BREAKING: Women of #GamerGate Make Breakthrough on HuffPo Live

redlemon

Oct 3, 2014
Fappy said:
BloatedGuppy said:
"Objective review."
There is a conflict in the story. There are fighting mechanics. There are textures and pixels. You can get a game over.

10/10, this is indeed a video game.
Try "I don't like FPS games, so this game gets a 1" or "I don't like anime artstyle, so I'm docking 3 points" or "This game portrays homosexuals in a positive way, so I'm only giving it a 6."

Try actually reading what people are complaining about next time, please?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Not The Bees said:
You watch all 3, weigh all the options, and then decide what you think is best. That's what's amazing about reviews, and that's what fantastic about subjectivity. You get to see what their experiences were, how it made them feel, and take from that how it might make you feel.
Sometimes you don't even need to go that far. A lot of people just have one critic they follow whose opinions on games is closely aligned with theirs. If they say their audience will like a game based on X, then they likely will. It works both ways too. If a reviewer/website is consistently publishing reviews you don't agree with then maybe you aren't their target audience.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Not The Bees said:
I just startled my husband by laughing so loud I choked on my drink and spit it out.

But you hit the nail on the head. Objective review is a oxymoron. You can't expect someone give a review in a dead eye sort of way. Lets say I think Minecraft is boring and with crappy graphics (though I know that's the point), and there is no reason for the game, it's just a waste of time. Whereas someone else might say the graphics are great for this game, because it touches on all the nostalgia that makes this game so great.

I don't really care much about Minecraft honestly, I'm just using it as an example. Watching other people play is actually kind of fun.

The point is, two different reviews gave graphics two different scores. But for different reasons, and they're both right. The graphics are crap, but if nostalgia is your thing they're going to be wonderful crap. That's why subjectivity is important. You find more than one reviewer and you read/listen and then... this is the important part... do some critical thinking and make your own decision based on what you think is best. Not based on what Jim Sterling said, or what Yahtzee said, or what Total Biscuit said.

You watch all 3, weigh all the options, and then decide what you think is best. That's what's amazing about reviews, and that's what fantastic about subjectivity. You get to see what their experiences were, how it made them feel, and take from that how it might make you feel.
Absolutely. I can't really say an argument about reviews is ever going to turn out well for any GamerGate supporters (this is coming from a light supporter). Review scores themselves are never what you should worry about. If you disagree with a review's content, you can explain why without being inflammatory.

In particular, the whole weird Bayonetta 2 fiasco has got me scratching my head, since Polygon still gave it a pretty damn good score. I may think the reviewer focused on his perceived issues of sexism too much in the review, but that doesn't make him wrong. It makes him someone I disagree with on an issue that can be potentially contentious. And that doesn't mean I should want to silence his voice. Ideally, I should just move on after I've said my feelings on why I feel differently.

Of course, a lot of GamerGaters like to bring up Metacritic scores as a justification for not wanting Polygon to lower scores based on this issue, due to the fact that many large publishers now use it as a metric for how many jobs will be kept in a studio or how well the people holding those jobs will be paid, which is absolutely fucking ridiculous. But that is not a problem with how a reviewer felt about a game. It is a problem with the publisher that chooses to do so.

Those are my feelings on this particular issue.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
redlemon said:
Try "I don't like FPS games, so this game gets a 1" or "I don't like anime artstyle, so I'm docking 3 points" or "This game portrays homosexuals in a positive way, so I'm only giving it a 6."

And?

Don't read the reviews then. If you don't like someone's outlook, then obviously their opinion on a title is not going to be relevant to you.

This isn't hard.

redlemon

Oct 3, 2014
BloatedGuppy said:
redlemon said:

And?

Don't read the reviews then. If you don't like someone's outlook, then obviously their opinion on a title is not going to be relevant to you.

This isn't hard.
Normally, I would ignore them, except they have power in the industry, they're abusing that power to spread their political ideology. And now they're spreading lies, which really does hurt society, so now we have to shut them down.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
redlemon said:
Normally, I would ignore them, except they have power in the industry, they're abusing that power to spread their political ideology. And now they're spreading lies, which really does hurt society, so now we have to shut them down.
Ah. Right. I forgot about that widespread ideological conspiracy devouring the industry. That's my bad. Sorry.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Not The Bees said:
Fappy said:
BloatedGuppy said:
"Objective review."
There is a conflict in the story. There are fighting mechanics. There are textures and pixels. You can get a game over.

I just startled my husband by laughing so loud I choked on my drink and spit it out.

But you hit the nail on the head. Objective review is a oxymoron. You can't expect someone give a review in a dead eye sort of way. Lets say I think Minecraft is boring and with crappy graphics (though I know that's the point), and there is no reason for the game, it's just a waste of time. Whereas someone else might say the graphics are great for this game, because it touches on all the nostalgia that makes this game so great.

I don't really care much about Minecraft honestly, I'm just using it as an example. Watching other people play is actually kind of fun.

The point is, two different reviews gave graphics two different scores. But for different reasons, and they're both right. The graphics are crap, but if nostalgia is your thing they're going to be wonderful crap. That's why subjectivity is important. You find more than one reviewer and you read/listen and then... this is the important part... do some critical thinking and make your own decision based on what you think is best. Not based on what Jim Sterling said, or what Yahtzee said, or what Total Biscuit said.

I think this approach is pretty reasonable, and I normally check a few different reviews before buying a game. The problem at the minute though is the question of whether you're going to get a range of different opinions about a game, or are you going to get the correct opinion passed on by a range of different journalists pursuing the same ideological cause.

This doesn't seem to be happening at present, but I think it's a legitimate concern for the future.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Not The Bees said:
It's the same reason I don't go to IGN, I find that their reviews are so general and vague (most often) that I don't have any idea of what the feeling is of the game, just a general sense that I should "go buy it!" I'm definitely not their target audience.
I think IGN could probably replace their review text with "Go buy it!" and not really miss a beat. Most people probably wouldn't notice.

redlemon

Oct 3, 2014
BloatedGuppy said:
redlemon said:
Ah. Right. I forgot about that widespread ideological conspiracy devouring the industry. That's my bad. Sorry.
You mean you forgot about all of these journalists blatantly lying repeatedly? That was my first clue that "hey maybe Gamergate actually has a point".

This doesn't seem to be happening at present, but I think it's a legitimate concern for the future.
Problem is, if you wait too long to stop it, it becomes harder to stop.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
redlemon said:
BloatedGuppy said:

This isn't hard.
You "have to" shut them down? Someone's making you do this? Who exactly?
And how is you forcibly shutting down someone who you don't like, any different to an abuse of power?

Good grief, people aren't even trying to hide their hypocrisy these days.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Breakdown said:
Not The Bees said:
Fappy said:
BloatedGuppy said:
"Objective review."

I think this approach is pretty reasonable, and I normally check a few different reviews before buying a game. The problem at the minute though is the question of whether you're going to get a range of different opinions about a game, or are you going to get the correct opinion passed on by a range of different journalists pursuing the same ideological cause.

I really don't see it as a concern because it's ultimately a very anti-competitive notion in an industry that lives and dies at the whim of market forces. If one site goes completely left, another site will cater to those marginalized on the right. Obviously we don't want to end up with a bunch of pandering talking heads running every outlet (like broadcast news), but considering more and more voices are being given a platform every day in this industry, I don't think we will ever have any real issues finding moderate voices of reason.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Fappy said:
I don't think we will ever have any real issues finding moderate voices of reason.
I could go for some moderate voices of reason about now. Aside from my own, of course. Has there ever been a voice more moderate or given to reason than my own? My sources say "No".

redlemon

Oct 3, 2014
IceForce said:
And how is you forcibly shutting down someone who you don't like, any different to an abuse of power?
Please quit asking "Have you stopped beating your wife" type questions.

We're shutting down people in positions of power who abuse it by spreading lies. Lies that actually hurt people.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Not The Bees said:
Everyone keeps mentioning this ideological cause that journalists are going to pursuing. They did the same thing in the mainstream media in the early Bush years as well. But studies show that the only thing that really pushes journalists to do anything is money.

Not saying they're greedy, but economics talk, not social causes. Social causes don't bring in advertisers, viewers do. And people are too aware of alienating people. Most journalists, including game reviewers, are not going to suddenly start veering off in that territory as long as they need to make money. When they start getting money from Kickstarter or donations... maybe. But as long as their money comes from ads and clicks, it's not a thing.
The Gamers are Dead articles do seem to suggest that the websites involved are both co-operating with each other and alienating large sections of the audience regardless of the economic consequences for them. Although maybe they just got carried away at the time and that was an exceptional instance instead of the norm.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Objective Review:

This game has a colorful palette with slight aliasing issues that are hard to catch unless staying still or looking up close. In motion the game is a vibrant blend of pastel colors and smooth framerate.

Biased Review: The colors on this game are childish and distracting, a muddled or darker color scheme would make this game appear not as childish.

Note, I doubt any reviewer would give a review that biased, but I'm terrible at making up examples.

Basically I want as little of the reviewers bias in a review as possible. I don't care if Tropico 5 hurt your feelings because you play as a tyrant. I don't care if Bayonetta being sexy upsets you.

In a world where Metacritic can affect the paycheck of a developer (which is bullshit) we must demand reviews be as objective as possible.

Breakdown said:
Although maybe they just got carried away at the time and that was an exceptional instance instead of the norm.
Nah, remember the whole "Gamers are Entitled" after ME3? This is the same divide of gamers and journalists as before.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Breakdown said:
The Gamers are Dead articles do seem to suggest that the websites involved are both co-operating with each other and alienating large sections of the audience regardless of the economic consequences for them. Although maybe they just got carried away at the time and that was an exceptional instance instead of the norm.
Would seem like rather an exceptional incident wouldn't it? I can't recall any other "Gamers are dead" articles.

I think it was poor word choice combined with yellow journalism more than anything. Looking at Alexa, it hasn't seemed to cause much damage.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/polygon.com

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/kotaku.com

Rockpapershotgun and Gamasutra took dramatic nosedives, but they're also comparable to historical norms for both sites, and both are trending upwards again.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/rockpapershotgun.com

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/gamasutra.com

It's possible they're swapping one audience for another, but in terms of audience health they seem to be either thriving (in the first two cases) or doing more or less business as usual in the latter two. If any can be said to have taken it squarely on the chin it was Gamasutra, and that was probably the most warranted (they're the ones who employ Alexander, no?).

Thorn14 said:
Nah, remember the whole "Gamers are Entitled" after ME3? This is the same divide of gamers and journalists as before.
Was that the social justice warriors too? Damn them!