Boycott Microsoft

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
The effectiveness of this boycott is questionable at best, but I support it. I will not buy an Xbone. I can gurantee you this.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
lol at boycotting again. So funny. Look, if you dont want an xbone, dont buy it. If you want one, then buy it. Quite simple, stop getting so over dramatic.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Requia said:
Yes, boycot Microsoft. Go PC gaming, where you will game on a... Microsoft machine.
This. You can boycot the Xbone all you want, but MS will still have quite the grip on the OS market.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Asuka Soryu said:
Don Mattrick said:
If you have internet, why would you boycott the xbox, it works just like steam and it is close to a PC.
Because it's taking away our rights and telling us that games aren't meant to be owned, you're just renting them while your system of choice has a built in death clock, waiting for the servers to be abandoned, turning it into a nice, heavy, paperweight. You boycott it to stop them from being able to push their BS ideas onto people.
so should we be boycotting steam as well? every steam game you buy is merely rented and in the very unlikely case that steam shuts down or they decide to terminate your account, your steam game library is gone. im not saying ill be buying an xbox one, but as a pc gamer, nothing microsoft is doing seems that different from what ive been experiencing on the pc for years

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I likely won't be getting the system, but not because of any boycott nor any of the issues causing bad press for MS. Just hasn't been any games that I really give a shit about yet, not do I have a large disposable income these days.

If either of those points change in some manner, I will certainly consider getting one, as it's 'flaws' really make no difference to me. But, the same points apply to the PS4, so we'll see which gets games I must have first.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
I don't have to boycott Microsoft. I don't want their product. In fact, with the advent of Win8, I no longer want any of their products.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I don't think boycotting is going to do enough to make Microsoft understand what we look for in a console, and understand the kind of responsibility and fool-proofing is needed for the kind of technology they plan to use in the Xbox One.

What we need is an open letter, not one to Microsoft, but to Microsoft's shareholders. If we can explain the technology used in Xbox One, the responsibilities that are required for their use, and the consequences and serious concerns around it at a level they can understand, then perhaps they'll be more wary of Microsoft's decisions. Perhaps we can also persuade them to demand a shareholders' meeting with both the executive boards of Microsoft and its Xbox division, just so they can see just who these executives making these decisions are, how they react to the questions we have arisen, and why they have angered the community so much. It might just make them demand the firings of a few individuals who's made one too many mistakes and avoided their punishment...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Requia said:
Yes, boycot Microsoft. Go PC gaming, where you will game on a... Microsoft machine.
Unlike with Xbox, 360 and Xbone games - Microsoft doesn't get any profit from PC games unless they were made by one of their studios, or if it uses Games For Windows Live (which, thankfully, few games use). So yes, you can still boycott Microsoft as a PC gamer if you wish. As for the operating system, you can always use Linux with WINE (it's free), but many games won't work properly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
Captcha: "love me?" - Wait, what?
Captchas need love too, man.

Sadly, I do think any boycott will end up with a lot of people secretly buying a Bone.

Not necessarily you, but people scream and cry and buy anyway. It's a fact of gaming.

Tom_green_day said:
Surely boycotting Microsoft is actually the same as just supporting Nintendo or Sony? In the gaming industry, I don't think a huge amount of people buy for various platforms.
The biggest problem with the "vote with your wallet" mantra is that there's no way to count a negative vote in itself. Sales figures are ridiculously one-sided. That's why EA and Sega can point to Mass Effect 3 and Aliens and make an argument.

It's easier to support positive practices than to punish negative ones. Especially in a busines that just says "piracy" and "haters gonna hate."

As such, it might be a good idea to actively support these other companies, but a vote against one is not necessarily a vote for another.

That said, on this forum I've been defending Xbox One a lot, and I'll just say here and now... I'm sick of it. Every time I try to defend it, Microsoft says 'oh, he doesn't hate us yet' and throws another spanner in the works making it just impossible for me to sympathise. C'mon Microsoft, it's as though you're asking for it :'(
So yeah, Sony fanboy now. Burn dem XOs!
Start hating faster, dude, maybe they'll stop fucking it up.

Don Mattrick said:
If you have internet, why would you boycott the xbox, it works just like steam and it is close to a PC.
Steam checks my games every 24 hours (every one hour for my non-primary game device)? I didn't know that. I kept playing Magic: the Gathering when my ISP was struck by lightning and my internet was down for almost two days. Steam must be screwing up or something.

A couple weeks ago, I ACCIDENTALLY had Steam in offline mode for days before I noticed. And I was all "huh, how did that happen?" Will Microsoft let me do that? I mean, if it works JUST LIKE STEAM.

This is one of my biggest things with the Bone. They've actually made Steam look good.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Nice speech, however...
Alfador_VII said:
Organised Boycotts just don't work.
Most gamers don't have the will power for that. They may talk a good game, but it'll only last until the next Call of Duty or whatever comes out and then the whole thing goes out the window. I know there are already gamers out there who are going to buy the damn thing despite it screwing it's customers up the ass because it's got some exclusive that they like. Way to see the big picture guys.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Am I really boycotting if I've already decided I want nothing to do with the console anyway?
Whether you're going to buy the Xbone or not I'd assume you've already made your decision.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
I'll boycott the xbone, I'm not buying one. (I run windows 7 and kubuntu linux myself)

Bit tired of xbone defenders main arguments being "it's not that bad" and "I can live with it" It's like being given the option of either being fucked in the ass by a 12" spiked dildo, or a 12" bladed dildo. Either way you're fucked.

And xbone exclusives? They are crap. Not very interesting at all. Now the PS4 has more interesting ones, hell even nintendo has better ones than the xbone. You say killer instinct for the xbone? It's garbage, looks like shit too, KI gold on the N64 was average, decent and fun at times. They new one doesn't appear that way.

To xboners, get a backbone, live without playing another shitty halo or gears of war game, hell, ms releases them on the PC, get it for that. Stop being apathetic to your rights, don't be an xboner and support the xbone, go support something else, PS4, Wii, PC, steambox, or whatever.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Oh Microsoft will sell consoles don't worry all this bad PR they are generation will damage their brand YES. But give people a Halo 102847284728 and they still buy the console. Give the people a Call of Duty.. and guess what they buy a damn console.

People are sheep MEEEEH get used to that. They will not end up with no console sold. BUT yeah the issues they are having right now WILL mean less players will go for the Xbox One.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
You're just now realizing that Microsoft is a crappy, out of touch company that can't make anything other Microsoft Office? I'd love to join you, but all the apps I need are on Windows. I'm waiting/praying for Valve to make Linux a more viable OS but until then I'm stuck with Windows 7. Dem chromebooks are looking better and better every day... I will refuse to buy the XB1 though. I'm not rich and white enough afford more than one console anyway, so I might as well not get the one that comes with guaranteed chance to ass fuck you

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
neppakyo said:
I'll boycott the xbone, I'm not buying one. (I run windows 7 and kubuntu linux myself)

Bit tired of xbone defenders main arguments being "it's not that bad" and "I can live with it" It's like being given the option of either being fucked in the ass by a 12" spiked dildo, or a 12" bladed dildo. Either way you're fucked.

And xbone exclusives? They are crap. Not very interesting at all. Now the PS4 has more interesting ones, hell even nintendo has better ones than the xbone. You say killer instinct for the xbone? It's garbage, looks like shit too, KI gold on the N64 was average, decent and fun at times. They new one doesn't appear that way.

To xboners, get a backbone, live without playing another shitty halo or gears of war game, hell, ms releases them on the PC, get it for that. Stop being apathetic to your rights, don't be an xboner and support the xbone, go support something else, PS4, Wii, PC, steambox, or whatever.
I'm gonna buy two.

OT: Ah boycotts. They say they stay on target. Until Darth Vader comes in and shoots them down. Wait..what was I getting at again?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
This is the easiest boycott ever.

Unless you just NEED the Halo, there's almost no reason to get the Xbox One.

It's more restrictive. It needs online authentication. It's $100 more expensive. Even the hardware is inferior to PS4's according to devs. It will have dramatically less indie support. It's region-locked. Trading games is a pain. Buying games is a pain. Sharing games is a pain. PLAYING games can be a pain. More features the PSN has (such as Hulu) the Xbox charges for. Hell, if you're not even in those 21 approved nations, you're screwed anyway (sorry, Africa, nearly all of Latin America, Eastern Europe, and Asia). You also have no assurance the games will even WORK in 10 years when the servers go offline.

PS4 is a superior system and a superior value.

Easiest boycott I've ever done, and I had an Xbox 360 last gen.

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Trishbot said:
Easiest boycott I've ever done, and I had an Xbox 360 last gen.
Word! I've been an XBOX supporter since Halo, and the 360 got me when I saw the first shots of Mass Effect (though 2 and 3 got progressively derp), so I'm pretty fanboyish. However, this time around Microsoft thinks it can fuck with my money, and that shit don't fly with me. Shit, I stopped buying things from certain companies simply because their products became inferior, to say nothing of this draconian online bullshit (and the creepy kinect stuff, but that's not my main issue)

The question is this: will the Sony fanbois let us in the club? I don't need to start liking weeaboo shit, do I?