Brian Fargo Releases Wasteland 2 "Vision Document"

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
You know those old games still exist, right? I played Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex after I played Jade Empire, and Shiren the Wanderer after I played Oblivion. I don't think I need to tell you which ones I liked more.
Yeah, I know. What's your point? I never said they stopped existing.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
TheDrunkNinja said:
Kahunaburger said:
You know those old games still exist, right? I played Planescape: Torment and Deus Ex after I played Jade Empire, and Shiren the Wanderer after I played Oblivion. I don't think I need to tell you which ones I liked more.
That the "rose-tinted glasses" thing has not been my experience with games.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
overall, total voice acting severely limits the amount of dialogue present in the game, so they should really focus more on the script first and then see what happens from there

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
TheDrunkNinja said:
Kahunaburger said:
That the "rose-tinted glasses" thing has not been my experience with games.
Yes, that's perfectly fine. I also never said that applied to everyone. I don't really get when people assume that statements made in generalization are meant to be absolute.

The glasses metaphor doesn't apply to everyone; however, your situation doesn't apply to everyone either. I guess you were more adaptable when you played the older, less approachable RPGs than most people of this generation of games are, so they just fit better. That doesn't however deter from the fact that your individual experience isn't the general experience most modern gamers have. Thus, the concerns Andy had for the game were legitimate. That was my overall point.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
The glasses metaphor doesn't apply to everyone; however, your situation doesn't apply to everyone either. I guess you were more adaptable when you played the older, less approachable RPGs than most people of this generation of games are, so they just fit better. That doesn't however deter from the fact that your individual experience isn't the general experience most modern gamers have.
Forgive me for saying so, but isn't that the entire point of this project? Providing something for a specific audience and not homogenizing it for the sake of mass appeal?

Besides, I think people exaggerate the "less approachable" nature of older RPG's (or perhaps just underestimate the patience and/or intelligence of their peers.) I played the first two Fallout games after Fallout 3 and had no trouble getting into either. Not only that, but I enjoyed them far more.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
draythefingerless said:
I will agree that games like Fallout and Baldurs were greatstorytelling, design and world, but honestly? Just get rid of the DnD gameplay. I love Baldurs Gate, but i cnt play it again. i cant stand that mess of a gamplay system. The chaotic pausing, lack of direction, the confusion on screen, the unnecessary maths(i do enough maths when i work thank you)...Sorry, DnD is a slow MULTIPLAYER game, and i cant play Baldurs gate like that. Thats just my opinion. Hopefully Wastelands gameplay will be more fluid(no need to sacrifice role playing characteristics)
Good point about Baldur's Gate, I think. As much as I loved Fallout's SPECIAL system when I played it in 2008, I haven't yet been able to get into Baldur's Gate's DnD system. I'm thinking I'll give it another try when the updated/enhanced version is released, but I'm not so sure I'll enjoy it as much as those who were there when it was first released do.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I do attest to missing the RPGs of old. With RPGs becoming more like 'The Force' in any Star Wars game/plot, it weakens the RPG genre by having to hold up these games.

It's why I am going back to NWN games, and Jade Empire (as I am waiting to hear more about it's sequel)

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
JediMB said:
I haven't yet been able to get into Baldur's Gate's DnD system.
That's because Baldur's gate's combat is shit, as are most other complex games that use that kind of combat( Kotor, Dragon age, ......)
DVS BSTrD said:
some of the real technical advances in RPGs
What are those advances?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Imbechile said:
JediMB said:
I haven't yet been able to get into Baldur's Gate's DnD system.
That's because Baldur's gate's combat is shit, as are most other complex games that use that kind of combat( Kotor, Dragon age, ......)
DVS BSTrD said:
some of the real technical advances in RPGs
What are those advances?
TBH, Kotors combat wasnt shit, it was too easy. It worked, but i never found myself very challenged(not to mention Non Jedi party members were useless lol and i just took HK because hes funny as fuck). And Dragon Ages combat was ok, it gave some challenge, it was dynamic. it was fluid and didnt interrupt or take me out of the game, wich is more than i can say about Baldurs.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Nostalgia glasses definitely aren't the case with me, since I was 5 when the original Fallout came out and I played it for the first time in January. Considering that my reaction was to buy Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum, I'd say I was able to get into the old-style user interface and lack of clear direction.

I think the people saying that this won't appeal to a mass audience (or even worrying whether it will or not) are missing the point; this isn't meant to bring the whole market around to the old ways or even win over people who aren't used to real RPGs. It's intended to give fans of old-school RPGs what they want, since we don't get games made for us anymore.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
-Drifter- said:
Forgive me for saying so, but isn't that the entire point of this project? Providing something for a specific audience and not homogenizing it for the sake of mass appeal?

Besides, I think people exaggerate the "less approachable" nature of older RPG's (or perhaps just underestimate the patience and/or intelligence of their peers.) I played the first two Fallout games after Fallout 3 and had no trouble getting into either. Not only that, but I enjoyed them far more.
Precisely. I was going to make the same point myself, but you arrived before me. Almost the same experience as you, too (I played FO1 & FO2 slightly before the third, after I saw the ad for FO3. I had been hearing about this franchise for a while, so I decided to give it a try. Now the first two are my favourite games ever).

On a different note, Wasteland 2 doesn't need to sell a lot of copies, because those who financed the game won't get a share of the revenue, just a copy of the game and/or other goods if they donated enough, which means that as long as they cover the expenses outside of the budget(if there are any) with sales, they have already won. It seems a very reasonable goal, and I doubt they will fail in this.

Now, the game MIGHT suck, but at this point I see no reason to be pessimistic or optimistic about it.