- Heveanly Sword
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
- Crackdown

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
erttheking said:
Yahtzee was right, the greatest game ever was made when you were 12. In other words, Nostalgia rules all...even me now that I think about it.
It's not all nostalgia though, for me the golden age lasts too long for that. Basically from 94-99 we had some absolutely classic games (I was 13-18 at the time), and gaming as a whole went through a revolution (2D to 3D), which doesn't happen very often. That period of the SNES-PS1-N64 will never be topped IMO. Maybe if virtual reality (or maybe use augmented glasses tech somehow) gaming takes off, I dunno.

I have to say though, this generation has been pretty good so far as well. Working on my backlog, I'm currently having my first playthrough on Mass Effect 2. It is bloody amazing. Rarely do I find myself thinking about a game while at work nowadays, but this is def one of them.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Mario 64 was the best game ive ever played. I love the list, I loved Halo Combat Evolved, Elder Scrolls and Vice City as well. Great list id say!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I couldn't decide by year. I will always say it's between 1995 and 2005. There were so many games released in that time that really accomplished a lot and unfortunately a lot of those games aren't remembered as well as the repeating franchises. In fact there were so many games talked about around my school at the time it was impossible for me to count them all. Literally more than enough games to cater to every different gamer (and me), and most of the designs in these games were pretty original too, and even special projects like Mugine swept the net.

Yahtzee has a point with the PS2, the library of good quality games on it is overwhelming.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Looks about right. Interesting. It looks like a 'Golden Year' happens about ever 5-6 years. Atualy, it's 5 then 6 then 5 then 6 Which means one should have been been 2002+5 -> 2007 and the next one should be happening this year.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Really, since I've been gaming for close to 24 years, it is hard for me pin point a golden year. I would say the time period of when gaming felt truly special and I had no problems with anything would be from the NES area to the N64. The Gamecube for the most part was pretty magical for me as well, it did bring to me what I consider the best Zelda game and that is Wind Waker.

I was a Nintendo gamer until about 4 years ago when I finally caved and got an XBox 360 because it was what all my friends had. Before that I had to split screen with them, and on rare occasions they had me bring over my Wii for shits and giggles with Wii Sports.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
ArcossG said:
How about 2007

- Mass Effect
- Assassin's Creed
- Cod 4
- Bioshock
- Halo 3
- Portal
- Team Fortress 2
- HL2: Episode 2
- Lost Planet
- Overlord
- God Of War 2
- STALKER: Shadow Of Chernobyl
- World In Conflict
- Crysis
- Heveanly Sword
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
- Crackdown
That was a good year, I didn't play alot of those games but I remember people in the early-mid 2000s being 'happy' on the most part.

It was 2002-2005 for me, thats when the Gameboy/Gamecube were ruling my life, happy times. It was also around this time I got a Playstation 2, wasn't very mainstream, you guys proberly never heard of it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ukomba said:
Which means one should have been been 2002+5 -> 2007 and the next one should be happening this year.
2002-07 were mine, without a doubt.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
ellers07 said:
I don't know about choosing a particular year. That seems like a pretty brief window for a golden age. However, I would agree that the second half of the 90s was a good time to be a gamer. Between the playstation and the 64 there was some great stuff. Mario 64 is still my favorite Mario and I will always remember the first time I saw the battle of Hoth in Shadows of the Empire on my friend's ridiculously huge TV. Good times!
I agree with this. Had they said "Golden Year" I'd accept it more. Still, hard to argue with the line '96 had. N64 is still tops in my books!