Brits Prepare for EMP Blasts, Solar Flares

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Brits Prepare for EMP Blasts, Solar Flares

The threat of a massive solar event or a weaponized EMP is very real.

An electromagnetic pulse or EMP has been a staple of science fiction stories and terrorist dramatizations like 24 for a while. The effects of an EMP would destroy any electronic circuitry and render most of the devices we depend upon useless, as well as disrupt electricity delivery necessary for the population's access to fresh water, heating, cooling and lighting systems. While extreme natural occurrences such as solar flares might produce an EMP, modern societies must also be prepared for a malicious attack using nuclear explosions that creates EMPs. The British government is not taking these risks lightly, and is planning for such contingencies.

In 1859, a major solar storm known as the Carrington event occurred. English astronomer Richard Christopher Carrington saw a large bright spot on the Sun and a few days later as the wave of energy hit the Earth and knocked out the most advanced technology of the era - the telegraph. Telegraph workers reported disruption of services, some even being shocked through the equipment and telegraph paper spontaneously igniting into flame.

"The risk of severe space weather is fully recognized by the Government. It has published its initial assessment of the likelihood and likely impact of a Carrington-magnitude event in the National Risk Register of civil emergencies," read the United Kingdom Parliament's response to a report on EMP preparedness [http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmdfence/1925/192504.htm] from the House of Commons Defense Committee.

"Depending on the magnitude of the event, the current assessment is that severe space weather would be expected to have moderate to significant effects upon a range of technologies and infrastructure, including communications systems, electronic circuits and power grids," the report continued.

The use of a nuclear bomb detonated in the atmosphere would have a similar effect to space weather, and the British government recognizes that threat as well. States which have nuclear capabilities are the clear threat, but the Brits acknowledge a crude EMP device could be built using public knowledge. "There is evidence of the proliferation of the technology, which may have already led to its acquisition by countries and/or non-state actors of concern to the UK; for example, some open source information is available on the internet."

With EMP blast seen as a possibility, the question then becomes how to prevent or mitigate the dangers. The UK already concentrates on stopping nuclear attacks - by employing MI6 agents with a license to kill, of course - and advances in predicting space weather will aid in dealing with solar flares. But there is some debate whether the cost in shielding electronics through hard metal shells is cost effective.

"It would not be cost-effective to harden civilian infrastructure unnecessarily. In some larger and diffuse structures, hardening one part of a system may simply transfer the vulnerability to another area," read the report. "Hardening should be undertaken in a way that is cost-effective and appropriate to both the infrastructure and the risk in question."

The plan, then, is to concentrate EMP shielding on vital military targets, and to communicate with civilian infrastructure organizations like National Grid on how to respond to an EMP.

Even after reading through this report, I don't really feel that much safer. Do you?

Source: Parliament.uk [http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmdfence/1925/192504.htm]

(Image from NASA [http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/6965217409/sizes/m/in/photostream/])

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
England... fuck yeah?

Doesn't sound right.

Anyway, this is indeed a scary prospect, but I'm glad people are thinking ahead.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
In 1859, a major solar storm known as the Carrington event occurred. English astronomer Richard Christopher Carrington saw a large bright spot on the Sun and a few days later as the wave of energy hit the Earth and knocked out the most advanced technology of the era - the telegraph. Telegraph workers reported disruption of services, some even being shocked through the equipment and telegraph paper spontaneously igniting into flame.
Sir,

What a simply extraordinary story. Indeed it sounds like something from the splendid speculative fictions of Mr. H.G. Wells.

I would like to think that gentlemen of science, in top hats and steam powered space rockets, took appropriate steps to prevent such an event from recurring. That is certainly what Her Majesty's Government should do now.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Please. A Tory-run goverment? Taking steps to help people? Best comedy I've seen in months. Sereoiusly though, I hope it wont be too bad.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So our government is fully prepared for solar flare, but a bit of snow still sends the entire country into chaos? Only in Britain could this be possible

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
The Artificially Prolonged said:
So our government is fully prepared for solar flare, but a bit of snow still sends the entire country into chaos? Only in Britain could this be possible
Shhh don't spoil the 'making mountain out of molehill so we can get off work/pad the news' party. It's become a national past time by now. We know it's stupid but damn it all if it's not fun.

CHRIIIIIS

Jan 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure the snow just sends my Facebook news feed into chaos...

("OMG IT'S SNOWING!", etc.)

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Charli said:
Shhh don't spoil the 'making mountain out of molehill so we can get off work/pad the news' party. It's become a national past time by now. We know it's stupid but damn it all if it's not fun.
Actually, solar flares are a legitimate threat, we've just been dodging bullets since we hit the electronic revolution. If a major flare were to hit, conservative estimates say that it'd take a good decade before we recovered, since ALL ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS would basically surge with power for the duration of the storm, blowing out not only all our transformers, but anything with an integrated circuit board would cease to function entirely. That means unless your computer runs on vacuum tubes, it'd be fried.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Sixcess said:
Sir,

What a simply extraordinary story. Indeed it sounds like something from the splendid speculative fictions of Mr. H.G. Wells.

I would like to think that gentlemen of science, in top hats and steam powered space rockets, took appropriate steps to prevent such an event from recurring. That is certainly what Her Majesty's Government should do now.
Actually, the flare did happen. Most telegraph offices reported that their electrical equipment either exploded or simply melted, starting fires. The auras that the flare created were so bright that workers as far south as Colorado woke up, thinking it was dawn. We're talking about billions of charged particles suddenly hitting the earth, and charged particles look for good conductors to latch onto, like power grids and electronic devices. If another one hit, conservative estimates put our recovery time to about ten years before we get power back to most regions.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Rainboq said:
Charli said:
Actually, solar flares are a legitimate threat, we've just been dodging bullets since we hit the electronic revolution. If a major flare were to hit, conservative estimates say that it'd take a good decade before we recovered, since ALL ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS would basically surge with power for the duration of the storm, blowing out not only all our transformers, but anything with an integrated circuit board would cease to function entirely. That means unless your computer runs on vacuum tubes, it'd be fried.
Thanks now im scared.
*sits in corner out of fear*

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Why does no one remember the EMP from a solar flare that struck Quebec in 1989? While it wasn't an extreme case, it definitely cause a hell of a lot of havoc- it tripped 5 lines and essentially prevented 17 percent of Quebecers from having any electricity for 9+ hours.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
oh my God, WE'RE ALL GO--

*looks at ad pop up*

ooo, look, Diablo 3

=O

meh, I'll be fine, wutevs

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
ruthaford_jive said:
No, not really. Though I live in the US, but the possibility is just as much. Then again, I doubt there's much we can do against all the strange kinds of shit that can hit us from space. I suppose we can try to do what we can to protect ourselves without taking it out of hand (which they will do) and just accept that we live in a dangerous universe.
If I could figure out how to get off the grid, I could harden the house I'm living in.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
antipunt said:
meh, I'll be fine, wutevs
Pray tell?
Solar flares aren't just limited to the UK you know... nor are EMP attacks.
---------
Well, if we're attacked, we're fucked anyway, but if it's a solar flare at least it seems we'll have some warning...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Interesting read.