Britain in videogames

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
To be fair in WW2 games like COD the British efforts are seen as far less than the American (same in film.) Infact Britain did far more in both world wars than Americans (in terms of years if nothing else but lets not get into that tangent) . To be fair though you could argue that alot if not the entire fantasy setting is based/influenced on Medieval England and other parts of Europe.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Jorge, anyone?

I'm not fussed, myself. So what if there's no British guys, I just want aliens/robots/Russians to shoot at and a story to get through.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Fable....if Albion is meant to be Britain the countryside is spot on but the people make me cringe.

Same with the female worgen accents in WOW, jesus, if they want a female british accent I'll go and do the voice acting why do they have to get some random american speaking a bad cockney accent. It's only saying things like 'Time is money friend' Not hard. Same with the dwarves... They really couldn't find one scottish actor to say thingts like; 'keep your feet on the ground'? Sigh.

Desmond and Dean, the ghouls from Fallout, are the only ones who restores my faith in developerdom. Keep Calm and Carry On my friends!.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
There's brits all over the place. Bigger question: where are all the Canadians? The only ones I know of were the couple of missions from Call of Duty 3, and Commander Shepard.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Lara Croft, everyone in Fable is basically british, James Bond, Lord British (lol), Those guys from The Getaway, Major Zero from Snake Eater.

As far as the actual Britain goes... releasedates are a problem for a LOT of countries and areas. Yahtzee certainly complains about them a lot.

gentleben

Mar 7, 2008
Daniel, the protagonist of Amnesia: The Dark Descent is English.

I think Professor Layton might be as well (although you could just as easily argue he exists in another universe).

Lara Croft is British, Cammy and Birdie from Street Fighter, the protagonist of No One Lives Forever was British, Everyone in GTA: London 1969...

A harder challenge would be some Australian characters. With the exception of Under a Steel Sky (which was set in a future, distopian Australia where everyone speaks with an American accent), there aren't many other games set in Australia, or featuring Australians.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
gentleben said:
A harder challenge would be some Australian characters. With the exception of Under a Steel Sky (which was set in a future, distopian Australia where everyone speaks with an American accent), there aren't many other games set in Australia, or featuring Australians.
I can think of two Australian characters off the top of my head;

*Fiona Taylor from the Mercenaries series
*Rook from Modern Warfare 2 (the guy who dies at the end of "The Enemy of my Enemy")

Also in Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction the ExOps headquarters is supposadly located in Australia.

Also I think there's a chapter in Sly 3 that takes place in Australia.

Oh, and I think Kano in Mortal Kombat (2011) is suppossed to have an Australian accent.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
I'm British and i've always felt that Britain and British people are straight-up ignored in videogames and with these crappy release dates we get it always feels like we're just being lumped in with 'the rest of the world'. Hardly any individuality.
Maybe we just are.
Hell! We're even treated badly by are own countries game studios! (i have reason to beleive, correct me if i'm wrong)
So, what do you escapists feel about this? Do you agree or think that perhaps i should stop moaning and just suck it up.
Perhaps i'm delusional.
Please reply. :D
Playing as the Brits in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts is more fun than as any of the other factions. They have the best campaign, really, really fun, and the characters are funny, brave, and awesome.

EDIT: Also James Bond games.

Cally Rivers

Feb 16, 2011
Relating to this, it's also annoying how Britain is just England to the majority of
thaluikhain said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
We all need individual identities as a country, which is why it annoys me when i say i'm from britain and people go 'Oh, you mean europe?'
Well, Britain does happen to be part of Europe. Also, while I can see why that'd be annoying, can you, off the top of your head, list the names and cultural features of every nation in Europe? If not, how can you expect people living on another continent to do so?
Having to remember all of Europe off of the top of my head would be a challenge, yes, but understanding it's divided by England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales is an easy enough thing to remember. Most Americans I've met & spoken to seem to think U.K = England/poncey English accents.

Anyway, on topic - Lara Croft is a prime example. Although, I'm pretty sure the reboot has her as American now?
G.T.A had a London 1969 game (Which they really SHOULD revisit soon. Be awesome!).
Shadow Hearts series had some fine British characters & London/Welsh locales.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
We all need individual identities as a country, which is why it annoys me when i say i'm from britain and people go 'Oh, you mean europe?'
Well, Britain does happen to be part of Europe. Also, while I can see why that'd be annoying, can you, off the top of your head, list the names and cultural features of every nation in Europe? If not, how can you expect people living on another continent to do so?
Actually we generally can, most people living here can name a good number of European countries and associated addenda (language, capital, head of state, etc.)

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Zantos said:
I think the use of the SAS in Modern Warfare was pretty cool. In fairness I can't think of any games where we're portrayed badly, we show up well in all the ones I've played with main characters that are British. All, what, four of them?
What about Killzone?
Sure they weren't ACTUALLY British, but they had the accent!
And the ties with Nazi's which i found odd.

'THE' accent? You of all people (living in Great Britain) should know 'the' accent doesn't apply.

smeghead00 said:
killing floor is i think entirely set in Britian, complete with london buses and red phone boxes
And with the newest DLC: CHAVS!

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
All Call of Duty games
Killing Floor
Everything WH40k related
All the Fable games

And thats just off the top of my head, not counting likeable British side characters like Wheatley or Shaun from AC.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
In terms of games where they're portrayed as good fun guys, there's countless of great British characters. If you want to talk about how the British are treated in terms of the industry in terms of release dates and special edition packs, well, that's a whole different matter (there was absolutely no reason for the Demon's Souls mess).

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
I'm British and i've always felt that Britain and British people are straight-up ignored in videogames and with these crappy release dates we get it always feels like we're just being lumped in with 'the rest of the world'. Hardly any individuality.
Maybe we just are.
Hell! We're even treated badly by are own countries game studios! (i have reason to beleive, correct me if i'm wrong)
So, what do you escapists feel about this? Do you agree or think that perhaps i should stop moaning and just suck it up.
Perhaps i'm delusional.
Please reply. :D
Australia. You think we get it bad: We need to wait weeks at times for games to even release here. Considering were not even censored.

And anyway, was Resistance: Fall of Man set in Britan? I remember some contrevercy over some church or something being represented in that game.

The only games that i know of in which Australia is even MENTIONED in any real sence is Team Fortress 2 and C&C Tiberium wars and its expansion pack.

Thats basically it, i think.

Oh, and that Ty the Tiger or whatever it was, but thats a localy made game, and i wouldnt think anyone else actiualy knows about it.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
Well we don't produce that many games. Though Ferelden was supposed to be based upon medieval England, and Albion in Fable is basically fantasy Britain. But yeah, we tend to only show up as side characters or as the basis for fantasy lands. It's like how Europeans are almost completely absent in Hollywood.

Ooh, ooh! Professor Layton! Ha! He's English! The whole series is set in England!

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Uber Evil said:
Killing Floor is set primarily in England on the original levels.
Get off me ya div!

Dosh!

And if that's not enough, the Wii U will get a game called Killer Freaks from Outer Space in which you play a balding aging British man trying to fight off an alien invasion.