Braid on PC and Mac Contains Level Editor

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Braid on PC and Mac Contains Level Editor

Hidden in the PC and Mac versions of Braid is a fully-featured level editor that will let aspiring Jonathan Blows create their own Braid levels, and, potentially, full games.

Do you want to be like Jonathan Blow? Innovative, successful, intelligent, outspoken, bald? You can give it your best shot with the PC and Mac versions of Blow's seminal time manipulation-centric puzzle platformer, Braid, which contains a hidden level editor [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839459] with some pretty powerful tools.

Blow hasn't publicized the editor at all, but some intrepid Steam users discovered evidence of the tool inside the recently released PC version of the game. All you need to do to access it is run Braid with a "-editor" parameter and then hit F11 when you're in game, and voila, you can start putting together your own trippy levels in no time. I'm going to fill mine with that dinosaur that showed up in that one stage and made the Mario reference.

But wait, how does this thing even work? It seems pretty complicated, and I'm no good with computer. Luckily, Blow didn't just stick the tool in his game for users to befuddled by. He's planning on releasing documentation for the editor once he puts "a new version out in a few days that fixes the problems some people are having, and when more people have played/finished the game."

"The way it works is you can make levels with the editor (up to a full game, potentially) and run that with -universe later," Blow said, adding that he's planning on releasing a tool that will allow you to import Photoshop files into the editor so that users can add their own graphics.

Braid penis levels, here we come.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
The PC community finds everything you hide inside your files!
Pretty much. I mean, damn, EVERYTHING gets hacked or modded these days. It's an awesome time to live in.

Murian

Nov 23, 2007
How exactly does being mentioned in the readme file make something hidden? Those things often contain more relevent documentation than the manual (assuming you get one).

The demo certainly showed it off as an interesting game for £10, but I'm probably not going to buy it until non-xbox controller compatability gets added. Keyboards aren't good for platformers.

RustySpork

Nov 25, 2008
Murian said:
How exactly does being mentioned in the readme file make something hidden? Those things often contain more relevent documentation than the manual (assuming you get one).
This would be true, if anyone besides you ever read readme files.

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
Hmmmmm and here was me pondering on if my character was in Braid. Now I just have to know computers good enough.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Murian said:
The demo certainly showed it off as an interesting game for £10, but I'm probably not going to buy it until non-xbox controller compatability gets added. Keyboards aren't good for platformers.
Get a controller that maps to keyboard buttons?
Mine does it well enough~

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
i hope the penis levels will be as good as some of the spore monsters