Breaking Bad Contest Winner In Million Dollar Narcotics Bust

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Breaking Bad Contest Winner In Million Dollar Narcotics Bust

"This is the best show on television," said Ryan Lee Carroll when he won the contest, "and I will get to be a part of it."

Breaking Bad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/8454-Forever-Blue-Breaking-Bad-Song] fan Ryan Lee Carroll was lucky enough to win a contest to see the series finale in September 2013, and among the things he took away was a hazmat suit signed by cast members, given him at the screening party. That hazmat suit, along with a million dollar haul in synthetic narcotics, is now with Florida (Lee County) Sheriff's Office, as Carroll has been arrested on felony charges of possession with intent to supply, as well as misdemeanour charges of keeping a shop or vehicle for dangerous drugs.

"It's just kind of mind-boggling to think stuff like that can happen right next to you," said a neighbour [http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2014/jan/01/exclusive-breaking-bad-contest-winner-busted-drug/]. "We still don't even know what was going on." Carroll, who moved into the neighbourhood six to eight months prior, kept getting FedEx packages every day. "They either had a very successful business, or they were up to something they shouldn't be," said another neighbour.

Carroll hit the headlines when he won the contest, which was a raffle sponsored by cast member Aaron Paul to benefit an anti-bullying nonprofit, The Kind Campaign. His brief moment of fame may even include a spot in a Breaking Bad documentary, which was being filmed at the time of the finale. Carroll was ecstatic to have a chance to be part of the show he loved.

"If you start watching it, you can't stop," he said back in September [http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/sep/28/fort-myers-man-wins-breaking-bad-finale-raffle/?print=1]. "It's highly addicting, just like the meth they make (on the show)."

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/01/breaking-bad-contest-winner/]

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
This is irony right? I mean I get confused with how irony really works but this is a case of irony right?

So yeah show about drugs turns people into drug lords. In before people start saying violent video games turn people into murders .... oh wait.

Its nice to see media inspire people to have passionate jobs but I think if drug making is your passion you probably should seek medical help.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Karloff said:
"They either had a very successful business, or they were up to something they shouldn't be," said another neighbour.
What do you mean, "or"? They had a very successful business doing something they weren't supposed to be doing! ;)

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Epic_Bubble said:
This is irony right? I mean I get confused with how irony really works but this is a case of irony right?

So yeah show about drugs turns people into drug lords. In before people start saying violent video games turn people into murders .... oh wait.

Its nice to see media inspire people to have passionate jobs but I think if drug making is your passion you probably should seek medical help.
Passion? lol, it has nothing to do with passion, it's all got to do with how many zero's it adds to your cash supply. For example, when was the last time you knew a person that had a million dollars worth of anything?

Nov 28, 2007
...I'm sorry, but if he was that big of a fan of Breaking Bad, how did he miss the point of the show so much? Yeah, Walter White made a lot of money. But I'm hardly spoiling it when I say that the show does not promote the meth business as being a good thing. It does the opposite, showing that the more W.W. cooks meth, the more and more he loses his morality and standards. The season finale just rams it home.

Seriously, what kind of fan watches a show like Breaking Bad and thinks, "Wow, that guy's life got really screwed up. I think I should give it a try."

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I'm not sure if this would be considered ironic. well ironic or not it is kinda amusing. I have still yet to watch breaking bad; so I will have do that at some point to see if it as good as people claim.
Sseth said:
you may want to edit your post just to add some words or a few sentence so you don't break a forum rule.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
This is one of those cases where reality goes "fuck you fiction, you think you are imaginative? get a load of this" truly strange I wonder how the cast members feel about it.

Sseth said:
also kudos to you for the joke, too bad the moderators have no sense of mercy or humor so you better write a couple of sentences before you get a warning for low content.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
So... was he already a meth dealer when the show started and he loved it because, "Fuck yeah, drug dealers rock!"? Or did he love the show so much that it inspired him to realize his dream of cooking meth?

These are the questions that keep me awake at night.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Epic_Bubble said:
Nope, well.. Depends how you define Breaking Bad. But in simplest terms, a guy loving a show about dealing meth deciding to actual deal meth is not irony.

If you define Breaking Bad as a show that demonizes making Meth and those who deal in drugs, and he loved it yet dealt drugs himself anyways, that might be irony.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
"Life intimating art?"

I don't think he took up a lifestyle that had him earning millions AFTER seeing Breaking Bad. If he's the kind of go-getter that can put together that kind of business, surely Breaking Bad wasn't the "kick in the ass" that he needed to get started. Also, what about keeping a low profile? "You know, I'm into some illegal stuff. Probably shouldn't draw national attention to myself by claiming this prize. Nah! What's the worst that could happen?"

Also, I don't think it qualifies as irony. I think the irony would be if he won a raffle for a show about people police stopping drug dealers, only to turn out to he himself be a drug dealer. I think this is an example of coincidence: a drug dealer won a prize from a show about drug dealers.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I can't seem to find what the actual drug was, other than it being "synthetic" and "had without a perscription." Yes, that could be meth, but it could just as easily be Adderall, which has a MASSIVE market in every college town in America.

(Funnily enough, Adderall is an amphetamine, like meth, though without quite as many nasty side effects).

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
This is legendary - I am in tears of laughter right now.

Sseth said:
I laughed heartily. Thank you.

I have a feeling Mr or Mrs Mod probably doesn't watch Breaking Bad. Sorry dude.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
TV's bad, mmmkay?

Kids watch the TV and want to be like the TV, mmmkay?

We should ban the TV because it's bad, mmmmkay?

Drugs are bad. They're bad for you. You shouldn't stick drugs inside your body. Mmmkay?

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Now that is just funny.

I wonder how the cast of the show are reacting to this news?

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
The way this is worded makes it sound like the guy was arrested for the stuff he won in the contest.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
You know... I read this article and I just knew there was gonna be an irony debate around here. There are some ironic elements, in the regard that the man choose to ignore the negative message of the show and go into the drug world himself. This is also a case of life imitating art and there's definitely poetic justice in there.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
So first paul walker dies in a car crash, then a man who enters a breaking bad contest gets arrested for drug trafficking.

What next? Mark hamill dying in a rocket accident?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
HAH! What an idiot, now if you'll excuse me my replica of Longclaw just arrived.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS!!!

Seriously though... what the hell was he thinking was gonna happen?