Brit Finds Secret Message on Dead World War II Carrier Pigeon

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Iron Criterion said:
Looks like...

*puts on sunglasses*

They stopped the Pigeon.

OT: So, any idea what it says atm? We need an update on this, could be vital to winning the war!
;)

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Say, is anyone else here tempted too try and break the code before the Brits?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
It is probably mentioning the probability of all the future war-games about WW2 we have now.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Construction workers still regularly find relics from that time, like undetonated bombs, but for some reason they don't think of those as being "like Christmas". Odd.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Skeleon said:
Construction workers still regularly find relics from that time, like undetonated bombs, but for some reason they don't think of those as being "like Christmas". Odd.
Because they're just doing their job, and probably don't give two craps about the war. I'm amazed at how many people are getting so worked-up about the wife's "it was like Christmas" comment. Heaven forbid someone be excited about finding a World War 2 relic in their own home.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
The secret message:

"Hitler only has one ball."

Well, it IS Britain.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Perhaps it was the worlds funniest joke? It would explain a lot. Too bad the code they used was pigeon language.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
"A secret message? From our soldiers in Germany?! Maybe this is finally the last clue we need to turn this war around! It's like Christmas!". That's the only explanation I could think of for her saying that it's like Christmas. Unless, of course, she has some weird pigeon-bone-with-secret-message-wrapped-around-it's-leg fetish.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
They should the bird AT&T :p
I guess this is what happens when you try to send a message during beak hours.
I bet the cryptographers are homing in on the exact method to crack the code.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If it's in code (not a cypher), it might never be cracked. Any cypher from the pre-computer days can easily be cracked nowdays (if the message is long enough), if it's just a series of code words you need a codebook or someone who has memorised one.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
It's probably just a shopping list.

"Dear Mum,

I'm doing fine.
Please send me a pound of cheddar and an ounce of ham.

Love,
William"

Kuratius

May 23, 2012
Here are a few shots of the message:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2226203/Skeleton-hero-World-War-II-carrier-pigeon-chimney-secret-coded-message-attached-leg.html

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
BeerTent said:
"It was like Christmas," his wife said.
Pigeon bones! Everywhere! They just fall from the sky all December and we decorate our Christmas tree with them! Infact, I don't even know why we call it Christmas! It's just that time of year where we get a massive influx of Pigeon bones instead of fat men in red suits!

Happy Bone-mas! Pigeon Bones for everyone!
This made me laugh WAY more than it should've xD

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
This looks like a message that's to be decrypted using a one-time [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad] pad.

I wonder if this has any relation to any of the UK-based "numbers stations [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station]".

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Dead World War II carrier pigeon?

As opposed to a living World War II carrier pigeon? ;D

OT: I wonder what the message says...

I bet it's just a shopping list, encrypted for poops and giggles.
They translated it. It says "Suck it Churchill!"