Boy Brings Gun To School, Father Blames Minecraft

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, bad parenting and yadda yadda. How does a kid decide to go on a killing spree? My parents would have to have untaught me to be human for me to do that? Remember, this is a nine year old, still in the age of 'everything is magic', not the usual unhappy teenager.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
I think we're letting the ridiculousness of the Minecraft blame overshadow the fact that this fuckwit left multiple deadly weapons where his nine year old son could get them.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Seriously? The kid only plays the game for a fucking HOUR a day and THAT'S the cause for this?! That barely even amounts to a hobby.
Probably a vast understatement, to try and make him sound like a better parent...
Sorry to cut your comment so short, but I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING he said was to make him sound like a better parent. I wouldn't be surprised if he was bullshitting about the gun having a removed pin. I mean, come on... Why would you do that, leave the thing lying around because you thinks it's safe, then act surprised when your son takes it to school and throw it away? (btw assuming on the last two points due to vagueness in the article)

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Infernal Lawyer said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Seriously? The kid only plays the game for a fucking HOUR a day and THAT'S the cause for this?! That barely even amounts to a hobby.
Probably a vast understatement, to try and make him sound like a better parent...
Sorry to cut your comment so short, but I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING he said was to make him sound like a better parent. I wouldn't be surprised if he was bullshitting about the gun having a removed pin. I mean, come on... Why would you do that, leave the thing lying around because you thinks it's safe, then act surprised when your son takes it to school and throw it away? (btw assuming on the last two points due to vagueness in the article)
Agreed! The fact that he leaves a weapon and ammo around for a 9yo to find, (and covertly take) makes me instantly suspicious of his character anyway. There is always more to these stories that meets the eye!

I also hate the media. Stories in papers should rarely be taken at face value, and more focus should be given to what was not said, not what was said!

KB13

Oct 3, 2011
Wait, wait, wait... so... the game you can play where

1. there are no guns unless modded in
2. can play in casual mode in which no weapons needed
3. suicidal bushes leap from no where to whip your sorry butt off the world

is being blamed and child services hasn't removed the child from the home!? Because obviously this man has no idea how to care for his child. He's nine and I know that there are these mystical things called the ESRB and PEGI, but this kid only plays for at most an hour a day whether or not this is a parent set rule or not is not really the issue but if you can't take an hour a day to sit with your kid and watch them play a game just proves you don't care about your child.

My father worked for the United States government in the health department when I was a child and he always spent time with me either letting me sit on his lap as he played DOOM(maybe not the best parenting choice but I never took a chainsaw and a BFG 9000 to school, so I think I turned out ok) or watched me play Star Trek. When the new generation of parents takes responsibility on parenting and stops blaming video games I'll eat my legs and become a nun.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Haha, Minecraft? Might as well blame knitting. That's a new one by me.

Some day, I'll know society is getting better when the headline reads: Father blames self.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
In this case it makes total sense people. Stop attacking the father just because we're all gamers here, no need to be fanatics. Minecraft has a lot to do with survival, the kid obviously is reflecting his survival skills, I wouldn't be surprised if Fox News found out he also has a shack or something built in his backyard... Fucking game...

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
GundamSentinel said:
Bwahahaha, Minecraft!

If I didn't know how anal some people can be about video games I'd say that this concerned dad was trolling.

Gun control? Nah, blame video games.
I legit think this parent has seen people blaming videgames he thought:

"Well the blame is going to be thrown at me. Shit, how can I get out of this!?" *neasrby tv report* "Videogames! That's brilliant! Everyone is blaming videogames as of late, now I just need a videogame to blame. Whats that game little Timmy plays?" *looks at computer shortcuts* "Ah, Minecraft! That'll do."
That's as disturbing as it is plausible... This is an eerie time we live in.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
... Why does he have ammo for a gun with no firing pin? The gun itself I could see as threatening but benign item.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Roflcakes! I know I should take that kind of stuff seriously - as it reflects badly on the gamer community to be constantly blamed for things like this. But minecraft? MINECRAFT?? I may as well try to blame all my problems on the fact that I played Pacman when I was a nipper.

This to me smacks of a classic misdirection "what will the neighbours think" kind of attitude. "It couldn't possibly be anything that I could have done anything about so know I take away all the games and PRESTO! problem solved".

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Xan Krieger said:
Also if the kid was trying to live out Minecraft in real life why didn't he start by chopping down a tree?
WITH HIS FISTS.
I'm dying. Cannot breathe :')

OT: After 5 minutes of laughing...I'm more concerned how a 9 year old was able to walk out of his house with such items. Didn't his dad pack his bag? You know, like most parents do? ¬_¬

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
orangeapples said:
Dominic Crossman said:
And I just realised they can't blame realistic graphics this time.
I was hoping someone would bring that up.

Oh god, do you all know what this means? No game is safe from the anti-gaming media!!!

kid brings bombs to school and somehow it will be Doodle Jump's fault.
Kid brings a Flame Thrower to school. It is revealed that the kids favourite Pokemon is Charizard...

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Great parenting there what can I say...when things go array blame videogames!

Now let me ask you this mr. "father": don't leave your -full loaded gun- into arms reach of your kid ? Just saying.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
... Why does he have ammo for a gun with no firing pin? The gun itself I could see as threatening but benign item.
It was likely a display piece, such as a revolver or similar in a display with ammunition (you see a lot of revolvers displayed in a case with 6 bullets), but the firearm itself was rendered non-functional by removal of the firing pin. I'm assuming this is what was taken by the child.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
arc1991 said:
I'm dying. Cannot breathe :')
Glad you enjoyed it.:)

arc1991 said:
OT: After 5 minutes of laughing...I'm more concerned how a 9 year old was able to walk out of his house with such items. Didn't his dad pack his bag? You know, like most parents do? ¬_¬
I think the problem with a lot of these weapon-at-school things is that the parents don't pack their kids' bags or otherwise show any concern or care for them.:/