BRINK

DELTA x WOLF

Feb 11, 2009
I'm very excited for the new FPS title to come out next year but I have this feeling that all of this hype might just be a bunch of hot air, and everyone thats going to buy it wont be happy with what they bought

Brink is an upcoming first-person shooter video game developed by Splash Damage and inspired by the Seasteading movement, it is scheduled for release Febuary 2 2011. It offers team-based multiplayer missions with authored narratives, persistent player characters and an approachable nature. It is also developer Splash Damage's first original title, as past titles were part of franchises.

In Brink, two sides, "Resistance" and "Security", fight in the previously utopian city known as The Ark, a floating city surrounded by the waters of a flooded Earth. The Ark was designed as a prototype of a perfect city, with renewable resources and no pollution, large enough to support 5,000 residents. However, due to many refugees entering the city from other parts of the world, its population has grown to 50,000, meaning there are not enough resources to go around - resulting in the city being on the brink (hence the name of the game) of a civil war.

Brink is a first-person shooter built around a story mode playable online with up to 8 players in a co-operative style, against bots, or in competitive team-against-team multi-player. You will play as a fully customizable character. Custom characters can be created with gear bought with experience points earned by completing objectives. All custom clothing items are purely cosmetic.

Brink also features Splash Damage's SMART ("Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain") System. It allows players to maneouvre around complex environments without equally complex input by analysing their position and judging what they are trying to do. The movement style is that of parkour, similar to that as seen in the Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed games.

The game features four class types, designed to promote teamwork. The first class, Soldier, is always on the front lines. The Soldier can resupply teammates with ammo and carries high explosives to destroy key targets. The second class, Engineer, is geared more for fixing things. Engineers can buff their teammates' weapons and can also place turrets at strategic locations. The third class, Medic, primarily heals downed teammates, though they also buff their allies' health. The fourth class, the Operative, deals mostly behind enemy lines, hacking objectives and performing acts of sabotage. Operatives can interrogate downed opponents to provide intel on enemy locations or disguise themselves and operate as one of the enemy.

While in gameplay, both multiplayer and campaign, the player can bring up a "wheel" of sorts providing various objectives to fulfil. Each of these objectives give a specific amount of experience. The available missions are produced based upon the player's specific position on the map, his relative skill, current progress in the overall mission, and a wide variety of factors.

Its to good to believe.
What do you think?

http://www.brinkthegame.com/features/customization/

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
Sounds like a fun game, although a lot of the stuff I hear about it reminds me of TF2. Although, that isn't a bad thing...

ShoryukenDude

Mar 24, 2009
While I'm incredibly excited about this game, I think Splash Damage has too many ideas in the air to fulfill all of them, ala Peter Molyneux. The SMART system is good in theory, but implementing it successfully after release could be a serious problem.

But, as I said before, I really am looking forward to this release. Hopefully it cashes in on it's promises.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
Game looked interesting till I heard it had first person free running, which just doesn't seem to work for me

Apr 14, 2009
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Game looked interesting till I heard it had first person free running, which just doesn't seem to work for me
Play Mirror's Edge? It was fantastic in that game. Would love to see a Mirror's Edge: Deathmatch game though so I'm looking forward to this.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I've been following the game for a while now, and, though it seems really good, it's going to come down to execution.

If the company can pull off everything they're promising then it will be great. Otherwise... not so much.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Looks like a console port to be honest. Need evidence look at the huge interface obviously aimed at someone looking at a TV from a distance or the control system obviously aimed at a controler.

No thanks.

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
I really want it to be good,but honestly I think its got a bit to much promises for them all to be held.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
flip7406 said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Play Mirror's Edge? It was fantastic in that game. Would love to see a Mirror's Edge: Deathmatch game though so I'm looking forward to this.
I did play mirror's edge and the first person perspective caused more troubles for me than it was worth to keep playing. Like I said I had nothing against the game except the first person free running didn't work for me, most of my friends loved that game.