"Break up" music?

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
Alright this is NOT a thread where I'm asking people's opinions on what song to break up with my girlfriend to if some people had that impression from the title. Basically I was at a family reunion type thing a week ago and was talking to my cousin about music, and we both agreed that so called "break up" songs are just in general the best songs at least in the rock genre. (This obviously precludes R&B and genres like that, which generally are exclusively love songs). I have no idea why but we came to this conclusion.
An example of one such song that comes to mind is Paperthin Hymn by Anberlin.

So does anyone share this thought process or are we just weird?

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
I think it really depends on the artist, and the song. I mean, of course a lot of good music is constructed around the idea of break ups. What more of an emotional time to write out awesome songs?

I don't know if I'd say they're the best, but some of em can definitely be pretty good, if done right.

sam42ification

Nov 11, 2010
I wouldn't say 'break up' songs are the best of the rock genre but they are pretty good if your in the right mood. Rock is quiet a wide genre but then again it does come down to personal opinion. i think people would share your opinion but i can only really listen to 'break up' songs if i'm in the right mood. If im not they just sound whiny and annoying.

Fenrisulfr

Mar 15, 2011
Would you mind if I gave you a long list?

*EDIT* Just reread. I see. Alright, no list for you then. It's not weird, by the way.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SeeIn2D said:
Change (In The House of Snips)

You get instant cred for "Paperthin Hymn", but I don't fully get what you're saying, so I'll say that I don't share the thought process?

I enjoy a good "Break up" song like I'm assuming you do based on your OP, but I can't really say that I think they're the best songs I've ever heard.

Jake1802

Mar 25, 2011
I think that quite a few of the greatest songs of all time would be classified as Break up songs
Hey Jude-Beatles
Don't Think Twice It's all Right-Bob Dylan
Wild Horses- Rolling Stones

And this trend continues today with a lot of the well known artists around at the moment singing of heartbreak in a number of their songs.
Maroon 5 (My fave band)
Adele
Scouting for Girls
The Script
Linkin Park

I know that these are not necessarily Rock but it basically comes back to the fact that heartbreak is a universal thing that everyone experiences, and one which brings about the emotions that in the end are seen as brilliant songs.

I do listen to the lyrics though unlike people I know

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
Tears don't fall, All these things I hate (Revolve around me) and Bittersweet Memories all by Bullet for my valentine

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm sorry, I can't resist trolling the hell out of this thread.

<youtube=wxiugsEhm3I>

On actual topic, I don't listen to enough rock music to have a frame of reference. From what I've heard, I prefer the love songs.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
SeeIn2D said:
Alright this is NOT a thread where I'm asking people's opinions on what song to break up with my girlfriend to if some people had that impression from the title. Basically I was at a family reunion type thing a week ago and was talking to my cousin about music, and we both agreed that so called "break up" songs are just in general the best songs at least in the rock genre. (This obviously precludes R&B and genres like that, which generally are exclusively love songs). I have no idea why but we came to this conclusion.

Here ya go:
I know that it's terrible and it's not specifically a "break-up" song, but it's good listening after a break-up because it helps you not take it so seriously and move on with life.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
Ham_authority95 said:
SeeIn2D said:

Here ya go:
I know that it's terrible and it's not specifically a "break-up" song, but it makes you not take it as seriously and move on in life.
Haha dude I think you misunderstood my post. This post has absolutely nothing to do with my relationship. I have just noticed that songs talking about relationships ending and stuff of that nature are just always the best sounding to me for some reason. I was just wondering if anyone else agreed with me.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
SeeIn2D said:
Haha dude I think you misunderstood my post. This post has absolutely nothing to do with my relationship. I have just noticed that songs talking about relationships ending and stuff of that nature are just always the best sounding to me for some reason. I was just wondering if anyone else agreed with me.
Oh, okay.

I have a mixed opinion on break-up songs. Don't mind listening to them when I'm not going through a break-up, even though I don't connect with the lyrics. If the music of any song, regardless of lyrical content, is good than I'll listen to it again. I guess I'm indifferent to it.

But I would hate to listen to them if I WAS going through a break-up. It would just remind me too much of my break-up, thus make me more miserable. When going through a break-up, my first plan if action is to forget about it, which makes break-up songs counter-productive.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I don't really have any suggestions since I've never been in a break-up that shook me up too much. I tend to note what some of my not-so-lucky friends listen to during their slightly depressed phase though, and I hear a lot of aggressive and self-assuring music. It helps them tell themselves not to regret whats happened, how they did nothing wrong and to keep their head up.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
This is a good break up song, even though I never really been in that situation.

Any excuses to show off my favourite band though, it's such beautiful music.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
A house/electronic song that is a break-up song by it's lyrics but so much more by everything else.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
I dunno theres a fair amount of "break up" music in all genre's, at least to my knowledge, I mean theres "burn" by Usher and thats not rock, also off the top of my head "Break Up" by Kim Sozzi,

although I will say the rock genre does seem to have an edge on the others, not sure what it is about the genre that seems to do "break up" songs a bit better than the others.

Oh and to throw out a song here, I find this one works as both a literal song about a break up, and a good song to listen to if your trying to get over a break up, s'worked for me a fair few times

TheCommie12

Feb 25, 2011
Rolling Stones - Beast of Burden. and In my Time of Dying - Led Zeppelin, make you feel like a god at the end of it.