Break Out Your Dice, Classic D&D is Legal Again

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I own ORIGINAL copies of the Basic and Expert sets. My older brother played the game before the first AD&D hardback was released.

I wonder if this means I could get a copy of the ORIGINAL Deities & Demigods. I doubt it because of Copywrite complications, but it rocked with the Cthulu Mythos, Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Elric of Melnibone, and others.

*sighs wistfully*

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Quick question to DnD fans:
Which edition is considered to be, well, the most popular? 3rd one?

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
OniaPL said:
deathbydeath said:
OniaPL said:
I wonder if I could play D&D online somehow? I've never seen anyone play it or heard that anyone I know would play it, and I'm honestly quite curious about it.
Skype?
I suppose, but I was wondering if there would exist a client or something that would make the search for other players more convenient and reliable, and have other things that would make my life as a newbie slightly easier. I've never played D&D, and all I know about it is that you create a character and roll dice, and searching the internet for people to skype with from sketchy websites while I have no idea what is what and what is going on feels a bit too daunting to me.
There is a looking-for-group option inside Roll20. So make yourself and account and use the programs tools to find a decent group. It has voice-chat and everything, you dont even need skype.

I got a game going every saturday at 20GMT. Its not your typical setting but its fantasy... Uses most dnd rules.. Still easing myself into the Dungeon Master role.

Alternatively, you can just join us. We arent exactly looking for new players. But it'd be worth it to introduce someone to the genre. We started playing about a year ago expanding from the Escapist RP-Forum (All new to the game at the time except for me whom had been a player once before, six yearss prior), gotten a lot more experience since then. We had our first session last week after a 3 month break.

There are a couple of basic rules (Dont powergame, dont be a dick. Those two match nicely) If you're interested you can PM me. Either for joining the group or for some basic info on Roll20 and DnD.

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
Well shit... Now the original hardcovers (all of them) are no more than collectors items. And by 'hardcover' I mean the books that came out in the mid '70's. By 'all of them' I mean "ALL OF THEM". Call me old school, but hell, I'd rather deal with those than the post TSR sale versions.

Oddly enough, I know the history of the game, the sale of TSR to WotC, WotC's own d20 system, etc. I've been at it since 1975.

VMK said:
Quick question to DnD fans:
Which edition is considered to be, well, the most popular? 3rd one?
Quick answer. Any one that works. Personal opinion, the last one that worked, was the first one. The rest kind of fell short, and almost all DM's forgot the golden rule. If it doesn't work, or slows down gameplay, it should be ignored.

vortalism

Dec 15, 2011
Finally! I can get my modules back and show my players what 'Old Skool' D&D was like (because the our group has only played 3.5). I still have the Tomb of Horrors but I'm a bit hesitant about putting them through that too soon. At least I can get my Greyhawk Wars modules. I love that stuff. It's good to hear about this. Also I really need a PDF copy of Unearthed Arcana.