breaking xbox 360s

ctrl

Apr 19, 2010
i quite like the xbox 360 its a good console graphics games ect. but what is it with the lifespan mine breaks every few months and i have to send it off and get it back 3 weeks later and its just annoying. anyone else got the same? normally 3 red....things

greygelgoog

Dec 29, 2007
The funny thing was, mine lasted for about a year of steady use. I was so impressed I started a blog about how my XBox 360 hadn't died (http://360trooper.blogspot.com/). Then it died about a month in. I have a friend who's functioning 360 is even older irregularly updating, but that was just terrible timing on my part.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
I got it. It died the day after. They sent me a new one and it hasn't died since. Really, when people always complain about the weak hardware, I don't see a problem. Once doesn't constitute a game-breaking (or console-breaking) complaint.

this is because everyone always says oh man yeah that thing breaks soooo much well mine doesnt

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Mine recently broke. It's the disc drive that doesn't read now. Everything else works fine just can't use it for the game aspect.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
My first one lasted a couple years before it started having lots of problems. After it broke I got a newer generation 360 (with the Jasper chip as opposed to the Xenon). The Jasper model hasn't broken once, and it's performance has been far superior to the original Xenon model. So, my advice, don't even bother sending yours in. If it's breaking every couple months it's just going to keep doing that. Sell it to a website that recycles x-boxes and save up the money for a Jasper model. In the long run you'll be a lot happier.

blaze2142

May 27, 2008
ctrl said:
i quite like the xbox 360 its a good console graphics games ect. but what is it with the lifespan mine breaks every few months and i have to send it off and get it back 3 weeks later and its just annoying. anyone else got the same?
Mine has died once but i sent it in and got it back and it never broke again. But have you considered getting a new xbox because thats not normal.

Broady Brio said:
Mine recently broke. It's the disc drive that doesn't read now. Everything else works fine just can't use it for the game aspect.
This has happened to me once, when you put the game in and press the button to close the tray, while the tray is going in have your hand gently(dont push hard enough to break it) lift the tray up until the tray is compleatly inside the xbox. If it doesnt work try it a few more times. Note it is best to do this method while the xbox is on its side so there is no chance the disk will fall out.

Freshman

Jan 8, 2010
mine functioned for two years before it finally red ringed, and i chalk that up to it being run for like one week strait when my idiot friend was watching my house ( i seriously don't think it was turned off in that time). It ringed a few days later. Not sure what 3 red things means, but i went to walgreens and got a little desk fan for 5 bucks, set it behind my 360, and that keeps it at a much lower temperature, and in my opinion contributed to the long life of my old one

DarthLurtz

Jun 8, 2009
My video output crapped out after 3 years, but my neighbor gave me his Elite, which had red-ringed. I sent it in for a free repair, and am playing it to this day.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Ive had mine for 2 years,i use it for 3-4 hours a day week days,and 6+ hours weekend, i use it ALOT and i havent had any problems with it.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
4 Years and going strong. Worship me. Oh, and i do play it all the freakin time. I take games slow and thorough, but i have 14,000 points, and at least 300 hours in Oblivion alone. You can't say i haven't played mine into the ground.

But the old girl is getting to the point where she needs a name. Any thoughts?

TheEngineer

Feb 17, 2010
Man people dont take care of their 360.. I've had mine for three years never had a scare or anything...If mine eventually dead id bee on the ground with defibs screaming "Don't you die on me" That's the only console i can play Fallout 3 on( Dont have it for PC)

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Mine was fine for 3 years. Then it died. Then 8 months later, it died again. The moral of this story? Please fix my xbox instead of sending me a similar one please Microsoft.

ghostinthenight

Aug 18, 2009
I've had mine for about a year and a half, fairly regular playing, except with I got DA:O and ran it for like 70 hours straight, hasn't broken once and honestly with the service Microsoft gives if it DOES break kind of covers it, IMO anyways ^_^

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
grimsprice said:
4 Years and going strong. Worship me. Oh, and i do play it all the freakin time. I take games slow and thorough, but i have 14,000 points, and at least 300 hours in Oblivion alone. You can't say i haven't played mine into the ground.

But the old girl is getting to the point where she needs a name. Any thoughts?
I've had my for two years, and it only broke in November. Then again, I spend every available waking moment on the thing. I killed the solder in the thing. I also have 23k GamerScore, which is shameful. I'm seriously a nerd...