Brand X

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Risk

Channing Tatum and Chris Pine lead rival armies in an attempt to take over the world. After an awkward set up they spend three hours crusading across the planet, all the while leaving too few people to defend their gains, thus allowing their opponent the chance for an equally sweeping campaign. At the end of this Pine abandons his army out of boredom, although he makes up some weak excuse to cover this up.

Shauna Robertson stars as the person who stays holed up in Australia for the entire damn game.

(captcha: fishy smell)

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Yay! A plug for One, Two, Three. Great fun. So was A Foreign Affair (1948). Billy Wilder's comedies are awesome.

Thanks for a quick look at branding that works as something other than just product placement, Bob. Nice article.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Damn man Radio Flyer is severely depressing. But I still enjoy the movie. Especially the ending.

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
I know Bob hails from Boston, but as someone who actually grew up in a small rural town in South Louisiana I can tell you that Walmart IS the town square of these communities. A common misconception is that these communities had small stores where each one had the products found in Wal-mart, but the reality is much more complicated. In my town the closest electronics store was 45 minutes away and the nearest pet supply was over an hour, so wal-mart saved my community a ton of time and money. Everyone did meet up at Wal-mart for anything other than groceries, and they have yet to shut down the local grocery, hunting, fishing, or hardware stores. I'm just speaking for myself of course though.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Also, Winn-Dixie was important (and I use that word lightly) in the South. They're all gone now, went out of business. I have not seen another one, and I've been to all the major Southern states.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MovieBob said:
A quick guide as to how brands have influenced movies.
If it weren't for your warning, "Where the Heart Is" almost sounds watchable.

Branding is insane, compare the virtually no regulations of America to the strict laws of England. Somewhere in between is Australia, more towards England. And Mexico is, well Mexico.

But yeah, basing a whole movie around a cheap warehouse style supermarket... I suppose that's the shameful joy of capitalism.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I thought this would be about movies with a HUGE amount of product-placement in them.

Movies like Evolution (Head & Shoulders) and countless Michael Bay movies. Should do an article about 'most annoyingly obvious product placements in movies' or something Bob.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
pearcinator said:
I thought this would be about movies with a HUGE amount of product-placement in them.

Movies like Evolution (Head & Shoulders) and countless Michael Bay movies. Should do an article about 'most annoyingly obvious product placements in movies' or something Bob.
I'm afraid I, Robot would win hands down with the classic scene where Will Smith puts on his Converse sneakers, including a gratuitous close up, while there's a comment on how nice they are, then just to drive the point home that this is product placement and you can buy these fabulous sneakers that Will Smith wore since the movie is set in the future, Will comes back with:

"Vintage: 1999".

It was hilarious that it's almost hard to tell apart from the satirical look at movie product placement featured in Wayne's World, years before.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
MovieBob said:
...it's really incredible that no other movie would make that seemingly obvious connection for almost three decades.
Seriously, Scott Pilgrim isn't nearly as great as you're making it out to be. It didn't bomb because it was this amazing film that was pirated into oblivion, it bombed because it was pretentious drivel with a wooden cast and a boring-as-shit plot filled with OMGSHINEYS and Dane Cook/Jamie Kennedy-style pop-culture references. You're constant fellatio of this film is spilling all of your credibility all over the pavement, so please stop.

MovieBob said:
Unless I'm forgetting something else, this may in fact be the first "game-in-live-action" skit ever filmed.
On the other side of that coin: I know you're trying very hard to forget that it existed, but the Doom film really wasn't nearly as bad as you may remember.