British Politician Calls Lack of Tax Breaks "Madness"

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
British Politician Calls Lack of Tax Breaks "Madness"

Ed Balls, an MP for the Labour Party, has weighed in on the lack of tax incentives for UK developers in the wake of the troubles faced by Realtime Worlds.

Earlier this week, Scottish developer Realtime Worlds went into administration, putting hundreds of jobs at risk in the city of Dundee. Labour leader candidate Balls believes this situation could been avoided had the new Liberal Democrat/Conservative coalition not scrapped the proposed tax breaks for the industry.

Writing on his blog [http://www.edballs4labour.org/blog/?p=801], he said that the coalition was putting the videogame industry in Scotland at risk, and that Realtime Worlds could just be the beginning unless the government rethought its stance. He said the problems facing RTW were a "stark consequence" of a government that made cuts without thinking about the impact that it might have, and seemed to consider unemployment a fair price to pay. The videogame industry had contributed around a billion pounds to the British economy last year, he added, but there was serious competition from countries like Canada who were trying to entice companies to relocate. He advocated a much more long-term effort to reduce the deficit faced by the UK, where smaller budget cuts went hand in hand with investment in jobs.

I'm not a politician or an economist, but I must admit, this trying to spin the problems at RTW into a failing for the Coalition government seems a little opportunistic on Balls' part. While it's true that the lack of tax incentives do present an obstacle for the UK's videogame industry, to say that it's the reason that RTW is in trouble right now seems rather disingenuous. By all accounts, the reason that RTW is having problems is that it spent a lot of money making a game that no one really bought, and no amount of tax incentives will have prevented that.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30023/UK_Politician_Ed_Balls_Calls_Lack_Of_Game_Industry_Support_Madness.php]

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
LordCuthberton said:
Oh Ed Balls.

There's a reason you and your party are not in power anymore.
But there's also a reason we didn't really elect David Cameron in the first place..

OT: There's something awful about this Goverment, it's dragging down a few of our industries. But then again I'm just a little shrimp in an ocean..

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
Oh Ed Balls.

Agreed.

Although if his party had made this Budget, There would be an opposing member saying the exact same thing.

Politicians don't argue because they believe it. They argue because they have nothing else to do.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
Oh Ed Balls.

Theres also a reason why listening to a word he says is a bad idea.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
TerribleAssassin said:
But there's also a reason we didn't really elect David Cameron in the first place..
307 seats say another story.
307 isn't the magic number, now is it? Frankly given that Brown was leading Labour in a death spiral, the Conservatives ought to have sailed in. That they didn't speaks volumes. Mind, I voted Liberal; regretting it now.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Mr. Balls. Until you change your surname, it does not matter if we share an opinion or not, I am merely going to laugh at you.

Immature, perhaps, but at least my surname isn't Balls.

Feb 13, 2008
Balls is the Shadow Education Secretary. British Education did SO well under Labour...

And honestly...Ed Balls...*pfffft* Finbarr Saunders would have a field day.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
LordCuthberton said:
TerribleAssassin said:
307 seats say another story.
Dang, you and your maturity is no match for my adolescence and minimal understanding of politics..

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Regardless of whether this would have saved RTW or not (read: doubtful), the Coalition's idea of just cutting everything is ridiculous. The Lib Dems have really screwed themselves (and their voters) over by going along with this.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Hmm. I dunno who this guy even is, so off to Google I go.

...This guy has some fairly exploitable pictures on image search. Hmm....

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Frequen-Z said:
Mr. Balls. Until you change your surname, it does not matter if we share an opinion or not, I am merely going to laugh at you.

Immature, perhaps, but at least my surname isn't Balls.
Yes, i have to agree here. Not only he is a politican, but also has a surname like that. Could anyone possibly believe anything he says? I mean, with that kind of surname, his lack of trustworthiness is just too damn obvious.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
No amount of spin is going to win Labour any supporters at this moment in time, we've only just got shot of the incompetent sods. Admittedly having Cameron and his enormous, never-moving forehead partially in charge isn't much better, but it's the lesser of two evils.