Breath of the Wild for the Wii U: Controls?

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Does anyone have Breath of the Wild for the Wii U? If so, what can you tell me about its controls? And what kinds of controllers can you use?

I have crippled hands, and long story short, I can't use the tablet controller, motion controls of any kind, or vibration cues.

I used to love Zelda long ago before it shifted into motion controls and hand-helds only (I can't play hand-helds), and now I'm wondering if this game might perhaps allow me to return to Zelda once again. It's far from the end of the world if I can't (PC gaming basically filled the gap for me), but I figure I might as well look into it.

TL;DR: Does Breath of the Wild on Wii U require motions controls, vibration, or the tablet controller in any way?
And what controllers will it recognize?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
you can use the Gamepad and the Pro Controller for the Wii U. pretty sure the button layout is exactly the same as on the Switch

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
What is the Gamepad? Is that another term for the big tablet controller?

Are there motion controls (and are they required at ANY point)?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
there are Gyro motion controls yes. they're only used for things like aiming your bow or when you zoom in the camera to look around.

and *sigh* no you don't HAVE to use them you can just use the right analog stick.

people who still complain about motion controls though may as well complain about 3D graphics. 3D games on the N64 were terrible so surely they must still be terrible in the future. motion controls couldn't possibly have advance the technology at all either since they were introduced a decade ago. /rant

i'm not even going to dignify this with an answer.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
I'm not complaining about motion controls. I actually loved them .... before my hands were crippled. I just can't physically use them anymore without hurting myself.

I'm not asking if the control scheme would annoy me, or not be ideal for my personal tastes. I'm just trying to find out if playing the game would cause me actual, physical pain and damage.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
persephone said:
I'm not complaining about motion controls. I actually loved them .... before my hands were crippled. I just can't physically use them anymore without hurting myself.

I'm not asking if the control scheme would annoy me, or not be ideal for my personal tastes. I'm just trying to find out if playing the game would cause me actual, physical pain and damage.
you can use normal controller controls if that's what you're asking.

if you're hands are crippled then sorry. just annoys me to see people constantly harping on about motion controls just because they didn't like waggle back on the Wii.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Yoshi178 said:
you can use the Gamepad and the Pro Controller for the Wii U. pretty sure the button layout is exactly the same as on the Switch
Wait, Pro Controller? How?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
You can use:

- Pro Controller
- Gamepad
- Wii Remote plus Nunchuck
- Wii Remote plus Classic Controller
- Wii Remote by itself

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/5wt5y4/breath_of_the_wild_wii_u_controller_options/

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Perfect! My gamepad doesn't work if it's more than 6 inches away from the console, so this is good news.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Thanks so much for the info, guys. :) Looks like I'll be getting myself a new Zelda game sometime soon!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Yoshi178 said:
there are Gyro motion controls yes. they're only used for things like aiming your bow or when you zoom in the camera to look around.

and *sigh* no you don't HAVE to use them you can just use the right analog stick.

people who still complain about motion controls though may as well complain about 3D graphics. 3D games on the N64 were terrible so surely they must still be terrible in the future. motion controls couldn't possibly have advance the technology at all either since they were introduced a decade ago. /rant

Was this extreme amount of sass to make a disabled person feel bad for asking a question necessary?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Weaver said:
Yoshi178 said:

Was this extreme amount of sass to make a disabled person feel bad for asking a question necessary?
I have seen people being stupid about the Wii U now that the Switch is out, pretending that the Wii U doesn't even exist. People are saying things like "What's a Wii U?". I originally took this comment to be like one of those but then I realized that the person saying it was the same as the person who started the thread and knew they weren't denying the existence of the Wii U. Knee jerk though, it was an eye roll moment.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
To be fair, I was pretty sleepy when I wrote the Gamepad comment; a more awake me would've just, you know, Googled it.

I usually try to talk to someone who's actually played a game when investigating if I can play safely or not, instead of just Googling, because there might be little hidden motion controls bits that are fairly ancillary but aren't optional. Plus the tricks I use to get around my hand damage (such as creating controller holders out of Legos and bean bags so that I don't have to hold up the controller) can sometimes create a few idiosyncrasies that no reviewer would ever have cause to even think about, much less discuss in their review.

Fortunately it sounds like motion controls are 100% optional for this game, which is good to hear.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Weaver said:
Yoshi178 said:

how the hell was i supposed to know his hands were crippled? am i supposed to be a mind reader now?

if you read on i apologized as soon as he told me that his hands were crippled.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Yoshi178 said:
how the hell was i supposed to know his hands were crippled? am i supposed to be a mind reader now?

persephone said:
I have crippled hands, and long story short, I can't use the tablet controller, motion controls of any kind, or vibration cues.
Because I said so in my original post?

Regardless, I've missed information in posts before replying just like everyone else, so I'm not going to judge. The apology is accepted, and I've no desire to dwell.

------------

Looking back at my original post, though, that reminds me: Does this game have any vibration cues in it, and can they be turned off?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Yoshi178 said:

That's not entirely accurate, i've encountered atleast one puzzle that requires you to use the gyroscope with no possibilty of using the analog stick. :) Dunno if that changes when you plug in a pro controller though.

Regarding vibration, i haven't noticed any, so either i turned it off somehow or else it's not used in the game. So there's nothing to worry about at that front, but the gyroscope might be a problem, though you can skip past the rare puzzles that uses it.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
persephone said:
Yoshi178 said:

persephone said:

Regardless, I've missed information in posts before replying just like everyone else, so I'm not going to judge. The apology is accepted, and I've no desire to dwell.

------------

Looking back at my original post, though, that reminds me: Does this game have any vibration cues in it, and can they be turned off?
sorry. i skim read your OP and missed that part

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
MrBaskerville said:
Yoshi178 said:

That's not entirely accurate, i've encountered atleast one puzzle that requires you to use the gyroscope with no possibilty of using the analog stick. :) Dunno if that changes when you plug in a pro controller though.

Regarding vibration, i haven't noticed any, so either i turned it off somehow or else it's not used in the game. So there's nothing to worry about at that front, but the gyroscope might be a problem, though you can skip past the rare puzzles that uses it.
With a Wii U pro controller then it might change things for that puzzle. the Switch Pro Controller has a gyro sensor inside of it though just like the Joy Cons do so i don't think there would be escaping it there.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Yoshi178 said:
persephone said:
Yoshi178 said:

persephone said:

------------

sorry. i skim read your OP and missed that part
It's okay dude. No problem.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
MrBaskerville said:
Yoshi178 said:

Is it like those retarded key puzzles in Skyward Sword? Could they use their feet to rotate the controller and solve the puzzle that way?