) the ogre.
The Hyperion Moonbase is still there, and could use a General Knoxx-ing. They even set that up at the end of this DLC. (Why couldn't they just call the DLC "Bunkers and Badasses"?)

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
piinyouri said:
RedDeadFred said:

Okay first, I apologize if I came off sounding hostile. BL is one of my favorite games and the fact that I feel more or less locked out of UVHM and thus 10 additional levels frustrates me.

As far as cover, I've always used cover. From the first game I was always hiding behind all the random junk on the battlefield. The problem in UVHM is I literally die in one or two shots. So the point of cover is to hide from enemy fire, pop up, take a few shots, then hide again. But I can be killed almost as soon as I emerge. Which seems kind of pointless to me.

Only character I've gotten to UVHM is a left speced Salvador. Is he known for being really hard to play in UVHM or am I doing something wrong?

I mean that's the thing though, I'm not doing much of anything, besides dying. It's not like there's a lot I can change.
I have the Bee shield on him, and while it was amazing in TVHM, it doesn't seem to do anything in Ultimate.
The main problem I have is how much defense the enemies have. I actually love the fast and loose style the game had up to that point, were you could die easily, but so could most enemies. It was somewhat like the Heaven and Hell mode in DMC3. Ultimate though just messes the whole formula up though it seems.
Afraid I can't comment too much on the Gunzerker as he's the only character I haven't played much of yet. If it were me (and I don't know how well this would work) I would spec into whichever tree gives you more Gunzerking duration and faster cooldown. I know there's a combination of skill points and class mods that will give you infinite Gunzerking. That should help a lot since you are constantly regenerating bullets and health. I would recommend using the Rubi (quest reward) in the left hand as it slags enemies and heals you for 12.5% of ANY damage you do while you are holding the gun. In your right hand, I would use either an Infinity (although that's a ************ to farm -I still don't have one) or the much easier to obtain and much more damaging Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold (farm Torque Tokens and just keep checking the vending machines until you get it). That should give you enough damage that you really wouldn't even need the Bee and can instead focus on much better defensive shields. As far as those go, there's a lot of good ones so I'd either go with an elemental resist one or the Sham.

I think using the when using the Gunzerker in UVH you probably have to abuse his action skill seeing as he doesn't have anyway to remove enemy attention from himself (Axton has his turret, Zer0 goes invisible and has a clone, Maya has thought lock, and Gaige has Deathtrap). Hopefully that gives you the upper-hand.

Edit: I should probably mention that having just played through the campaign of this DLC, the review is spot on. I laughed a lot and I also teared up a bit. The new enemies were awesome and offered varied and exciting challenges. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking in some areas. Overall, if this were to be the last piece of DLC, it would be a more than worthy send-off to this awesome game. However, a bit of dialogue at the end of the DLC leads me to believe there will be more!
Now to finish all of the side quests.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
I'm so glad the review was done by someone other than the unprofessional douchebag who did the announcement of this DLC. Good stuff.