Botanicula Debuts in a Pay-What-You-Want Deal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Botanicula Debuts in a Pay-What-You-Want Deal

Botanicula joins Machinarium and Samorost in an amazing Humble Bundle.

The point-and-click adventure Samorost [http://botanicula.net/]. Early reviews sound very positive, which is hardly a surprise given the excellence of its wonderful predecessors, and now we have even better news: the game is out now as part of a new pay-what-you-want bundle, the Humble Botanicula Debut.

That's right, the brand-new Botanicula can be had, completely legitimately, for whatever price you want to pay. [As always, try not to be a jerk about it.] It's a great package, including the award-winning Machinarium [have I mentioned how much I like that game?] and the old-but-still-excellent Samorost 2, plus soundtracks for all three games. People who pay more than the average will also get Kooky, a short film directed by Amanita Design founder Jakub Dvorský, and the Vectorpark point-and-click adventure Windosill [http://windosill.com/].

In a bit of a Botanicula-inspired twist, charity support in this bundle will go to World Land Trust [http://www.worldlandtrust.org/], an international foundation launched in 1989 that works to preserve plants, animals and communities in threatened habitats around the world.

As usual, payments can be divided between the developers, the World Land Trust charity and the Humble Bundle folks who put this all together. All the games in the bundle are available in Windows, Mac and Linux versions, and payments of $5 or more earn Steam keys as well as DRM-free direct downloads. This is a hugely good deal, possibly my favorite Humble Bundle yet, and adventure fans would be nuts to miss it. So don't miss it! The pay-what-you-want Humble Botanicula Debut is live now at humblebundle.com [http://www.humblebundle.com].

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
I've already got 3/4 of these games but i'll definitely be getting this cos i've been looking forward to Botanicula for ages!

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Wow, amazing deal! I passed on the last one because I already owned several of them. This is a must-buy though.

Andy, you might want to fix the Humble Bundle link. All their Escapist referrals are going to end up coming via YouTube.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thanks for the heads up. Apparently copy/paste is tougher than it looks.

And yes, this is a great deal. Machinarium is just one of those games for me and Botanicula looks brilliant. Even Samorost has held up really well. Amanita games aren't for everyone... but they should be.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Have those games, including Botanica that I got from GOG... and now they give it to me in a bundle! Argh!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Soooooooo it's a game about vampiric plants? :p Sorry, just couldn't resist.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Holy crap check out the average right now. $8.70 that's way higher than normal. Also a bit of news on the GOG forums there's a whole bunch of controversy going on since a lot of people pre ordered Botanicula there for $10 and on the day of release they did the Humble Indie Bundle so there's obviously some upset people.
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/release_botanicula/page1

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
Holy crap check out the average right now. $8.70 that's way higher than normal. Also a bit of news on the GOG forums there's a whole bunch of controversy going on since a lot of people pre ordered Botanicula there for $10 and on the day of release they did the Humble Indie Bundle so there's obviously some upset people.
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/release_botanicula/page1
Got to admit I felt a bit miffed that I pre ordered it last week. However I can now get a drm free version of machinarium as well as native linux versionsso all is good. I just won't be able to put as much into humble bundle as i usually do.

Cenobite85

Jan 27, 2012
I'll admit that right now I don't think I'll be getting this as I perfer to play games on Steam and I have Machinarioum and Samorost 2 already. I know 5 dollars isn't much for the key but I am so poor it hurts right now. I'd gladly pay 5 for more games I didn't already own. Also why is the average so high on this one?

Vardermir

Jan 18, 2009
Cenobite85 said:
I'll admit that right now I don't think I'll be getting this as I perfer to play games on Steam and I have Machinarioum and Samorost 2 already. I know 5 dollars isn't much for the key but I am so poor it hurts right now. I'd gladly pay 5 for more games I didn't already own. Also why is the average so high on this one?
I think its because in the past you only had to pay 1 dollar for a steam key. Now they are asking for 5, so all those who wish to pay the minimum for steam keys are forced to pay 5, bringing the average WAY up. I guess this is the end of extremely cheap bundles if they keep steam keys valued at 5.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Soooooooo it's a game about vampiric plants? :p Sorry, just couldn't resist.
Actually, what came to mind for me was Dracula dressed in a sun hat and apron bent over in a greenhouse while holding a spade.

What? The undead need a hobby too. Frankenstein's monster builds ships in a bottle and Imhotep's mummy raises tropical fish.

Dreadjaws

Nov 29, 2011
I preordered the game from GOG, and I already owned all those other games in the Bundle, but even if I didn't own any of them, I'd still get it from GOG. This is a very low blow to GOG, Gamersgate and whomever else offered the game for pre-order, since it's clear they had no idea there was going to be a Humble Bundle, and much less at release day.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I've been saying it since the 2nd humble bundle, there is no reason consumers should bother to drop money on an indie game full price because within a month it will be tossed into one of the many bundles out there, and now we've actually reached a point where a game is tossed into a bundle the day it came out. People who pre-ordered this game should be furious.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Wow. There have been some awesome deals with Humble Indie Bundles but... this is a /brand new game/ that people have been expecting and getting excited about for a while now. And they're doing this for a charity that totally makes sense... These guys are awesome. I was a little unsure about it because point-and-click was never my thing and I thought it might be a bit pricey but I'll have to get it now.