British Politician Calls Lack of Tax Breaks "Madness"

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I do think it is stupid...I mean, if they offered them Canada wouldnt be stealing them all away

juliett_lima

May 12, 2009
i agree that the statement does seem a bit opportunistic - labour do seem to be graspng at all the straws.

little upsetting that the opposition party are reduced to throwing their toys out of the pram at everything rather than sensibility.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Yeah, Realtime Worlds obviously just needed tax breaks! There's no way that releasing a poorly realized game that was a convoluted mish-mash of half-baked ideas that cost them everything could have had anything to do with it!

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Sigh. If he wanted to be taken seriously on this issue he could have much more easily said that the lack of the tax break will harm future investment into the video game industry in Britain because of the enormous amounts of money involved in making a game mean that they want to minimise any and all other expenditures. If he really wanted to put RTW in there all he would have had to say was that the chances of the development house being replaced by a new one is significantly lessened due to it being cheaper for the companies to go to Canada.

All politicians are more closely related to gibbons intellectually it seems than they are to you or I. And this is regardless of the colour of their socks.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Chrono212 said:
I had to watch the Emergency Budget...live...and take notes

At which my boss at the time promptly asks "If it's a successful part of the economy, why does it need tax breaks?"
My thoughts on reading this were "If an otherwise perfectly healthy industry needs a targeted tax cut in order to survive, there must be something horribly wrong with your current tax code."

I do not discount this as an actual possibility.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
Chrono212 said:
I had to watch the Emergency Budget...live...and take notes

At which my boss at the time promptly asks "If it's a successful part of the economy, why does it need tax breaks?"
My thoughts on reading this were "If an otherwise perfectly healthy industry needs a targeted tax cut in order to survive, there must be something horribly wrong with your current tax code."

I do not discount this as an actual possibility.
Then how would the bedroom programmers (yes, they do still exist) be able to break out of the indie market and into the mainstream with crippling tax requirements?
As I have also stated before, the tax breaks are also to encourage existing games businesses to come the UK in order to employ citizens from here and play local tax and contribute to the local economy.

It is not that the industry is failing, it's to encourage new UK based games businesses, growth in existing games companies and also encourage international businesses to the UK.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Chrono212 said:
Then how would the bedroom programmers (yes, they do still exist) be able to break out of the indie market and into the mainstream with crippling tax requirements?
As I have also stated before, the tax breaks are also to encourage existing games businesses to come the UK in order to employ citizens from here and play local tax and contribute to the local economy.

It is not that the industry is failing, it's to encourage new UK based games businesses, growth in existing games companies and also encourage international businesses to the UK.
As I said, if you need specific exemptions in the tax code for the UK to be an attractive option for international businesses, then maybe your tax and labor laws need some rethinking.

Aug 25, 2009
Man oh man, it's so nice to see the sixteen year olds of Britain weighing in with this.

For my part, I think the Conservatives are the worst fucking thing to ever happen to this country, and maybe if you spoke to someone who lived through the Thatcher years when their income was a litle less than the total income of Switzerland you might have an idea about what's coming next.

As for this issue, Ed Balls is a slimy git of a man who has no business being in any sort of power, and should have been booted from the Labour Party years ago, and it is not at all surprising to me that he is trying to use this as a way of gaining back some public support for his party.

On the other hand, he probably has a point, no matter how much the right wingers don't want to accept it, had they allowed Tax Breaks, this company might not have gone under. Or they might have, we just don't know, but the fact of the matter is that the entire world went through a recession, and the Conservatives used hyperbole to make the public believe it was entirely the Labour Party's fault we weren't out of it, and now they are going to either:

A. Blame all failures of their new budget on the infrastructure left by Labour, no matter how correct this assignment of blame may be

B. Take all credit for successes, if the success outweighs the failure, even if it was the surviving infrastructure or the Liberal Democrat concessions which helped us out.

All politicians are cunts, but the Conservatives are the worst of the bunch. I leave this statement to round out my hatred of them:

'If you're not a liberal when you're 20, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative when you're 40, you have no head'

I'd rather have no head than no heart, but as far as I'm concerned the whole lot of you can fuck right off.

Searlero

Sep 22, 2009
It is a shame that tax breaks can't be offered at the moment, but if other companies can't be offered loans or tax breaks, why should the games industry be any different? The cuts, yes hurting now are for the better in the long term. Its worth noting that labours cuts would have been twice as bad, but 12 months later.

The Labour party are spouting this kind of crap as it is there duty to oppose Tory Party for opposition sake.

Searleski

Aug 14, 2009
The_Emperor said:
Lib Dems "A BUNNY FOR EVERY CHILD!, A GUARANTEED UNIVERSITY PLACEMENT FOR EVERY SCHOOL LEAVER AND A MILLION POUNDS FOR EVERY BABY! WE WILL ALL LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!"
That reminds so much of the two Davids on Spitting Image (David Owen - Leader of the SDP, David Steel - Leader of the Liberal Party).

David Steel: David, how do we know we won't break our promises when we are in Government?
David Owen: Simple David, we won't get into Government.

mambodog

Jul 8, 2009
When's someone gonna make the fucking 300 joke? I just read three pages of this crap and.. nothing.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Balls is the Shadow Education Secretary.
I know what that means but seriously... Shadow Ministers? That sounds eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil. Like, that sounds like they sit around in dark rooms with long conference tables and with ominous music playing on the background.

SHADOW POWER!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2008
Unknower said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Balls is the Shadow Education Secretary.
I know what that means but seriously... Shadow Ministers? That sounds eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil. Like, that sounds like they sit around in dark rooms with long conference tables and with ominous music playing on the background.

SHADOW POWER!!!!!!!!
And that would be cool. I'd vote for them.

What they actually do is run around like Scouts yelling "NEED AN ELECTION HERE" for four bloody years.