Brütal Legend Creator Wants to Self-Publish Games

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Brutal legend I love thee. I'm actually half happy he's not making the second. As awesome as it would be, I like the idea of artificial suspense created by the ending of brutal lege...

MAKE ANOTHER FUCKING BRUTAL LEGEND AND FINISH THE GODDAMN STORY!!

-ahem-

But silliness aside. Shafer without a marketing team behind it sounds interesting. In that I think passion should be free but with direction, somehting schafer has always given.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
If he did that, he could make games without having to bow to what publishers want. That's a win right there.

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
I really enjoyed brutal legend and im not really a fan of rock music but i really liked the soundtrack and the world was amazing felt like how fable should of been but without the rpg elements.
The RTS bits where not that bad all the units where differnt and had there own back storys and abillites.
I hope he makes more games in the series although theres not really anouther music world to tap into couldnt see a Brutal legend game set in the world of hip hop :/

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
I'm for it. I have yet to actually play his games, but I see him more as a symbol anyway.
EDIT: As long as he releases stuff on steam too.
At the least pick up Psychonauts off of Steam. It should only be $9.99 right now and you'd be missing out if you didn't play through it.

OT: I'm all for more developers self-publishing, but given how hard it is to do I don't know if Double Fine is ever going to get a chance to. I'd love for it to happen, though - Schafer's gotten enough grief from publishers, and he could definitely use the independence.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
Schafer could cut off my fingers for a game and i wouldn't care. this guy should be allowed to do his thing unopposed.

P.S. obviously i wouldn't let him do that to me.

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
Every game made by Double Fine is a masterpiece so I wish him good luck whatever he does.

P.S. I think Brutal legend was to short

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Even though I was kind of dissapointed with it, I'm still glad I paid full price on release for Brutal Legend, to help support Mr. Schafer's noble goal.

And also: 4 new games underway? Sweet! I look forward to learning more.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
If only more people bought his games... I still don't understand why this is.
Because people don't like unique, and Double Fine games are nothing if not unique.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Brutal Legend was a great experiance, but a bullocks GAME Tim. All that cost, so little return. Good luck with that.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. On the one hand I'm glad I bought Brütal Legend. The story, although short, was a nice experience as expected, but the game itself... Most of the time I'm just not having fun, and towards the end you get killed very easily and you can't really wade into the fray with your battleaxe anymore (as was advertised :( ). In the end I'm cool with my money going to a good cause (Double Fine having a shot at making more games) but had I known in advance what I was buying I probably would've waited for a sale.

Jun 7, 2010
YES 4 games! Brutal legend is my absolute favirote game of this generation ( far beyond mw2 and uncharted 2 and just pips the orange box) My only critisism was that i finished it in a day (bought on saturday afternoon, finished on sunday afternoon) but i read somewhere that it was short because EA chopped huge chunks out of the game and the world was twice as big and there were lots more factions.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Go Digital Distribution! your cheapest option i'd assume ...well would having stuff on steam/impulse/direct2drive be working with a publisher or just a distributor?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I know the man is a legend in the game industry and I wish him well, but I'm not buying his games no matter who publishes them, not after Brutal Legend.