Braid Dev: Story-Based Games Are Bogus

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
nilcypher said:
*Sigh* Another gem from Jonathan Blow.

I can't quite decide whether he's completely genuine, or if he's just cynically trying to keep himself in the limelight. Let's face it, before Braid, Blow was hardly a household name, and as loathe as I am to use a such a trite sentiment, 'out of sight, out of mind' seems oddly appropriate.
This is my sentiment as well, which is kind of unfortunate given how much I enjoyed Braid. What disappoints me the most is that he COULD be spending this gripe time working on another fantastic game. Of course, if he is out of ideas but is coasting on the sweet high of popularity and narcissism then I can't imagine any better way to hold yourself up then making over-generalized controversial statements.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Just because he's never played a game with an immersive story doesn't mean they don't exist.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Maybe he's just all angry and bitter because he has to go through life with the name "Jonathan Blow."

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
A story is only good for immersion. If it was good for anything else, developers would be a hell of a lot more involved in it. As it is for most games in the current console generation, the story is just an excuse to go shooting things, or to go solve puzzles. It serves only to satiate a player in the few times he'll ask himself, "Wait, why the hell am I doing this?"

Then you have people like me, who like to be immersed. To me, the ability of a game to have me believe I'm somebody else is paramount. This lets players have an "experience" rather than just playing a game. When you're emotionally connected with the game, the satisfaction of finishing said game is that much sweeter. The prime example, of course, Silent Hill 2, was excellent for this. The story was so immersive that I didn't see the flaws of the combat system or the camera controls, I saw the limitations of the characters.

Braid, from what I have heard, was good, but entirely forgetable.

Never forget, the semblance of a story does not a story make.

Oh and before I forget, Blow is a pretentious git. The sentiment that he seems to be giving of (that games don't particularly need stories) is utterly preposterous.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Games with no story at all drive me insane. I cant get immersed into them in the slightest.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
coldfrog said:
nilcypher said:
*Sigh* Another gem from Jonathan Blow.

I can't quite decide whether he's completely genuine, or if he's just cynically trying to keep himself in the limelight. Let's face it, before Braid, Blow was hardly a household name, and as loathe as I am to use a such a trite sentiment, 'out of sight, out of mind' seems oddly appropriate.
This is my sentiment as well, which is kind of unfortunate given how much I enjoyed Braid. What disappoints me the most is that he COULD be spending this gripe time working on another fantastic game. Of course, if he is out of ideas but is coasting on the sweet high of popularity and narcissism then I can't imagine any better way to hold yourself up then making over-generalized controversial statements.
I doubt he is even a household name among gamers now. I knew about Braid but the name Blow before this would just have made me make sex puns.
Edit: Make him play Mass Effect. That game is story, spliced with the odd firefight!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I dunno I am much more willing to sit through a bad game when there is a good story involved as opposed to the opposite.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
All mediums are equal. Anyone who played Monkey Island or the system shock games knows that story and gameplay are only in conflict if the designers make it so.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Because everybody loved FFVII for the ATB system.

Mr. Blow is completely missing the true potential of games by far. No, they don't require good stories, but if they have them and execute them properly, then they can have a greater impact on the player than any movie could hope for.

You're playing a game, and you get drawn into the narrative and fall in love with the characters, and it's made more powerful by the investment you're putting in yourself: when they're doing something, you're doing it with them. When they fight, you fight. When they win, you win, and when they lose, you lose. It's not just watching or reading about them; you are with them, and you are developing a more intimate connection to the characters and the events happening around them thusly.

As graphics near as good as they can reasonably get, and gameplay ideas are slowly exhausted, I'm willing to claim that stories will become far more integral to games than they currently are, and that the true potential of the medium will become far more prominent and respected when this happens.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Dectilon said:
It's adorable when these people think they've found the silver bullet :)

Now, someone send this guy a bundle of Star Control 2 and Psychonauts ~~
Congrats, I was on Blows side more or less till you mentioned Psychonauts.

Tim Schafer truly understands how to tie gameplay and story together, and that game is proof positive. The gameplay can be challenging, especially towards the end, but because the gameplay is constantly tied to the story, it works.

AvengingN00b said:
This guy is just getting a big head over the success of Braid which gives him rights to spout nonsense? I guess it's a matter of opinion, wouldn't expect an Indie developer to say any different, after all Indie games have always been "challenge over story" just like portable games, it may sound harsh but I think INDIE GAMES are to GAMES what Alternative Rock is to Rock, just a quick ALTERNATIVE to the REAL THING, which could be fun, very fun, 'till you get sick of it after a little while and you end up looking for the real thing.
Personally I'd take any Metal Gear game or other story driven games over Braid or the likes any day. 'nuff said.
Believe me, I don't think Metal Gear is going to help your case. What with the completely nonsensical stories that can't even stand up to the lightest of examination, and the fact that the last game in the series completely sacrificed any semblance of serious gameplay for it's stupid convoluted pretentious bullshit story in the last third.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a Kojima fan. But Kojima needs to understand that his strength is in gameplay and not in storytelling (oh god no), and he'll be a much better developer than he is.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
MGS' story really is not that hard to figure out if you are paying attention to the game. As far as the last game sacrificing gameplay I will just say that MGS4 has the most varied gameplay I have ever seen.

Hl2 is not a good story, not really anyway. What it has is a good setting and backstory but you really don't get a feel for any of it through the course of the game mainly because not only can you not control any of the dialog, you never get to know what Gordon is thinking. You are not actually a part of the game, you are just viewing it.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
"So the challenge part is trying to hold the player back and keep him from getting to the next segment," Blow explained. "But the story part wants you to get to the next part in order to keep going. This structure doesn't actually work, because these two fight each other."
I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense at all oO

keptsimple

Feb 26, 2009
Blow has a point, but I don't entirely agree that the conflict makes story-based games bad.

More to the point, has he every played God of War II on God Mode? If that's an illusory challenge, I'd like to see what he thinks actual difficulty is.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Johnathon Blow asks a lot of rhetorical questions, right?

Also, while Briad was not heavily story-based, its story was somewhat pretentious and in-your face, right?

I liked Braid's story, but Blow is kinda like a pot calling a kettle black, right?

I think that there are games where stories fit, and games where they do not fit. I believe that games are a viable method of storytelling though as they are interactive and actually put the player in the world of the story, rather than just showing it to him or her.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
DarkBlood626 said:
HL2 enough said Mr. Brow
Half-Life 2 has a few good characters in it (about 1.5 of them), and it has a moderately interesting setting. That's not the same as a good story. The criticism leveled at Braid earlier in the thread definitely applies to HL2 just as thoroughly: it's just an incoherent plot masquerading as allegory.

matrix3509 said:
A story is only good for immersion.
Naw. Since time immemorial, human beings have enjoyed narrative for its own sake in all kinds of media. Video-game storytelling is a pretty poorly developed art at the moment, but adding a degree of interactivity can do a lot to change the way the audience experiences a work (independent of "immersion" and all that). I've played some great interactive fiction that does things you really couldn't replicate in a regular ol' short story or novel.

nimrandir said:
The D&D analogy ends this discussion, as far as I am concerned. Some playgroups spend every session crunching numbers and min-maxing their characters, while others can go a whole evening without rolling a die.
I think D&D's a pretty weak example. Look at the way everyone, including the book, talks about how great it is to create "stories" without rolling dice (this isn't universal but it's definitely typical, and it's something that both the play advice in the books and the wider culture of play reinforce). That's because the mechanics don't usually do all that much to really push the fiction forward in an interesting way. The kill-heal-loot-level cycle doesn't contribute much to character development or narrative pacing, it's just a time-waster keeping you from getting stuff done very quickly, and a source of some pretty ugly constraints (inflicted upon us by the need for encounter balance).

In short, if seldom engaging with the mechanics makes for a better story, I think that's a clear sign you should chuck your game book -- it's not doing what it's suppose to do.

-- Alex