British Kids Tv Show...

Flamehero1

Jun 6, 2010
Trying to remember a childhood show like so many before me!

If I remmember right it was on cbbc, there were these little carved animals.. there was a wolf, a bear and I think an eagle as well as maybe a snake? But they were really these ancient mystical things...and there was evil bad wizard guy ... sorry for the lack of information but if you know what I'm talking about I'd appreciate the help!

For discussion value... how about a show you loved from your childhood but now think to yourself "why on earth did I like this crap?"

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
I remember that! It was called the Shoebox Zoo.

I do wish I'd watched more of that, but I always seemed to be elsewhere. I also loved 'Help, I'm a Teenage Outlaw!' but that got cancelled. I don't really see why, it was fun and a bit different... Can't remember how good the acting was though, not that it really matters in a kids show.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
How old of a show are we talking? Mid 90's, early 2000s?

EDIT: Well that mystery is solved, i may aswel talk about kids show i used to love - Round the (motherfucking) Twist!

I loved that!

Have you ever, ever felt liek this? ♫

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
Never watched that but my sister did. She's 16 and still watches CBBC for the Deadly Sixtey with Steve Backshaw.

I used to wacth Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Was never really a big fan off CBBC. But, can't remember if it was Itv or what, my all time fav was always Jungle Run, basically a kids version of Crystal Maze.

Flamehero1

Jun 6, 2010
_tinned_magpie_ said:
Flamehero1 said:
_tinned_magpie_ said:
You sir or madam just won. Everything. Ever.
You sir or madam, are very welcome. I for one loved the eagle.
I was more a fan of the wolf just cause it went bad and turned good again...and to me at that age it was the coolest thing ever haha!

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
Flamehero1 said:
_tinned_magpie_ said:
Flamehero1 said:
_tinned_magpie_ said:
You sir or madam just won. Everything. Ever.
You sir or madam, are very welcome. I for one loved the eagle.
I was more a fan of the wolf just cause it went bad and turned good again...and to me at that age it was the coolest thing ever haha!
Awesome design too. They all looked great.

I liked the eagle because he was an absolute coward most of the time, and yet he was supposed to be the brains of the menagerie! I don't remember much of it, but I can always remember the four of them sliding down a banister and screaming fit to burst. That killed me every time I saw it.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I am still convinced the Morbegs haunt every park ever. Next time you walk through one, make sure you don't litter.

Flamehero1

Jun 6, 2010
Tib088 said:
Never watched that but my sister did. She's 16 and still watches CBBC for the Deadly Sixtey with Steve Backshaw.

I used to wacth Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends and Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Was never really a big fan off CBBC. But, can't remember if it was Itv or what, my all time fav was always Jungle Run, basically a kids version of Crystal Maze.
I watched all of them and the Jungle Run was fantastic! Ever watch Eliminator?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
_tinned_magpie_ said:

I do wish I'd watched more of that, but I always seemed to be elsewhere. I also loved 'Help, I'm a Teenage Outlaw!' but that got cancelled. I don't really see why, it was fun and a bit different... Can't remember how good the acting was though, not that it really matters in a kids show.
Shoebox Zoo! I used to love that show! Trouble is I could only really watch it intermittently because whenever it was on, I was still on my way home from school, so I'd have to either be quick walking home or I'd miss it :(. Plus my mum used to say we could only watch what we wanted after school until 5pm, then she'd put her quiz shows on, on Channel 4...

Anyway, great show, from the early Noughties, wish I could see it again actually. Hold on a minute, I can! This is the internet, after all!

On to the other topic of discussion, anyway. Jungle Run was always one of my favourites as a kid, also Eliminator and Zzzzap! (I think that's the right number of Z's, but maybe not...). CITV was such a great sub-channel, nowadays it's nowhere near as good as it once was. As for CBBC, I always enjoyed Basil Brush (the new show) and Tracy Beaker.

I kind of had a thing for game shows in my youth as well, which has never gone away. As a treat for my birthday each year, because filming took place in the summer (near my August birthday) and it was done at the Birmingham NIA, near the town I grew up in, we always went to see the Gladiators being filmed, and I'd almost never miss an episode when it was on TV. I really enjoyed the Sky revived version too, it's a shame that didn't become as big as the original. On Challenge TV I always used to watch the old episodes of Takeshi's Castle too, as well as Fort Boyard, Interceptor, and The Crystal Maze. I still watch them now sometimes too, along with Ninja Warrior. They just don't make game shows now like they used to, I reckon that if one of the three big channels (BBC, ITV or Channel 4) were to revive even just one of those old shows I listed, it would be a huge success, if they did it in the same style as the originals. I would certainly watch them, and probably apply to take part too. The only thing similar that's any good we have now is Total Wipeout, and although it's great, it's just not the same... :p

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
Flamehero1 said:
Tib088 said:

I watched all of them and the Jungle Run was fantastic! Ever watch Eliminator?
The Eliminator scared the hell out of me! Loved Jungle Run though. I remember absolutely despising those two guys dressed as monkeys, because I'd always be expecting them to either screw everything up or kidnap a contestant and put them in a cage.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Out of the British kids tv shows I loved watching Bernad watch. He is a good honest kid who use the powers of time manipulation kindly (e.g. when he took a paint can from a DIY shop, he still pay for it). I mean seriously if anyone of us got hold of that watch, we will not use the powers kindly (robbing, stealing etc).
The show ending fine until they reboot it with differenct cast and a new high tech watch...

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
The Demon Headmaster, and the Queens nose made my childhood (I always kept rubbing fifty pence pieces as a kid because of that programme).

Also, Aquilla, that shit was epic.

They really don't make them like they used to anymore. :/

Also, CITV had awesome programmes (Pokemon, Bernard's watch, Reboot ect) especially that its a mystery with Neil Buchanan. I remember One story was about a woman who found faces in her floor tiles, and when they digged the tiles up they found two dead bodies (It's a true story as well apparently). I couldn't sleep well for weeks after that (You would never see that kind of stuff on a kids programme nowadays, pure nightmare fuel).

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Most of the things I watched really. Woof! was terribly shit, a kid who (for some reason) would turn into a dog and then turn back bollock naked so hijinks would ensure. Anyone tried watching kids tv recently? It's seriously the worst, like that shit Chowder or Ben 10.

A great show though was the Batman animated series from the nineties.