British sniper kills 2 insurgents from a mile and half away

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
technology = rifles, scopes, binoculars and even distance/windspeed calculators.
simple maths wont cut it i think, but i could be wrong, as im not a sniper.

my main concern is parading a sniper for the longest shot, i don't think a long shot
is what makes a great sniper, for me its about how long he camped that spot, and what is
his kill count.

Wiki Simo Häyä:
killed 500 Russians by camping 3 months in snow, how did he do it? with an old fashioned rifle and iron sights (no scope). Now tell me THATS not impressive sniping.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
You would keep dying at spawn and start to scream into the mic because you don't see anyone.
But you do hear tea sipping and the occasional, "Good show lad!"

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Tekkawarrior said:
Skill is required that's not up for discussion,

However,

1) Technology is available
-so this is really not that impressive-
2) No visible muzzle flash
3) No shot sound
-Will allow plenty of trial and error shots-

i mean kudos to the shooter, but that doesn't make him the best sniper.
To your first point, technology is available that makes the shot possible, but the sniper is still required to make the shot said tech might describe. The tiniest vibration at the barrel at that range could easily be the difference between hitting the target and missing by a dozen yards.

To your second, the weapon produces a visible muzzle flash - distance alone would have hidden it.

To the third, the reason they would not have heard the shots is because both targets were beyond caring by the time the sound reached them. Light rifle fire noise carries quite a distance in Afghanistan, much less the thunderous voice of god that is an anti-material rifle.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Man, I thought I was good for killing a helicopter pilot in BC2.
Very impressive feat, shame he had both his arms broken a few weeks later.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
danielsharpe1634 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Daveman said:
I'm pretty sure this was posted already,
Jiraiya72 said:
Pretty sure this was posted already.
Kruxxor said:
Sure this was posted already.
The irony is beautiful.
Thank you, I thought of doing that myself before i found yours
It made me chuckle alright. Also, people need to realise that the search bar function isn't always reliable on the site.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Davey Woo said:
What actually happened there was he tried dual wielding some 1887 shotguns and got a nasty surprise.

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
To your first point, technology is available that makes the shot possible, but the sniper is still required to make the shot said tech might describe. The tiniest vibration at the barrel at that range could easily be the difference between hitting the target and missing by a dozen yards. I agree, that's why i said "Skill is required that's not up for discussion"

To your second, the weapon produces a visible muzzle flash - distance alone would have hidden it.

To the third, the reason they would not have heard the shots is because both targets were beyond caring by the time the sound reached them. Light rifle fire noise carries quite a distance in Afghanistan, much less the thunderous voice of god that is an anti-material rifle.
1) I agree, that's why i said "Skill is required that's not up for discussion"
2) I also agree, that's what i meant
3) I doubt that very much, but could be possible

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
It really sucks that his arms broke after, but wow... I know absolutely nothing about guns but that's really far.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Davey Woo said:
What actually happened there was he tried dual wielding some 1887 shotguns and got a nasty surprise.
Haha!

In the article it says he was using an AWP
Can't help but imagine any nearby terrorists were screaming "OMGWTFSPAWNCAMPINGAWPNOOB"

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Tekkawarrior said:

However,

3) No shot sound

You're forgetting the fact he is most likely one of the best shooters in the UK to begin with. To even make it as a military sniper speciailist you have to be outstanding.

And as others have pointed out, there was no trial and error. This guy is an outstanding shot

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008

"I'm great. You're dead. I think were done here."

Even with all the technology he had... this kind of feat is still amazing, most targeting assist stuff is only optimal up to three quarters of a mile... so at that distance it probably wouldn't help that much.

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
Kortney said:
Tekkawarrior said:

However,

3) No shot sound

You're forgetting the fact he is most likely one of the best shooters in the UK to begin with. To even make it as a military sniper speciailist you have to be outstanding.

And as others have pointed out, there was no trial and error. This guy is an outstanding shot
just read some more about the shot, i have to say i am now impressed, the guy did it with an AWM using conventional ammo, i take it back, i am impressed indeed.

no trial and error my ass: "Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot ?on target? was a killing shot.[7]"