Borderlands: Is there such a thing as the Ultimate weapon?

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Steel Matador shotguns are really overpowered.

Im level 61 and I still use a level 35 Steel Matador.

12x300 damage per shot+6 rounds per clip+very fast reload=amazing shotgun damage.

If I found a level 60 one from Crawmerax it would be godly.

Oh that or the chopper.

It fires all the bullets from your SDU when you tap the trigger.

Yes 1120 bullets in about 5 seconds.

Sadly the spread means you cant stand far away from it, but its amazing.

imPacT31

Mar 19, 2008
As a Soldier, I've found a pretty decent SMG that does something like 136 damage per shot with a rate of fire of about 10.8 shots per second. With all my mods and skills it has a magazine of about 130 rounds and, after a single kill, gets something like a 50% ROF boost with essentially no recoil.

Did I mention that my ammo regeneration rate means that I can never run out of bullets for this thing?

If only it was elemental ...

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Due to class mods, no. there's definitely no best gun for anyone.

Perhaps a best for class though.

Despite being a soldier and all, i have to say the only way my 4x smg isn't the best gun i own is because of the + shotgun damage + shotgun firing rate class mod i have and this neato orange shotgun that fires really fast and is somehow accurate past 10 feet. Also has 4x explosions, i think.

Still, that damned SMG is ridiculous. Horrifically inaccurate(and has a good zoom for no good reason lol) but it's like the fire truck hose of bullets. anything that gets close enough gets pretty much chewed to pieces.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
MiracleOfSound said:
What weapon do people find effective against these:

Spiderants
Shotguns, Melee.

Guardians
Trespass :p

Kalezian said:
if your a pistol hunter, get The Dove, a great little pistol that never needs to reload, nor does it actually use ammo, a great back up weapon should you ever start to run out of ammo.
Unfortunately it's a bit cack. A pistol hunter's main weapon should always be a Pestilent Defiler. First because it's a revolver, and elemental revolvers are made of awesome and win, because they don't use up tech pool on a x2 proc, so they always proc for at least x2, and second because it's got good damage (I had one with about 450 damage, six shots and something like 1.7 fire rate), and corrosive, which deals with all the meatiest enemies in the game. (elemental weapons have a hidden ammo stat called tech pool, whenever the elemental effect goes off a certain amount is deducted from the tech pool based on the strength of the effect, which is random between x1 and x4. The tech pool regenerates over time, which is why you'll usually proc for the first few shots and then stop for a while. Weapons tagged with increased elemental effect chance regenerate their tech pool faster. For revolvers the effect is between x2 and x4, but the x2 effect is free, so it always goes off. (This is also what the Maliwan Hellfire does, which is why it is no question the best SMG)

I backed up my PD with a roughly evenly statted x3 fire revolver, so I could switch off based on the enemy's resistances. (I also had an Orion and an Invader, the first a x3 shock sniper rifle at about 750 damage which fires a shot that splits into three which ricochet a few times, and the second a sniper rifle at about 150 damage that fires bursts of five bullets when zoomed in, which is especially good for murdering bosses which tend to have generous crit zones)

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
So far, the best weapon I've found is a machine gun....

284 damage
12 fire rate
3x fire damage.

In the hands of my soldier it's absolutely beastly and comes with a 212 round clip.

Oktanas

Apr 16, 2009
I will go with Mallivans vulcano (sniper rifle) and roaster (missile launcher) Both deals area fire damage.

chalk120

Oct 30, 2010
you guys are idiots theres a eridian shot gun with 7.30 acuracy and shoots 1403*15 and it actually shoots fuckin lightinging

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
So nobody here has found The Chopper?
An assault rifle which deals around 290+ damage per bullet and fires 4 bullets per click! Oh, and it fires its entire magazine when you shoot it. And it's magazine is over 500 bullets.

loveorwar132

Jun 2, 2011
try this kill crawmax on playthough 2 keep doing it to get eridian guns easy and if your lucky you will find a shot made by no manifactur that has 99999 when shot at enemys.
bam! blood and guts everywhere

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Well ... if you have a fair bit of +rocket ammo regen ... the ultimate gun would be a silly spread fire launcher. Preferably elemental.
Just aim at the ground somewhere in front of you, and cackle.

Ok, sure ... it doesn't take down stuff as fast as my siren with an ridiculously awesome hellfire (I'll see if borderlands is still installed .. I'll edit this post and put in a pic if it is), but it's more awesome.

EDIT:

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Sewblon said:
In terms of raw damage per shot, its probably Baron Flynt's RPG. But is it me, or are the shotguns in Borderlands really overpowered?
If you're a soldier(has a skill to reduce shotgun spread by 25%) with a shotgun that already has a very small spread, yes. The normal ones that spew shit everywhere are useless though.

The only shotguns I've seen that were really, really good for that were some 30-40's orange ones that I'm still using into the 60's because nothing better will drop.

Edit: Actually, I apparently lied. I logged on really quick and remembered I eventually gave up on the old shotgun and replaced it for one that was slightly weaker but had a tighter spread, and an obscenely powerful one that has a horrific spread.

Close Range:

Long Range:

The close range has 11 total pellets, for a max non-crit of 3553 damage. Sounds crazy, but look at how inaccurate this thing is:

The long range one's reticule actually forms a tiny circle(too lazy to screenshot again), but it only has 7 pellets, so it's max non-crit damage is 1253. Much easier to actually get crits with though, whereas the other one will often hit several different spots on a guy and you're lucky if one of those happens to crit.

Still, with maxed shotgun proficiency and +15% bullet damage and +25% shotgun damage the damage is somewhere around ridiculous. I dunno how well launchers would work in comparison, because I can never get them to work right or something. I've shot them and directly hit stuff before, but they always do a fraction of the damage on the actual weapon stats.

Edit2: I also forgot my commando class mod that gives +75% shotgun fire rate and +36% shotgun damage. It's pretty silly.

MasterLogo51

Jun 15, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
Well the ultimate gun would proably have the best everything. Best Damage,Best Reload Speed, Best Accuracy. If I had to hazard a guess,I would have to say that if it does exist then it's proably a Sniper Rifle.
Your right, it is. The weapon is called the Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle. Damage- 223231x5 Accuracy- 56.7 Fire Rate-8.3 The gun may not have all the best stats but it is one hit kill for anything in game no matter what playthrough. The gun is invisible and turns you invisible as well. Shoots 4 rounds at once (at least the one I have). (Not including DLCs.)

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
The Pearlcent weapons are always "The ultimate weapon", as they are incredibly rare, yet, are able to do absolutely astounding damage to all targets. I've seen a machine gun that took out 990 rounds in 13 seconds. FUCKING HELL!

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
There are ultimate weapons.

Each Weapon class (and a shield) has a Pearlescent(Light blue) variant. Theyre incredibly rare, and only drop from Max level+3 Crimson elites from the After-story Arena Battle, Or from Crawmerax.

Joe Bleasdale

Nov 28, 2011
never played online then? they have weapons called 'stock' and an omega sheild i think they may be glitches or cheats but omega has over 200,000 hp and the 'stock' shotgun has over 200,000 X10 damage and neither have any level limits. more to the point have theese just been modded in? i got the sheild after killing sledge