Bought another 360 just to play Lost Odyssey again

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I sold my 360 a year ago but I haven't played Lost Odyssey for a few years before that. I had the itch for awhile to play it and the other day I took the plunge and bought the 360/Halo 4/Tomb Raider bundle and then straight to Gamestop to pick up Lost Odyssey.

Playing this game is like saying hello to an old friend, an old friend whose kind was kicked to the curb for not being innovative enough. Indeed, last gen we saw mostly Action RPG's no matter if they lead with a J or a W.

I forgot that Lost Odyssey can be hard if you aren't ready for it. The fight against the General at Great Staff and the fight in the flower garden with the Nomura Calvary can hand you your ass (I just finished that section) and if you ever find yourself on the defensive side, it's damn near impossible to come back. You can't heal fast enough to compensate for the damage you are taking.

The short stories are amazing and I have forgotten most of them as years have passed. I just met Kaim's daughter, a scene that might not leave you with a dry eye.

I miss games like this. Don't you?

So I thought, let's talk about Lost Odyssey and how it was one of the best JRPG's this gen (I think it was the best), what makes it so good and what other JRPG's (like the FF13 series) didn't do right.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
The 1000 years of dreams were amazingly written. The first game to bring a tear to my eye. I remember the story with the old lady who everone thought was senile, and remember kaim back when she was a child. One of the saddest things i ever read.

The game itself was really good, if a little slow, but still one of my favorite games this gen.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Love Lost Odyssey I have only finished it twice though. The characters are mostly good the story is nice the 1000 years story segments were amazing I only wish there were more and they paid as much attention to the others as they did Kain. I found the game a tad easy though even the supposedly ultimate battle against Immortal is ridiculously easy I beat it both times without really trying and never felt in any danger.

Its one of the true great RPGs last gen and way better than Blue Dragon which is frankly awful I was so glad when that piece of garbage finished. I also liked the leveling system 1 to 100 for every level was really nice I wish others copied that.

Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story on the Wii though were better than Lost Odyssey and actually gave the genre a bit of a kick in the ass but if Mistwalker keeps up their trend of making better and better games each time (Blue Dragon-Lost Odyssey-The Last Story) then their next RPG will be amazing. Them and Monolith Soft are definitely two studios to keep an eye on for RPGs.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Maximum Bert said:
Its one of the true great RPGs last gen and way better than Blue Dragon which is frankly awful I was so glad when that piece of garbage finished. I also liked the leveling system 1 to 100 for every level was really nice I wish others copied that.
I couldn't finish Blue Dragon. It irked me too much.

Lost Odyssey is my favourite JRPG too - it just does everything right. Characters, story, mechanics. Everything about the game just felt right.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, I definitely think it was the best JRPG of the 7th gen, which definitely surprised me considering it was on the 360.

Some of those 1000 Years of Dream, man. D:

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I bought my 360 for the purpose of playing Lost Odyssey, it didn't disappoint me. It's a solid, well-crafted game that puts more emphasis on story than I've seen in a long time. The characters who started out unlikable ended up being likable by the end, the side stories are great and when you go to the old mansion, oh man that was awesome.

Sure it doesn't have very innovative gameplay, it doesn't break from the JRPG formula almost at all, but I really can't say that I care. I would rather a solid made game that does everything right, but isn't groundbreaking over a shitty game that tries to be innovative. The same can be said for Ni Ni Kuni, they both at least have a charm to them that feels like it was lacking in quite a few games last gen.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I don't blame you. I jumped ship from 360 to PS3 a few years back when my 360 was on its way out, and I haven't regretted it...EXCEPT when I saw that copy of Lost Odyssey pass out of my possession and I knew I wouldn't be able to re-visit it without buying another 360 and re-buying the game down the road.

I wish I had the cash to do what you just did. Such a great game; SO much better than FFXIII it's not even funny.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I still need to play The Last Story. I tried many times to play Blue Dragon and I just couldn't get into it. Searching everywhere for "Nothing" was cool at first but got old fast. The characters were pretty damn annoying and to be honest, fighting with your shadow just didn't do it for me. I never made it past Disc 2 of that game.

I also picked up Lighting Returns the other day. Lost Odyssey is a better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy is. Even though I like FF13 (not 13-2 and Lightning Returns), when you compare them to Lost Odyssey, those games look even less liked RPG's.

I think Lost Odyssey does a pretty good job of developing the characters, even Gongora is shown to be sufficiently evil. Sort of reminds me of Jafar from Aladdin. Turning into a snake probably helped with the impression. The funeral scene hit me harder than it ever has, must have been in a certain mood. If it weren't for that flow breaking minigame where you have to light the torches, it would have been perfect.

I just finished the Crimson Forest and got Mack back, can't believe the game puts him in the front row. I wonder if we will see a Lost Odyssey 2 or if this will be a stand alone game?

The battle system is just about perfect too, the ring system is nice and the ability learning system is like Espers in Final Fantasy VI. A game that I have been playing on my tablet. The back row mechanic is so good it makes me wonder why it took so long for JRPG makers to get it right (or maybe they did and LO copies it). I also wonder why it hasn't been copied since. The concept of a back row that takes and does less damage is nothing new but it has never been implemented so well (that I know of). It's easy to understand and visually responsive to attacks.

Captcha FAILED: because I answered Not Applicable to a question about travel websites. It was a multiple choice Captcha. How can those be FAILED?

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Loved it, i really want to finish it too, but the damn 3'rd disk is unreadable...and this has been the case with the last 3 copies that i bought/exchanged. I'm not sure why this is but maybe the gaming gods just don't want me to finish the game. The 1000 years of dreams are some of the best stories i have ever read too.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
x EvilErmine x said:
Loved it, i really want to finish it too, but the damn 3'rd disk is unreadable...and this has been the case with the last 3 copies that i bought/exchanged. I'm not sure why this is but maybe the gaming gods just don't want me to finish the game. The 1000 years of dreams are some of the best stories i have ever read too.
If you look at the shitty way Microsoft packed the game. Standard DVD case with 3 Discs stacked on top of each other and the 4th disc in a sleeve, it's terrible. On my first copy, the 4th disc was unreadable. Took it back and got a different one. This time around, I installed all 4 discs straight away to ensure that they were all readable.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I love it, it's one of my favourite games for the 360. The stories are incredibly well written and powerful, most of them left me in tears. I feel they played a part in me getting over my writers block. The combat is pretty damn great too.
WeepingAngels said:
I still need to play The Last Story.
You will not be disappointed. It's a great, solid game and I absolutely adored it. The soundtrack is fantastic. I regret selling it :( I'd love to play it again.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Lost Odyssey is an amazing experience.

Not saying I'd buy another 360 to play it again, but it's definitely worth a replay every few years.

Binkan

Oct 14, 2012
Yea Lost odyssey is a damn good game, besides it was Nobuo uematsu who did the music for it which make the game so much more better and I gotta agree it was hard if you didn't know what you did but you could practically break the game due to the immunities you could get.

Dunno when you get them but I know that i had both phys and magick immunity and couldn't die with them, can't remember which ones had it but i think it was the immortal guys that could copy skills from the rest which made them truly immortal xD

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
x EvilErmine x said:
If you look at the shitty way Microsoft packed the game. Standard DVD case with 3 Discs stacked on top of each other and the 4th disc in a sleeve, it's terrible. On my first copy, the 4th disc was unreadable. Took it back and got a different one. This time around, I installed all 4 discs straight away to ensure that they were all readable.
I tried that, still no joy :eek:( I always install all my games to the HDD because in a small room the disk drive on my x-box sounds like a jet engine.

If anyone reading this has a working copy of the game that they don't want any more then I will happily buy it off you, I'm in the UK though so i don't think any other territories but Europe will work.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
You know, this makes me feel at least 4x better about doing the same; I've always kept up with Nintendo and Sony systems (60GB PS3, PSP, PSVita, NDS, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U), and even started budding Steam library. Xbox 360 is the only system I had no incentive to buy.

Then I took that leap for Lost Odyssey. That and Guilty Gear 2: Overture (I'm pretty sure this is crap, but hell, it was $2) are the only games in my 360 library.

'Backlog syndrome' afflicts me so, but when I'm excited to get around to it. Glad to see more positivity towards it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
remnant_phoenix said:
I don't blame you. I jumped ship from 360 to PS3 a few years back when my 360 was on its way out, and I haven't regretted it...EXCEPT when I saw that copy of Lost Odyssey pass out of my possession and I knew I wouldn't be able to re-visit it without buying another 360 and re-buying the game down the road.

I wish I had the cash to do what you just did. Such a great game; SO much better than FFXIII it's not even funny.
I made a similar switch. It kills me that mine died before I could play Halo 4.

I actually had this, thought it difficult and didn't revisit it and sold it with the rest of my stuff (the 360 died, but Gamestop gave me money for the other stuff. Even the functioning power brick).

Maybe it will come to PC?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I doubt it will ever come to PC. Microsoft is closing their digital download service and I don't think they care much about PC gaming. They tried to create a PC version of Xbox Live and it failed.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I totally agree with you, I sold my xbox 360 too when I got my PS3 and the only game I really miss for it that was exclusive is Lost Odyssey.

It was a beautiful experience and it made me cry which is pretty rare for a game to do. Every other game I love for the Xbox I can get for the PS3 except the Halo series. All the RPGS I liked anyway. Sucks this one never went multiplatform, since it is such a japanese feeling game. Now I feel like playing it and there is no way I am buying another Xbox.

I remember the music giving my goose pimples. The short stories were almost always tissue worthy and the gameplay/characters were all awesome. Guess if I ever wanted to re-live it I could look up a Let's play on youtube or something.