Borderlands: Hey, cut it some slack.

Ganado_Headshot

Jan 13, 2009
I recently saw the new trailer for Borderlands, and to be quite honest, I was apalled. I had seen earlier videos, and I thought it looked like the best game I'd ever laid eyes on. So naturally I was very dissapointed when they made the change to the more cartoon-esque style of graphics. I couldn't believe it. I had given up on the game. I was prepared to let the release date slip by unnoticed. I saw the trailer a few more time, and each time I watched it, I noticed a new interesting tid-bit about it. I watched it more and more, and I reallized hey, this game could actually be pretty sweet. I'm now looking forward to it with anxiety, I really can't wait. I can forgive the art style they are going for, because hey, 187 bazillion guns is just awesome.

Any thoughts on the subject? Did anyone have the same reaction? Who thinks it'll be good, and who thinks it'll be bad. I wanna hear your thoughts. Go nuts!

throwitinthetrash

Apr 15, 2009
I prefer the graphic novel-esque art style they've gone with and I'm sure the game it's self will be a hit because
- Diablo sold well
- FPS's sell well
And I'm going to preorder it :]

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
Greyfox105 said:
I lost interest when it went cartoon.
That's quite a stupid reason to lose interest in a game to be honest.
"This game is doing everything for me"
*Few months later*
"Wow, they changed the art style, I'm no longer interested"

Even though they've added alot more to the game than before. Yeah, kinda stupid.

Reminds me when people got angry over Diablo 3 changing it's colour palette, was just as stupid.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
it definitely looks interesting, and the new art style hasn't changed my opinion, but frankly I wasn't too excited in the first place - I thought it had already come out.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
I saw the original stuff and though "Well... That looks bland". I then read a PCG article detailing the new visuals and how it was done, why they did, the reactions from the CEO when he found out that they had spent 2 weeks overhauling graphics 3 weeks into production and suddenly got interested. I waited for a gameplay vid and when they finally got a non grittty vid out I saw it and thought "Woohoo, now we're talking". AKA, I had exactly the opposite reaction to you. As for the weapon count, it was hardly suprising given that they flat out stated that it was inspired by Diablo 2, so you shouldn't expect any less than a million.

WlknCntrdiction said:
Reminds me when people got angry over Diablo 3 changing it's colour palette, was just as stupid.
In their defense, the similarities between it and WoW were too numerous to be coincidence, and there was definite presence of the letters "DPS" on the inventory screen. Most of the well founded objection were related to how Blizzard was just making what looked like a WoW clone, from inventory to stats to visuals. Plus those shoulder pads look frackin' ridiculous. Too ridiculous for even Diablo.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
what's wrong with the new art style? It's what attracted me to the game in the first place: it separates the game from every other Post-apocalyptic brown and grey-a-thon out there (Fallout 3, Rage). It's nice to see developers going in a completely unexpected direction.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
I like the cartoon-esq, graphic novel look too. in one of the developer interviews which I saw on another site they said that midway through development they wanted the look of the game to look like concept art. You know when you see early concept art for a game and it looks so much more awesome than the final product? Like in mass effect, the first generation of concept art was awesome. That's the look they were going for and I like it, makes a change from realistic stuff.

Im a bit nervous about the whole random weapons thing, I mean how will it work? Also will it actually have depth or will it end up being cheap? Either way ill give it a month or so until I buy it, im sure one of my friends will get it anyway.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
I hadn't even heard about it until the art style-rage started, so I don't mind. Hell, you might say I prefer the current style to the previous one.

Looks like it could be quite nice, but I'm not overly hyped about it. I'll let it slide unless it has good reviews or the like.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
I like the new art style more than the Ripped off from fallout visuals they had before. It gives the game it's own personality.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
WlknCntrdiction said:
Greyfox105 said:
I lost interest when it went cartoon.
That's quite a stupid reason to lose interest in a game to be honest.
"This game is doing everything for me"
*Few months later*
"Wow, they changed the art style, I'm no longer interested"

Even though they've added alot more to the game than before. Yeah, kinda stupid.

My curiousity was only slightly piqued by it in the first place, I wasn't exactly hollering for it to be realeased now.
so it just turned a potential buy into an unlikely buy.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I'm not going to lie, my interest in this title has been directly proportional to Dragon Age getting pushed back. It looks to be fun enough and coupled with enough depth through the obscene amount of guns, co-op play and tweaking character builds to be worth the price of entry. I can dig the art atheistic if it's fully realized through out the whole world.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Their is over 5000 guns. You can critisize it all you want but you will always be scilenced by a headshot from gun number 723, the scilenced rocket launcher shotgun, that has a scope, and is also a chainsaw that prints money.