Breaking Bad discussion thread

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I haven't seen all of this season yet, but I get the feeling it's going to end in a standoff between Hank and Walt.

Feb 22, 2009
Pinkamena said:
You should really spoiler that last part. Not everyone have seen the episode yet! Oh, and the backyard scene was fucking intense. I kept waiting for someone to come it and shoot everything up. Seeing a scene with the family reunited, happy, laughing was just so out of place.
Sorry, I assumed I wouldn't need to since it says at the start of the thread there will be spoilers.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I thought they'd be airing the rest of the season in early 2013, but now I find out it's in the summer. That pretty much makes it a season 6 rather than a split season.

As for last night's episode, I find it a little hard to swallow.
Walter made it clear when he said, "I'm in the empire business". It stopped being about the money. It was about pride and power. So I find it a bit hard to believe that Skylar's massive pile o' Grants would convince him. I find it equally hard to believe Walt would keep that book just lying around in the restroom. Walt can be sloppy, but not that sloppy.

Regardless, I'm not one to get too fussed over things like that. And it sets up the confrontation we've all been waiting for. This is going to be intense.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Pinkamena said:
Gustavo Fring gone, I think season 5 will mold Walter into the new antagonist, and it's already well on its way.
I think you mean Walter will be the new villian :p And I think Hank is going to be the new antagonist, I mean he knows now and Hank might care about Walter but not enough to let him get away with it, especially after everything that's happened because of Walt. I mean there is no way Hank is not going to think Walt didn't murder those 10 people, or Gus, or Mike (if they ever find out he's dead, at least. Then again they probably wont).

Anyways, I can't wait for the second half, I have to know what Walt is doing with a fucking turret in his trunk. I think he was planning on crossing the boarder but I'm not sure, I just know that whatever happens its going to (probably) be F*CKIN' AWESOME!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Nemesis729 said:
People have been waiting for Marie to die?! I've been wishing with every new episode for Skylar to die, I really don'y have a problem with Marie
I have. She's so annoying with her intrusiveness and touchy-feely crap. And the purple. Oh God, the purple.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Dags90 said:
Nemesis729 said:
People have been waiting for Marie to die?! I've been wishing with every new episode for Skylar to die, I really don'y have a problem with Marie
I have. She's so annoying with her intrusiveness and touchy-feely crap. And the purple. Oh God, the purple.

Her and Skyler are some of the most annoying characters i've ever come across in a show and yeah... the purple..

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
DustyDrB said:
I thought they'd be airing the rest of the season in early 2013, but now I find out it's in the summer. That pretty much makes it a season 6 rather than a split season.

Walter made it clear when he said, "I'm in the empire business". It stopped being about the money. It was about pride and power. So I find it a bit hard to believe that Skylar's massive pile o' Grants would convince him. I find it equally hard to believe Walt would keep that book just lying around in the restroom. Walt can be sloppy, but not that sloppy.

Regardless, I'm not one to get too fussed over things like that. And it sets up the confrontation we've all been waiting for. This is going to be intense.
I think the cancer came back. That could explain why he decided to get out of the meth business. But I think it's more likely that he's lying to Skylar, still keeping on cooking meth, but without her knowing somehow. I'm sure he has a plan.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Pinkamena said:
DustyDrB said:

I think the cancer came back. That could explain why he decided to get out of the meth business. But I think it's more likely that he's lying to Skylar, still keeping on cooking meth, but without her knowing somehow. I'm sure he has a plan.
You could be right. He could be using the distance with the European market to make it seem like he's out. If he truly wants to get out, then it's pretty clumsily handled though. We've had five seasons to see his descent, and now the meth business seems to be its own reward to him. In contrast, we've only seen a small bit to build up Walter wanting out:
-Skylar's plea
-Maybe what seems like regret after he finds Mike dying
-Maybe that scene last night where he was just sitting quietly in his office (and right after this, he goes about disposing of the body and justifying his actions in the same way he always does)
-Maybe the MRI
And those are just events over the course of one episode (and one minute of the preceding episode). And it especially rings hollow to me coming just a few episodes after that honest "I'm in the empire business" conversation with Jessie.

The more I think about it, the more I think he's not really out. He's using the distance like I said before. That makes the most sense. And the show's writers don't like to rush out moments. I give them the benefit of the doubt, because they've been as close to perfect as I've ever seen so far in a series.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
*Avoids every post in this thread*

I'm just finishing season two, so I'll be with the rest of you in a few days. It's been great so far though.

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
Good ending, fucking tension that was going on when Jesse opened his bag of money was almost too much.

Can't wait to see why Walt has bought the cannon sitting in the back of his car now. My prediction = Everybody dies except Saul who goes on to have a spinoff.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
DustyDrB said:

Well, as i see it

In the three month montage, you have all those little scenes in between with Walt sitting around alone, staring holes in the air.
He may have given up his empire ambitions just because he gains nothing from it. He has his niche, has no troubles, no one to oppose him, doesn't even seem to care about how much income he gets...and has no satisfaction from it, especially with him being somewhat alienated from his family.
Sure, maybe it's cancer (although i'd imagine Walt would rather burn out than fade away if it's just that), but i'd guess he is just done with it because he already got more than he wanted and stopped enjoying "breaking bad"

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
BiggyShackleton said:
Good ending, fucking tension that was going on when Jesse opened his bag of money was almost too much.

Can't wait to see why Walt has bought the cannon sitting in the back of his car now. My prediction = Everybody dies except Saul who goes on to have a spinoff.
I'd watch that. Make it happen!

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Pinkamena said:
BiggyShackleton said:

I'd watch that. Make it happen!
Yes yes so much this, Saul's the funniest character on the show!

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
The way I see Walt leaving the business behind is as a direct result of killing Mike. Don't get me wrong, he likely doesn't feel guilty about it, Mike's beaten, humiliated, immasculated and threatened to kill Walter far too many times for Walt to consider him as a friend or someone who doesn't deserve to die.

However, what I got from his seeming almost instant regret wasn't him suddenly gaining a conscience, it was realising how much the Heisenberg, alpha-male, chest-pounding persona has taken a-hold of him. Think about it, every time he's killed/attempted to kill somebody throughout the series it's been a planned, strategic manouvre to make sure he doesn't wind up with a bullet in his skull, or at least to facilitate the goal of looking after his family after he's dead. Self-preservation and caring for one's family are both more valid and excusable (well, excusable in the psychopath riddled underworld of New Mexico) reasons to off a guy than just "that fucker pointed out my character flaws, grrrr".

Walt's always prided himself on (amongst other things) his ability to rationally and tactically eliminate everyone higher-up in the food chain, his ability to think clearly under pressure and manipulate everyone to his evil little will. He just lowered himself to the level of Tuco, offing a subordinate for not saying what King Walt would've liked him to.

When he says "I just realised, I could've gotten the names from Lydia", you can almost see his last pitiful attempt to justify the murder slip away. He just killed a man for no good reason who was likely no danger to him. Mike was a pro and Walter knew it, if he wanted to disappear the DEA would never find him.

This (along with the possible relapse into cancer) is likely what played a big part in him quitting the business. Walt is willing to do some massively reprehensible things, but he's never thought of himself as just a violent thug. Once again, like Tuco.

Breaking Bad is, in my opinion, the greatest TV show ever written. The direction is stunning and the performances are top-notch. It constantly surprises me with how it never manages to feel like it's peaked. I can't wait for next year, and I can't wait for the downfall of the Walter White Empire. Here's a phenomenal tribute video to the character, spoilers!