Brilliant and obscure soundtracks!

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
So, I was just digging through my big ol' box of PS1 games from years gone by, and I found one of the first games I ever bought, that I'd actually forgotten about... NFL Gameday '98.

Now, the game itself wasn't anything particularly special. I have fond memories of playing against my dad but apart from that, it's your run-of-the-mill, but decent, NFL game. Then I remembered the theme song.

Holy shit guys.

After finding that AMAZING song, I wondered how many other fantastic video game soundtracks had fallen through the cracks.

So my request is for you guys to show me as many fantastic and underappreciated, obscure, or generally unheard songs from video games as you can find. We've all heard the FF7 soundtrack 20 times over, but let's get some songs from Jazz Jackrabbit or Lost Kingdoms 2 up in here.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Ok, shit. For some reason I thought of Top Gear on the SNES:

Escapist is such a great muse, it reminds me of all the great and not-so-great games of yesteryear.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Brilliant obscure soundtracks? Well, perhaps I have to whip out something I consider heavily overlooked: Rise of the Triad!

Seriously, this game's soundtrack is the shit. Why I don't hear it praised more often is beyond me...

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Well this is a pretty easy one for me. Maybe a little less rah-rah TESTOSTERONE than the football one, mind you:

Probably helps if you played the game though, otherwise it's going to sound like a lot of tinkling piano, and doesn't have the 50 megaton emotional punch to the gut it does when it's capping off the game.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I've always had a thing for the first Silent Hill soundtrack. Obviously, Silent Hill isn't obscure, but nobody seems to remember it for the music. It's freaking brilliant. I loved it so much I was ecstatic when I heard the band Portishead [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIcxMuORco] for the first time.
-
And Stewart Copeland doesn't receive enough recognition for his work outside of The Police I think:
-

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012

The entire Suikoden I & II Soundtracks are pretty good. Oh, so many fond memories. A shame that Konami is still in charge of that series.

Glaber

Oct 29, 2012
This is what came to my mind when I read the title:

God, this game is awesome.

Bonus:

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Here's another one. If anyone remembers Burnout 3, the soundtrack system was randomized (I think). I remember the first time I finished it and got the ending credits. This song came on and the payoff was so gratifying after such a hectic, insanely fast game:
People remember the action, but everything I remember about the game is forever associated with this one song.

Marcus McLean

May 12, 2010
Looney Tunes Collector: Martian Alert and Martian Revenge on the Game Boy Color had really good soundtracks AND impressive cutscenes. They were pretty damn good games for the time.

Mission Impossible on the GBC had some great tunes too. The best is at 2:19.