Bring Back Mystery Science Theater 3000 Campaign Lands on Kickstarter

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
One of the items they point out is that maybe this isn't necessary. With YouTube et al maybe their return isn't needed. If so, then the backing will show that out.

As for Mike, he did post on Facebook that while he was happy to be a part of the show, he was just, as he put it, "a hired gun" and has had nothing to do with it since it ended. Joel is the one with the continued investment.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I will have to pass on this for a few reasons. One I don't think that Joel alone can get back the magic of the original show. Secondly I think that MST3K was somewhat a product of its time as well Im not sure how much traction it could get now outside of the old fanbase. Third and most importantly I'm broke :(.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Lightknight said:
$2 million for 3 episodes? Is crow literally made of gold?
I imagine most of that money is going to go towards securing the licensing rights to the films they'd be riffing on.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Lightknight said:
$2 million for 3 episodes? Is crow literally made of gold?
I imagine most of that money is going to go towards securing the licensing rights to the films they'd be riffing on.
Oh yeah? And you think the films they were using would charge $100k or more? Come on, they were bottom barrel shit. Maybe a few $100k if the goal is to get new movies but I seriously doubt it. They can probably get decent b-level stuff for seriously cheap. I mean, most of those were films that were maybe raking in a couple hundred per year at best. If someone comes and offers you 5 years of income to use your property and it may also advertise your property then you'd be silly not to take it. Take the movie Trolls for example. It being on the show made it popular and even made way for Trolls 2. As long as the film maker isn't prideful, this can be pitched as a mutually beneficial arrangement.

We're throwing stones in the dark here. Unless he outlines the anticipated costs here, we really don't know where he's coming from. I know people are talking about electronics being expensive, but it isn't $100k expensive. I don't think they would ever use a professional sound studio or even need to but sure, that could become expensive. But they even do live shows so I know they aren't going out and renting a $5k/day sound studio. EDIT: In fact, it looks like they're going to do this performance live... So maybe they're thinking expense of venue here? But I assume tickets would cover that and alleviate set rental costs.

The entire premise of the show was that it was extremely cheap. $750k per episode is not that. The shows that are most expensive to make are ones that have a large list of actors. At its cheapest, this show just needs three actors as long as two of them can double as puppeteers. You could even get away with just one person with a green screen as long as they never have to touch each other on screen and you make damn sure the camera doesn't get moved between shots. But that would increase the editing time and the number of shots that have to be redone after the editing process reveals problems. Still, no way that amount of time would ever end up being as expensive as another actor's salary.

Compare it to a primetime pilot show for a sitcom. I'm talking about the initial episode where you've got all the actors together and have all the sets and wardrobe and everything in place. The thing where everyone is learning their role and everything takes longer. That's usually around $1.3 million to make. It can go upwards of $3million but that fluctuation depends on the "talent" deals. None of the people involved in these shows are what we'd call "talent". But take a show like Louie, that pilot was $250k and still had 9 actors (one of whom is Chelsea Peretti who is an actual actress), 5 producers (excluding Louie himself), 33 other cast members and multiple sets with all the lighting, sound equipment and everything else.

Does anyone actually know how much it costs to license a B-movie? Maybe he's anticipating a million for licensing and the rest for the show? That would explain why the number of episodes go up quickly while the increase in costs drop.

I mean, it looks like this kickstarter is definitely going to succeed. I'm going to enjoy buying whatever they product. But if I'm going to back a campaign in which $35 only gets me 1 episode then I want to know it isn't a flagrant abuse of the kickstarter system.

EDIT: He addresses why he's asking for so much: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188 (discussing this more in the post below)

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
I never thought the Joel era stuff was that good. Blasphemy, I know.
Don't worry I preferred Mike, too.

Did ... Did Crow change his bowling pin again? The voice .... *shudders*

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
OK, so Joel heard the internet's confusion over the amount of money he's asking for and shed light on why so much:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1413188

Apparently they're accounting for $700k going to Kickstarter and backer rewards. Then $550k is for startup costs (set building, model making, that stuff). So at the end of the math it's looking more like $250k per episode which isn't bad considering that this number also includes licensing fees. Then, after that every additional 1.1 million has the same math attached to it but without the $550k in startup costs so the budget for the shows gets lighter.

So, with this explanation in mind, I formally recant my original statement of doubt. The number makes sense.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Wow. Almost two million dollars already ($1,826,428 as of this writing) and only five days into the month-long campaign. Personally, I would have at least wanted to see a screen test for whoever the hell is on the main cast. Do the backers all even realize that it's not Mike Nelson or Trace Beaulieu or Kevin Murphy or Bill Corbett or Joel Hodgson who would be doing the riffing? Joel wasn't clear whether the people in the kickstarter video were going to be the new cast, but they certainly didn't prove that they're funny. That is the point, right, that the show be funny?

Eh. Given that there's every reason to believe the campaign will succeed given their funding to date, I'll probably take a look at what the crew makes once the project is all over. But unless I hear that some proven talent better than a rare cameo by Joel (one of the least funny main cast members) comes on board, I see no reason to open my wallet for this project.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
I have... mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, it'd be great to see more MST3K... on the other, isn't that what the likes of Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic are for?
Just Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic closed shop two years ago.