British students A-Level Results.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
JemJar said:
JanatUrlich said:
I AM SHITTING MYSELF

I probably should've revised
I wish you the best of luck. I know it's hard to stay calm but I hope you can get some sleep tonight.

Either you'll be celebrating or commiserating but do your best to keep a brave face for your colleagues - the hardest thing on results day is over-achieving and trying to work out how to talk to someone who has done badly.
Oh lol don't worry I'll sleep like a rock XD

And I'm usually a massive under-achiever so I don't really have that problem. WHY DO MY TEACHERS PREDICT ME STRAIGHT A'S? DO THEY KNOW ME AT ALL?

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
i get my AS results tomorrow, it's basically the difference between applying to Hull uni and applying to cambridge

MightyMouse

Dec 24, 2007
H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Holy shit this is big, it determines whether or not I get into fucking Oxford.
Honestly in a few years that'll matter less than you think [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF2o_G8jvLk]. Don't stress - it shrinks the brain.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
JanatUrlich said:
JemJar said:
JanatUrlich said:
I AM SHITTING MYSELF

I probably should've revised
I wish you the best of luck. I know it's hard to stay calm but I hope you can get some sleep tonight.

Either you'll be celebrating or commiserating but do your best to keep a brave face for your colleagues - the hardest thing on results day is over-achieving and trying to work out how to talk to someone who has done badly.
Oh lol don't worry I'll sleep like a rock XD

And I'm usually a massive under-achiever so I don't really have that problem. WHY DO MY TEACHERS PREDICT ME STRAIGHT A'S? DO THEY KNOW ME AT ALL?
So basically you're either a decent worker who struggles to revise and/or can't handle the exam pressure or you're a genius who'll wing it at the last minute.

Being in the latter group myself I'd recommend learning a work ethic before it's too late...

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
BOOYAH!

I'm strangely composed about it all at the moment. I'm sure that will all change by tomorrow. Either way, I'll be off to the pub after wards to celebrate, or drown my sorrows :D

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

[small]Not that luck had anything to do with it, and even if it did then its about 2 months too late to be wishing people luck...[/small]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I did my A2s last year, got three Bs with doing almost no revision. (Politics, Philosophy and English Literature if anyone's interested).

If you don't beat me, you shoulda worked harder ;) Good luck to everyone getting their results.

and even if it did then its about 2 months too late to be wishing people luck...
Don't question Lady Luck, for she works in mysterious ways.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
JemJar said:
So basically you're either a decent worker who struggles to revise and/or can't handle the exam pressure or you're a genius who'll wing it at the last minute.

Being in the latter group myself I'd recommend learning a work ethic before it's too late...
It's already far too late for me D= I've never revised for anything in my life and I will never be able to get over this laziness D=

Jurassic Rob

Mar 27, 2009
I think if I had done that when I got my A levels, I would have died of anticipation. They were pretty good grades, but my stress levels were though the roof from when I did the exams to picking up the results!

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
D_987 said:
Thanks for reminding me...

I know I've failed everything
Don't be silly, we all feel that way when we've got a results day looming! You'll be fine, I'm sure!

I was bricking it when my results day came, but it actually turned out OK! I got 2 Bs and a C, went to university and graduated with a 2:2 in Communications, Media & Popular Music last month (not to mention the phone number of a cute lecturer!), so I'm sure all you Escapist brainiacs will be fine. Good Luck!

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I'm not as worried now as i thought i would be, but i will probably be a nervous wreck tomorrow.

I have a funny gut feeling that I'll get 4's B's and i'll go to my second choice Uni, Liverpool.
I need to get lucky with one A Grade to get to Lancaster.

Hope everyone gets the grades they want!

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
purplegothchick said:
(not to mention the phone number of a cute lecturer!)
wow. I would totally date a lecturer. I mean they have to be set for life in that career path right?

"Where do you want to on holiday this year dear?"
"Jamaica?"
"Jamaica it is. By the way how is the job hunt going?"
"ooooh, not good I'm afraid."
"Oh well never mind. Get set for Jamaica!"
"I fucking love you money. I mean honey."

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
EchetusXe said:
purplegothchick said:
(not to mention the phone number of a cute lecturer!)
wow. I would totally date a lecturer. I mean they have to be set for life in that career path right?

"Where do you want to on holiday this year dear?"
"Jamaica?"
"Jamaica it is. By the way how is the job hunt going?"
"ooooh, not good I'm afraid."
"Oh well never mind. Get set for Jamaica!"
"I fucking love you money. I mean honey."
Well there is that, but he's mainly just really cute! I don't really care about money, not a priority, he's just smart, funny and gorgeous! And while there's not actually anything going on with us, he has asked me to go and see the stage show, Quadrophenia, with him...Things are looking up!

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
Ah, the wonders of unconditional placement (sat A-levels a few years ago, applied to uni this year after dropping out 2 years ago).

To those panicking:

If you get rejected from your choicest of universities, don't fret. I only got into Nottingham first time around (to study Biochemistry) - so that was 1/6 institutions. I dropped out (I really, really suck at maths so the degree-level physics screwed me over).

I re-applied through the Ucas system just over a year later (dropped out mid-way through the year, so about 1.5 years) having spent the time working. Admittedly it was for a different course (Classics) but it was to Universities who were better in Classical academia than Nottingham was for Biochem. I got into 4/5 institutions (I'm off to Birmingham).

It appears that a lot of universities appreciate those with a little "life experience" (particularly as you can apply very early and you're a 'guaranteed pay-check'). If things don't work out then they might next time around, even without trying to improve your qualifications.

You can also get some really good placements on clearing - particularly if there are courses that haven't been able to make up enough numbers. Less likely this year with the amount of extra applicants to Uni places, but there are some gems if you get on the system early enough.

And at the end of the day University isn't everything - I've a friend who went into Insurance Underwriting straight out of college, and she's just passed some exams (qualified as an underwriter) and is now on £20,000-£30,000 a year (depending on where she goes from here). If she moves to London she is potentially looking at adding an extra zero onto that figure. That's while my friends are just starting 3rd Year at uni.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
no thanks... I don't want to know what they are to begin with, to have them read to me by a stranger... *shiver*

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
Aw man I wish you had posted this before Scottish people got their results, that would have been a laugh to do! Good luck you all :)