Brink Review

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
Wandrecanada said:
AngelicSven said:
Brink...

The good, it's not CoD and that is truly what's great about it. The style and feel of the game were refreshing and nice. Despite what everyone says, I found the AI to be similar to everything else, dumb of course but rarely. SMART is a cool concept but usually unnecessary and occasionally runs you into stuff. The HUD didn't bother me.

The bad, pretty much everything else. I found it excruciatingly boring and easy even when it's trying to be hard, everything's really samey to something I've played before. The classes aren't really varied and there's a plethora of games that have done this much better. I do really like the art style and the customization though, too bad they couldn't give us 3 female models in addition though, strange for a game that boasts its insane customization to drop a gender. The skill sets were odd, why could I not shoot a grenade on the ground unless I have this arbitrary point?

I played it, beat it, and took it back yesterday. Thankfully I had my receipt so I got a full credit back. :3
While I admit Brink is not for everyone I must say that you didn't play it long enough to fully figure out what makes the game unique and fun. Sure you might have beat the campaign mode but how did you beat it? Against bots? Easy or Hard? Versus humans? With friends?

Brink takes longer than a day to learn and by your samey comment I know immediately that you were playing it like a standard shooter. While you can easily equip all your weps with an RDS and stand at range firing from a camped position Brink does far more. I'm pretty sure there's not a single other shooter out there that lets you vault over a ledge, kick an enemy over and shoot him without actually breaking stride.

You're probably just the wrong kind of player for Brink and that's fine. I'm just certain there's a lot of game you missed by simply playing it like a something it's not.
I beat the campaigns on hard (mostly with bots, friends joined in later), as I typically go for the most difficult and scale down if need be. I dabbled in multiplayer objectives/deathmatches when it was up a bit with a couple buddies who snagged it and it was alright, not outstanding. As how I play it, I play tactically not how you're assuming I do, I love objectives opposed to deathmatch and I don't really run and gun, I typically play medic/support (I preferred Light Medic), which did have fun play mechanics, and find flanking/vantage points. After campaign, we pretty much just dicked around in multiplayer, and I decided I wanted my 60 bucks to buy something else.

Where'd you get a day from? It was released the 10th, but my local shop broke street date and I got it on the 8th, I played it for 6-8 days, easily enough time to find enough of Brink to hook me with something, it just didn't. You shouldn't be so assuming or passive aggressive about it, just because I didn't like a game you did.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
mmm...i think i'll just stick to s.t.a.l.k.e.r, like the customization though.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
This is a mini-review I wrote elsewhere and gives my feelings on the game.

---

I own Brink on the PC, via Steam preorder. I bought as a Splash Damage title, having enjoyed the gameplay of Wolf:ET and ET:QW on both Linux and Windows for years, along with their associated mods. Here's my impressions so far

Bugs/Quality etc...: So far, I'm not seeing the glitches other seem to be. Admittedly, I'm running a Core i7 920 at 3.8ghz, 6gb RAM, and an ATI 6970 2gb (with 11.4 Catalyst drivers). Everything is smooth, good looking

Appearance Customization: More than what one would expect in a generic FPS, but the whole "We had to cut out female player models because we couldn't customize it" I can see is absolute bullshit. There's a nice handful of clothes, hairstyles etc... and all that unlockable stuff, relatively quickly, but from someone who's played Borderlands, Global Agenda, and any modern MMORPG, we're not looking at "a lot" of appearance add-ons. The stuff that exists looks good, and there's little overlap between Security and Resistance. Player faces and whatnot are a bit plain and often look like everyone's juiced way too hard on steroids and afflicted with Sarah Jessica Parker face. If you like "short and messy" hairstyles, you'll be happy. If you like long hair, prepare to be disappointed. Of note, there is probably the highest ratio of black hairstyles to non-black hairstyles in any game, ever - they can be equipped on anyone of course, but they just don't look quite right. If you like tattoos, there are a handful to choose from, but nearly all of them are obvious "I am a crazy gangbanger, my entire face is covered" types. Body size is the only stat that means something in the game (Light, Med, Heavy), so pay attention to the tooltip when they unlock for you.

Weapons - A nice compliment of weapons unlocked from the start. Note that your default "Medium" body, will NOT let you see ALL the weapons - you have to switch to others. Remember that ammo is bloody important, so be or find a "Soldier" class to resupply or else you're going to run out. You'll see a lot of users with SMGs because they strike a balance between power and ammo - Spray and pray is NOT going to work in this game. I do find that I'd like there to be a little more variation in the different guns and hope they add more later - sometimes it seems there's no reason to use certain guns at all, like the pistols, which seem underpowered, especially the revolver - which makes the sound of the big handcannon and has huge kick, but less damage than it really should given its low ammo and fire rate. Guns feel pretty..conventional, but the customization is nice. Basically, you unlock a set number of customizations - for instance, different scopes (Those pre-ordering from Steam get a nice low bulk scope along with a machine pistol. Generally, I think the scope is the best preorder bonus in terms of actual function. In addition, the Hockler Machine Pistol is very nice for a light bodytype, though someone said its stats are identical to another MP) have different effects on your vision, but its a balancing act - a bigger scope zooms you in farther, but also obscures your peripheral vision more, and weighs your gun down so you swap to the weapon slower. Do you choose an extended clip, or duct-tape clips that make every other reload near instant? Underbarrel grenade launcher, or a front handle to increase stability? Silencers keep you from being shown on the minimap when you fire, but reduce damage around 7%.

Abilities - Each character levels up and gets points to spend on talents, a la Battlefield BC2 and whatnot. There are general pools and those specific to each of the 4 traditional Splash Damage classes. These range from allowing you to toss a grenade when sprinting, to an engineer constructing heavier turrets, to a medic's "revive grenade" bringing everyone back to life in an AOE. Each ability costs 1 "point", but it is important to note that until you rank up (1 Star, 2 Star etc...) there are certain abilities that are locked to you. These ranks are not the same as levels, but it seems that every few levels (5?) you gain a new rank. I wish that there was more of a display of rank/titles in game - with persistent characters it would be nice to have different insignia applicable to any clothes unlock, or certain clothes that could only be worn by someone with a certain Level, Rank, and proficiency in a class (For instance, a gold wrench with laurels around it on your shoulder and collar is only available to someone who has totally spec'ed out the complete engineering tree, or someone at level X can choose a Lieutenant's bar for Security, or a hastily scrawled icon for Resistance). This kind of thing would be a simple layer of configuration that seems silly not to include.

Gameplay - Overall, this is an Enemy Territory heritage game, mixed with movement from Mirror's Edge. Definitely "skill based' and teamwork is required. The movement is fluid, and learning the best way to navigate various levels is important, taking into consideration the body type you're using. Wall jumps and whatnot are important, you "see" your arms and hands as you pull yourself up and much like Mirror's Edge, movement has the correct "weight" to it. I haven't decided if I like how the weapons feel yet, but I'm not a connoisseur of modern FPS. I can see how a lot of people are going to pan the game for what amounts to their own shortcomings - there's no "get a kill streak and hit the I win button" here, TEAMWORK is the name of the game. I like that. Nomatter your class, you have a job to do and Brink makes it easy to do - hold "F" to do whatever you're supposed to do to someone else, or X for some self-action. Soldiers replenish their own ammo or others, and plant det packs for destruction objectives. Engineers buff their and others damage (plus other features, such as armor, depending on talents), build turrets, fix/build/break objectives etc... Medics heal and buff others and revived downed allies through a relatively novel approach - they toss "revive syringes" to downed-but-not-dead allies, who then have to press X to use it and revive, stopping the whole "Shock paddles, I'm standing straight up, now I'm dead again" thing, Agents can don disguises from a dead enemy (with talents, doing so shows everyone on your team the enemy team's location, for a second), complete hack objectives, throw stickybombs, "firewall" control points, and "spot" enemies which creates a red outline of that enemy's location that your team can see even through walls,. Its important to note that classes do not restrict weapons unlike most games - body type does. Melee Attacks take skill and you can actually knock an enemy down, but I'd like to see a little more variety than simple smacks with rifle butts or pistol whipping - bladed or blunt weapons would have added another layer to the game. Work together or you'll find yourself out of ammo and getting blown to bits.

Multiplayer/ Campaign - Enemy Territory style, there is a campaign of around 12 multi-faceted maps with different objectives. Its what I expected for a Splash Damage game, but I admit I'm a little underwhelmed. I was expecting something a bit more comprehensive for a full price title, but then again I'm a bigger fan of Borderlands and Global Agenda (Planetside too!) than any other traditional FPS.

Single Player - This is where I have to say my greatest disappointment is found. There is no single player campaign. None. You can play any of the multiplayer campaign or challenges solo if you wish. There's a little intro and exit cinematic (not prerendered at least, game engine) to talk about the mission and how it relates to the story, but its quite terse. I was expecting a sprawling, Borderlands-like campaign - there was so much potential! The whole "Ark" thing had me envisioning walking through a slum and seeing the kids there, branching morality paths deciding if a Security officer like myself is going to let someone go even if they steal food (which will then help later, as that NPC would open a door for me etc..), or dispense "justice" with my nightstick (which would lead to another officer giving me a bandoleer for the entertainment) etc... I can't honestly believe they charge $50 for this. Even bloody Call of Duty had a better single player campaign. Inexcusable in this day and age. Had it been more like Borderlands, it could have been great.

Conclusion: If you're the type that cares about the single player game, this is not the title for you. If you focus mostly on multiplayer and like "traditional" FPSes, I'd rank it above all the Medal of Honor/Call of Duty/ Battlefield etc.. .clones in recent years. If you liked the old WolfET/ET:QW you're getting more of the same. Customization is good, but they really need to add a LOT of new content to make it worth $50. At the end of the day it comes to being merely "Good" , when it could have been "great". If Bethesda/SplashDamage doesn't drop the price quick and/or include a TON of free DLC, people will probably find it rather forgettable, which is unfortunate given its potential and setting. If you can pick it up for $25 or less or when it goes on sale, its probably a worthy addition to your FPS collection. I really hope the devs get on their ass to add everything under the sun, lest it be a flop.

Buy Instead: "Section 8: Prejudice" - Its amazing for $12-15 from Steam!

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I really enjoy the game! Finished both campaigns, am doing the challenges, but the lag I have experienced online has been rather bad. When that's fixed, then I will probably love this game even more. LOVE the customisation!

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
i may not add much to this conversation but the game really is good if not for content alone. sure it may have MINOR flaws in execution but im enjoying it far more than ive enjoyed most shooters lately ._. shockingly even to me im kinda prefering brink over battlefield and halo right now so.....its worth picking up.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
DeaconSawyer said:
Also, for those with AI problems, just stop playing on easy.
yeah, i agree here. i really dont understand the few complaints ive heard about the AI. I have been handed my own posterior a good few times playing the AI alone on normal. They will do some unexpected things sometimes that usually only a player would think of and leave you questioning what just happened. ive honestly had two different occasions where i meant to play online versus and didnt even notice i wastn playing against people until the match ended and i saw the names of the bots.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I haven't tried this game yet, but I don't think it is for me, sadly. I would like to try it out, but if I have to spend a lot of time learning how to play then I guess I'm not able to devote myself to it. I lose patience too quickly. I wish I could be young again... or work as a game reviewer...

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
I was hyping this game for a long time. When I first played it, I was really underwhelmed, but I soon grew to love it. My biggest dissapointments are the lack of a party system (You have to invite friends in-game) and how you have to wait for people to join your game. This has me playing with a lot of bots even when I have it set at versus where anyone can join. This game is very fun with friends as well, especially if your group has poeple using various body types and classes. I'm dedicated to heavy medic. If you find one psrticulor play style that suits you well, the game is more enjoyable.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Love this game, it's a shame that it's having problems with lag at the moment but when you get a game with a good connection it's one of the most fun multiplayer games I've played in a while. Can't wait until the lag is patched.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
The first time through a given level was always very confusing. Once I learned a map, though, it got very fun.

butternut

Jul 14, 2010
Been playing this on and off for most of the day today, I unlocked the grenade launcher and used it on a whim, its quickly flying up on the list to be one of my favourite weapons on brink. Partially because I did a shot a grenade almost directly up which bounced off the ceiling and landed on the head of a heavy guy using a minigun which knocked him over. Thern grenade fell on his chest and exploded incapping him. Realising this I've been bouncing grenades off walls towards enemies for about an hour to see what trick shots I can pull off.

Loving this game to bits so far dispite the flaws (which I can very easily ignore)

Subwayeatn

Jan 28, 2011
I'm loving everything about the game, especially the parkour (i'm ranked 20-30 or so on the leaderboards for the "parkour this" challenge for ps3)

Unfortunately i lag pretty bad at times online.

munsterman

Nov 22, 2009
I love this game, its the first objective base FPS I've liked in a while. Like stated some things are wonkey: the slide tackle/melee knockdown not working 2/3s of the time I try em, or the fact that if there you try to play at anything below full green bar your jump, jitter and jive like a crack addict.

When it works it great, when its flaws show its infuriating. (I play on the PS3)

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Looks at the combination of butternut's and Subwayeatn's avatars above him

With that fairly lame joke out of the way the games mobility DOES a good job of removing what I always considered to be the worst part of any FPS and that is of course useless snipers, now I'm not going to say you can't snipe in this game, just that the mobility inherent in the S.M.A.R.T system makes countering a sniper easy, but I also find people who play heavy medic who do nothing but heal themselves and try to get as many kills as possible with their minigun.

Luykus said:
So this game is like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? Because I liked that game.
yep even made by the same people.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Damnit man, I was on the fence about this game and that didn't help me!

The terrifying puppets in question. Those about made me cry as a kid...and I loved the muppets.

HankMan said:
Is it just me or do all the guys in this game have TF2 Scout's head? Sure the faces are different enough, but they all seem to have the profile of a Neanderthal.
No sir, they are all terrifying melted puppets.
I prefer Disturbed's version, but Genesis' version is still quite good.

Anyway, it seems the mixed opinions on Brink continue; which is cool and all, everyone has their own opinions. I'm still trying to get into Brink, but it's hard when the online is broken for you. Maybe that's been fixed recently, though I haven't had the opportunity to play it again yet. My university accommodation disables gaming ports, so my main computer's steam needs to run in constant offline mode.

I do like Brink's aesthetic style, though. The characters look appropriately on the 'slightly surreal' side (is that the right description?); that and it's good to see colours other than browns and greys again. Okay, I suppose Crysis 2 had it's share of green, but still.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Just putting this out there, but you know SMART is meant to be a learning tool for beginners so they can see what is possible right? Once you learn that you can get a lot more versatility and much more reliable movement by doing things manually.