Bronies Get the Cracked Treatment

psyk

Dec 25, 2008
"I never understood how liking childrens' cartoons makes you a paedophile. That's one of those things that never quite clicked with me. I'm sure I enjoy the same food as a serial killer. Doesn't make me a murderer by default."

It doesn't, immersing yourself in to a lifestyle that is going be mainly the ground of little kids is pretty shady though and parents should be curious if there kids are talking to any of these people.

"Seriously, if a 20 year old guy started playing with barbies, what would be your first impression of him?

I doubt it would be "oh what a well adjusted human being, he is simply exploring his feminine side!" "

Indeed

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
Snoozer said:
predatorpulse7 said:
Omg. Another guy stumbling in not knowing a thing. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=253634 this should explain the fandom, believe me it's not what you think it is. Please inform yourself before running to conclusions.
What I think it is? I just think it's WEIRD. Simple as that. Sure, some bronies could be gays/pedophiles or whatever they're accused of but I don't think about those things. I just think that we are talking about 20 year old males(or older) watching shows made for 7 year old girls, as the producer says. The fact that she was surprised by this following should pretty much spell that out for you. Obviously she has embraced it since MORE MONEY is to be made from it(bigger fanbase) but her initial reaction should tell you everything about it since it's the normal way anyone would react.

Bronies are a phenomenon(or fad however you wanna call it) because of the internet. In a world without instant communication, being a 20 year old man that collects miniature ponies from a girly cartoon show would make you look weird, if not outright shunned. And I doubt you would make your hobby public. But today you can find others that share your hobby and suddenly you have a online community and all is well, since there are others are just like you. And this is the mechanism for a lot of "alternative" communities.

I find it sad that I have to make a effort to "get" why a grown man likes to watch shows about ponies designed for pre-pubescent girls. But I guess I'm not just hip enough to get it. Or I'm probably insecure about my masculinity. Yeah, that would explain it. LAWL.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Hold up a tic and let me get this straight. The Bronies, the ones who have been rationally and calmly discussing issues brought their way are meant to be the immature and childish ones. Yet the "haters", the ones that are frothing at the mouth and seem to be unable to not click on a link about a topic they supposedly despise (and in dire need of a headfromarseectomy judging by the snobbish tone of their posts) are meant to be the cool heads of rationality and reason?

psyk

Dec 25, 2008
Please say you aren't talking about that team liquid link?

the one that is supposed to make people understand why nearlly fully GROWN men are watching
"shows about ponies designed for pre-pubescent girls." becasue it does a bad job of it, I'm guessing the following were supposed to be the game changers

"What is it about this show that appeals to people? Well for one it's written by Lauren Faust, who helped produce the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, both series which have certain acclaim. The characters are surprisingly complex and well developed for a kids show, and the art has genuine charm that evokes older cartoon series. The art and music are great and the show is simply... addicting. Its almost impossible to capture with words, so I present a song that might give you and idea of what the atmosphere is like (also check out the very first recommended post, in the spoiler at the bottom of the page, it goes into detail about what is so appealing about the show)

The show is both heartwarming and entertaining. Don't believe me? Watch the recommended episodes, then come back. No one who has followed through and actually given the show a fair chance has ever come back to berate me. For anyone who wants to watch here is episode 7, which is one of the better starting points."

Right the following is just............... no words can describe it

"You can find inherent goodness in something that wasn't directed towards you. If you found nothing at all in MLP:FiM, you did not give it a chance. If you really did give it an objective chance and found nothing of value, you may need to reconsider your values. The packaging may be girly, but the message is universal."

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
He is talking about the forum topic of course. The TL link was about an general overview and the links on the bottom, not for you quoting it together to represent your point of view. It's pretty mich like reading two different things.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Whatever, you can like what you want to like, and you can ignore what you want to ignore. I haven't seen any MLP, so I have no opinion of it myself. I think it might be a little silly for men to love a show about animated ponies, but I freely admit that's an unfair opinion based in bias. Fact is, there are fans of everything, and they'll always have their own quirks. If you don't like it, don't pay attention.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
MianusIzBleeding said:
A Satanic Panda said:
MianusIzBleeding said:
NOTHING...I repeat...NOTHING...Can be too hard on bronies.

Even a hammer across the face isn't hard enough......

Never before has a fad pissed me off as much as My Little Pony

Now if this was a Spiderman thread..........

Because why type when this wonderful gif express my thought perfectly, LETS PARTY!
This ^^ is the reason I hate bronies.......
Can't go on ANY forum without stupid gifs and pictures plastered around like gaudy fucking wallpaper.....
I'm not a brony, but you can't exactly ***** on that one considering you essentially invited it. That said, image spamming is more common on anonymous websites like 4chan, or more elitist websites like facepunch. I don't see why you'd need to complain about it on the escapist, unless you're just hopping on the hater bandwagon. And the majority of image spamming I've seen is usually retaliation to whiny cunts bitching about bronies, so it's your own fault.

But you're banned, so you have no idea I'm saying this :D

psyk

Dec 25, 2008
@Snoozer

yeah that was a misread on my part but still the thread is called "Bronies Get the Cracked Treatment" why would people not click the link, cracked being a comedy site and the article in question taking the piss out of bronies not supporting them.

"But you're banned, so you have no idea I'm saying this :D"
I'm pretty sure the escapist is an open fourm

Walter44

Apr 24, 2011
Thyunda said:
Walter44 said:
Thyunda said:
Walter44 said:
(rather than, for example, a Pony winning a flying competition by breaking the sound barrier and creating a rainbow-colored sonic boom)
Forgive me for targeting one specific line, but what?
What? There is an episode where one of the ponies, Rainbow Dash, partakes in the "Best Young Fliers Competition" and wins, because she rescued another pony by accelerating to Mach 5 (or something. There's a Brony who calculated it afterwards for a Physics presentation) and thereby creating the so-called "Sonic Rainboom". Which is a Sonic Boom colored like a rainbow.
Can I retract my comment about it being drivel and substitute it with a bemused expression and a half-uttered exclamation of puzzlement?
Of course you can. Like already said, it's a common reaction. Maybe you'd like to watch the scene with soem extra-awesomeness in the form of Guiles' Theme [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjkM_y-Wps] (Disclaimer: The link leads to a fan-made video using a scene from the show "My Little Pony: Freindship is Magic". If you're not interested in seeing it, don't click it and move on.)

@ReinWeisserRitter: I have found out about the show after seeing a comic referencing it on memebase. I went to KYm to find out more. I read about how lots of people enjoy it (again, this was in April) and also how Lauren Faust, who was also working on the Powerpuff Girls, one of my favorite cartoons ever, was responsible. So I watched the first episode. I immediately liked it and caught up with the then 22 episodes in like 3 days. Yeah, in a way the fandom influenced me in giving it a shot, but not because I wanted to belong to them (by that point, basically all I knew about the Bronies was that they exist), but because the notion that so many people like it (in comparison to other people, I actually have faith in people, you know) reassured me that it was enjoyable. And I enjoyed it and still do. And if the Bronies wouldn't like the show, they wouldn't watch the episodes, at least not as much as is needed to discuss about the chronology of the episodes, or how Equestrian economy or even plumbing works (I have read the strangest things while surfing through Brony-Communities). Why is it so hard to accept that there are people who can enjoy something even though it is not specifically made for them? WHY?

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Walter44 said:
Just want to say a few things. First off, I love your avatar. Oddworld was the shit back in the day (And still is, if it actually comes out for xbox T-T). Second, I had the same way of getting into MLP. First it was just wondering why everyone here had a pony avatar. Then I was seeing them appear at memebase.com still wondering what the huge big deal was. Note, I didn't mind at all I was just really surprise about all this.

Anyways, to continue my story, I decide to watch a few scenes and I like it. Then I started to watch the episode and love it. It reminds me SO much of the old 90's shows that I can't help but to like.

Lastly about your question why someone can't let other enjoy it? Because they just can't accept it. If they don't like it then everyone has to hate it. Look at all the fanboys on this sight who flip shit over the stupidest thing.

KrabbiPatty

Jan 16, 2008
Whew boy, I step out for a while and the anti-bronies come out in force!

I especially love that Bahumat guy, who, whiling insulting others for "messing up" the English language, proceeds to make not one but SEVERAL mistakes in his own post.

Consistency? What's that!?

Lol, see, I'm not a very nice, happy go lucky individual like most of the other Bronies (with all that "love and tolerate" stuff, which is cute, but not internet-proof) so allow ME to call it like I see it:

I don't think this has to do with anyone's misplaced concepts of masculinity. Quite the opposite, most of these people who constantly rail against bronies are too petulant and childish to even understand what masculine gender dynamics would LOOK like; plus their, hehe, "scathing" insults (like "Go to the REALWORLD, which I spelled as one word because screw you grammar!") scream anything BUT macho to me.

What I do see however, is this concept of what is and isn't for "little girls" and frequent mentions of how its "a kid's cartoon" and "about friendship" and therefore not deep and engrossing enough for big strong grown ups--and there we have it, now don't we. This is about very childish people trying to reinforce their perceived adulthood by lashing out at things they consider to be childish or kiddy. And the impotent flailings just get worse every time.

This isn't about these people hating bronies, we're just the most obvious target because we watch a TV show ostensibly directed towards young children, which also happens to be a meme-factory for adults. This isn't even about that, this is about SOME PEOPLE trying to look big and grown up when they aren't. If I had to guess, I'd figure a lot of the resentment comes from this perceived notion that ANYTHING ostensibly for children MUST be solely for children and that any adult who is part of that group must, in some way, be defective because obviously all adults want to be big strong grown ups and not little kids, right? RIGHT!??

I find it both refreshing and insightful that Cracked was far more genteel and realistic, if still satirical, in their assessment of it than many anti-bronies. They handled it in an adult manner, actually with adult concepts like exploring why, precisely, the fanbase exists. Far more adult than the anti-bronies, who just scream at the top of their lungs like, ironically, the petulant children they're so eager to distance themselves from. Which is doubly ironic when you consider just how childish that desire is, and really quite overcompensatory. That must be embarrassing, getting out-grown uped by a website that runs on fart jokes and Back To the Future references. And frankly, anti-bronies, I'm embarrassed for you even if you're not...

You're not, by the way, looking very grown up. Barging into threads you CLAIM you have no interest in, insulting people for no logical reason, and then openly declaring your hatred for an entire group of people based on their enjoyment of a TV show is not adult...that's a lot of things (bigoted, stupid, infantile, etc) but not a sign of emotional or mental maturity. And the question, why come here, to threads like this, if you hate them so much is a valid one that you people brush off with incredulity. The answer of course--assuming you function with any logical at all, which is perhaps me just being too naive--is that you do it because you believe it is the grown up thing to do: to lash out at childishness and hate that which you associate with childhood, so that you may prove to the other grown ups how damn grown up you are, like some tribal rite of passage.

So if I may offer some advice to those who hate people like me, unsolicited advice but its still free advice so go for it, since MLP is too "childish" for you I would like to quote one of the most famous and well known fantasy authors of the 20th century:

?Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.?

That's C.S. Lewis, by the way. Not that you'll care because Narnia (the multibillion dollar multimedia empire) is far too kiddy a series for big strong grown up peoples like you!

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Ah, confirmation bias, the chief reason that so much sexist exists within the field of evolutionary psychology.

Speaking of sexism, I've personally never been too fond of Cracked. Not only does it seem like a super-popular, trying-to-be-as-mainstream-as-possible variety site, there seems to be a lot of sexist messages out of there.

Though it was inevitable that they would eventually pick up on it. ... I guess the publicity is kinda cool..?

Anyway, it's the kind of popularity of things like this that actually help give me faith in humanity and the internet in general. We needed more honest colour and pastel and cute outside of Asian culture communities. And look what happened. More Chuck Norris jokes? Nope. My Little Pony and Nyancat. I am proud.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Carsus Tyrell said:
Hold up a tic and let me get this straight. The Bronies, the ones who have been rationally and calmly discussing issues brought their way are meant to be the immature and childish ones. Yet the "haters", the ones that are frothing at the mouth and seem to be unable to not click on a link about a topic they supposedly despise (and in dire need of a headfromarseectomy judging by the snobbish tone of their posts) are meant to be the cool heads of rationality and reason?

you sir hit the nail right on the head. People who call others immature for what they like when the other side is being rational and evidently mature obviously haven't taken a deep breath and looked at the stuff they type BEFORE posting.

I call it the Fox News effect :3

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
It's bias, people will ignore and oftentimes purposely circumvent logic that doesn't suit their agenda.

Look at the flamewars over on G4 about Skyward Sword versus Skyrim. People are calling Zelda inferior "kiddy games", their fans a bunch of sad manchildren, and calling them immature. While they're still spamming the Assassin's Creed match with anti-Zelda posts, telling everyone how angry there are over an internet vote, and how everyone should vote for Assassin's Creed so they don't lose to a "girly fag" like "Zelda"(see: Link).

I know a lot of my fellow bronies are computer gamers, wRPG, FPS, TF2, and so forth fans, possibly primarily. But I see a lot of parallels, being a huge Nintendo fangirl myself. Detractors always seem to go with the "it's too cute", "it's for kids", "people who like it need to grow up", "it's not gritty and realistic enough", and so on and so forth.

I really think that more Pony fans and Nintendo fans should overlap. We have so much in common.

L9OBL

Jul 20, 2009
It's Cracked it's what they do, So I can't say I'm pissed well that and even if it wasn't cracked I'd still love and tolerate the shit out of them but it seems a little more serious and docile than usual. Maybe they're worming up for Seanbaby or gladstone? Would like to read that. The last bit about "the meme will pass as these young men discover the vast superiority of human females" though annoyed me cause it kinda isn't true(I'm not trying to berate women Celestia knows I love me some women lol) But that was quite a low blow for them and in all reallty when we "discover the vast superiority of human females" most of us will convert these "human females". The only thing better than girls or ponies are girls and ponies together. NOW QUIT YOUR CLOPPING!

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
lithium.jelly said:
Thyunda said:
You don't like the show. You've become the show. While I think Trekkies take it a little bit too far sometimes, and I don't get their jokes, I can understand why you'd get into a franchise as big as that. THAT, at least, is the target audience. You guys are getting off over a story about FRIENDSHIP. I'm not sure how hard I have to hit these nails for you to understand. They are happy little horses who are struggling to understand friendship. This is morality for kids. You should not be entertained by this drivel. Good God.
Aww. Somepony needs a hug. He also needs to learn to ignore threads that aren't going to interest him.
The crazy thing is that he probably came into here thinking HEY ITS A CRACKED ARTICLE LETS FIND OUT HOW THEY BASH THE BRONIES. So his post isn't out of place. Hell do you know what you do when someone who obviously doesn't like what you like posts in a thread about it? You don't quote them and bash them back by saying somePONY instead of somebody. What you did actually pisses me off greatly and I don't hate bronies. Hell one of my best friends is a brony I just don't find the show that interesting.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Melon Hunter said:
Hang on... what? Respond to what the other person is saying, not what you think they're saying? That's what I'm trying to do, here. If you think I haven't responded properly, then perhaps you need to clarify your own opinions in future. All I'm going on is what you've posted.
And again, I never said anyone does likes the show to annoy anyone else, but you implied I did, several times.

So no, you're you weren't entirely responding only to what I said.

Melon Hunter said:
As for the hypocrisy statement, you claimed I didn't and couldn't know how many people enjoyed the show for its own merits, and yet in the very post I quoted back, you said you could count those people on one hand, suggesting you had a better handle on the reasons why people watch the show. I will accept I cannot know why every last person who watches the show does so, but to call me out for that and then have that flippant remark on your own post is hypocrisy.
...As you cheerfully demonstrate here.

I didn't say I could. I said I bet I could. Speculative. It's also very obviously hyperbole, dramatic exaggeration, to emphasize my point (though I frankly wouldn't be surprised if I could). Because it's obviously an extremely sensitive subject to you, you ended up taking it way too freaking seriously, and continue to. I recommend you do not; regardless of whether what I say or what you say is true, it's a fricking television show.

Melon Hunter said:
If your annoyance is directed at the evangelists of the fanbase, then I would counter that every moderate fan shares that opinion. I like the show, but not to the point of beating people over the head with it. I would suggest in future it is a far better option simply not to get involved. After all, while I realise your frustration at this small group of people, what good is it to jump into a thread where everyone is trying to be cordial and proclaim your hatred, where it has no real relevance to the matter at hand?
'Cause I felt like it. Venting made me feel better.

And it has as much relevance as anything else on the subject. Something else that irritates me are people that whine at any sort of criticism on a subject they like, saying it's not relevant, simply because they can't handle that someone disapproves of it - even if the criticism is completely reasonable and adds something to the discussion other than fountains of memes, animated .gifs, and hate speech. So I shall politely disregard your suggestion in the future, thanks.

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
Belated said:
What's more eerie, is the quote they use under that picture of some grinning guy. Those picture quote-captions are something Cracked articles use frequently, but the quotes are always supposed to be hilarious and unrealistic. Yet, the truth is a lot of us would actually say something like that. I know I would. What does it say about us when an attempt at parodying our dialect is hardly a parody at all? I don't know. And I don't care. I'm still a "Fluttershy all the way."
The best satire is indistinguishable from reality, sir.