Browncoats Drive New Firefly Lego Set Toward Production - UPDATED

Stikibunn

Apr 27, 2009
Tiswas said:
This report cropped up around the same time as elsewhere a report came up for a Legend of Zelda Lego set also hitting the 10,000 votes.

doubt lego will do that either... (although it's a helluva lot more marketable than firefly)
Firefly was given a straight out "no we're not doing this" Zelda has gotten a "Maybe" a maybe is better then a no

Captain Ninja

May 9, 2009
Does some one have a link to the actual website where you can support it? I can't even find the set on the site.

Edit: Never mind I found it

DJ Jack

Nov 18, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
markljlewis said:
Surprise surprise Lego said No....

LEGO produces toys for children. Therefore all LEGO products, regardless of age target, must be content-appropriate for this core audience. With this in mind we have decided that as cool as the Serenity model is, the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11. While we know this news will disappoint those who supported the project, we will not be producing this as a LEGO product.
Clearly these people did not watch Star Wars. Or Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Batman. Or the Indiana Jones movies. Or Lord of the Rings.
I don't really think it is a matter of 'adult content' but rather children's interest in the subject matter. Firefly is a show with an awesome concept that is still hard for many adults to understand. Like my ex for instance... (cue "she don't like firefly" :p) Shameless plug for an awesome music video aside, if some adults can't comprehend what is essentially cowboys in space I can understand how most kids would find themselves scratching their heads. Themes like Batman, Indy and Pirates are easier for kids because they 'get' the whole good versus evil shtick that is centered at middle of each respective story. Not to mention, many of themes are a lot easier for Lego to sell because they have released pirates, castles and mummies before.

Either way, I think another big part of it has to do with the whole licensing issue. Disney has control over most of those brands, so I can imagine they can *ahem* encourage LEGO to look past the violence.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
SurfPenguin said:
Oh, good lord! Could the nerd world PLEASE do me a big favor and shut the f**k up about Firefly/Serenity? Seriously! It ran for 11 episodes TEN YEARS AGO! Give it a rest!
Ill say this politely on behalf of the Nerd world...

... Nope.

Also: this is all manner of badass.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I've not touched any Lego for years, but if this thing can pull a Crazy Ivan, I'm sold.

Edit:

I've just read on the actual page.
LEGO produces toys for children. Therefore all LEGO products, regardless of age target, must be content-appropriate for this core audience. With this in mind we have decided that as cool as the Serenity model is, the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11. While we know this news will disappoint those who supported the project, we will not be producing this as a LEGO product.
So. It's not happening.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Ah well. Even if I can't buy it, I guess I'll have to try and recreate it with my own LEGO and see how that turns out... :)

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
How do these people have energy to cling on for... what's it been, ten years now?
For me it comes in bursts. Every couple of months I have the urge to watch something and I pull out Firefly or Serenity again. Then I get really excited and obscessed like I use to for a month or two. There are lulls in between, but it keeps the support coming.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Zhukov said:
How do these people have energy to cling on for... what's it been, ten years now?
Wow, impressive, Its rare that I encounter a first post that actually perfectly summed up my sentiments. And yes, just shy of a decade now. Sept 02-Dec 02. 3 months, 14 episodes.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
Caffiene said:
Im interested what exactly is so bad in Firefly that is worse than the "pulling a beating heart out a man" that was in The Temple of Doom...

But mostly Im just interested to have found the Cuusoo site. Im not as big a lego nerd as some people, but thats pretty cool.

edit:

Stikibunn said:
Has anything from Cuusoo actually been accepted by Lego yet?
From the site, it looks like theres 3 cuusoo products. Minecraft, Hayabusa, and Shinkai.
Supposedly Legend of Zelda and My Little Pony are looking likely right now too.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
People! Stop liking the things that you like!

Just give it another 10 years and it will be acceptable to like Firefly again, but only if you show that you like it by smugly comparing it to everything modern. It will make you look mature and well-informed.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Just to give everyone a clear understanding, hitting the threshold on CUUSOO does not mean a set is being made, yet. It means Lego is willing to take a look at it, and if everything checks out will consider making a special kit of it.

This will be the 8th suggested Lego set to have reached the Threshold on CUUSOO (with an 9th looming). of them here is the breakdown. (and keep in mind, of those 9, all but the first 4 have hit the threshold within the past few days, and so are just entering the review stage)

1. Shinkai deep water exploration model, a real world submarine. Lego produced a limited run kit that released in Japan.

2. Hayabusa, the Japanese deep space probe. A real world real space subject. Lego produced a limited run kit, mainly released in Japan, but with some worldwide release.

3. Minecraft, this one we all know about here. Lego produced a special run of a Lego Minecraft set that will see some fairly wide release. Pre orders are now available. This was done through arrangements with Notch who was extremely flattered by the whole thing.

4. Sean of the Dead, the Winchester, would have been a truly beautiful adult "modular" set. Unfortunately after review Lego determined that the R rated nature of the source material was not appropaiate for their normal set guidelines. They will not be producing this kit. (at least not officially, although word is they all loved it. They just couldn't release it as a Lego product)

5. Eve Online "Rifter", This one just passed the threshold of 10k and is up for review. It will be interesting to see how far it gets. It is a licensed subject, but I can't see an Eve ship being a hard or expensive one to get. So the question will be is it viable as a product. To close to call whether Lego will make one.

6. Back to the Future sets, Delorean Time Machines from 1980's, 1950's, 1880,s and future. This one just passed the threshold last week and is up for review. The biggest hurdle it faces will be the licensing. I am sure this is a series of sets that Lego would love to make if they can get the license at an affordable rate. If the studio wants too much it will not happen.

7. Legend of Zelda sets, this idea also just crossed 10k. My suspicion is this is never ever gonna happen. Once again Licensing is king, and Nintendo is horrid about licenses. At best we may see one small special limited release set with a few figs and a backdrop, but I wouldn't count on that. Add to this that Lego's competitors have some dealings and licenses already with Nintendo for Mariokart and yeah, this ain't gonna happen.

8. Firefly, SIGH! I would love to see this set made, but my gut feeling is it ain't gonna happen. A combination of three factors. It is a licensed property, from a license holder that has a history of rabidly protecting it yet not doing anything with it. So a high or expensive hurdle there, problem 2 is the nature of the source material or its content. While not technically R rated, it does tend to dance on the more adult side of PG13. While not a show stopper in and of itself, it does put a damper on things when you factor in licensing costs, and finally we come to the elephant in the room, the age and limited nature of the property. 13 episodes, 10 years out and a less than successful movie. This is not a marketing guys dream project. Overall I think it adds up to a very slim chance of this being made.

9. Modular western town, this one has not yet crossed the threshold for review, but hopefully will this week. http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/1787 It's a great example of the sort of thing that Lego WILL make into a kit. No outside license, wholly creator owned design, complex adult appeal but no true adult content or nature. This one will go all the way to store shelves.

So the short answer for those not wanting to read, I'm betting the Firefly set is not going to happen.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
ritchards said:
I think the only time it hit the number on Cuusoo, but didn't get made, was the recent Shaun of the Dead, which was declined for not being young kid friendly... any Reavers in this set?
This is what I'm worried about too. LEGO's target demo is the 7-14 range. While the upper portion of that range is probably old enough to appreciate Firefly, I don't see it as appealing to the majority of the target demo. While I'd love to see this become a reality (hell, I'd be first in line to have one), I'm not gonna get excited just yet.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
faefrost said:
5. Eve Online "Rifter", This one just passed the threshold of 10k and is up for review. It will be interesting to see how far it gets. It is a licensed subject, but I can't see an Eve ship being a hard or expensive one to get. So the question will be is it viable as a product. To close to call whether Lego will make one.
A lego set based on the world's most sociopathic MMO? As hilarious as it would be I don't see it ever happening.

OT: I'm kind of reassured to see them not going for the post-modern/ironic/geek audience here.

Mind you I have a great idea now: DOOM LEGO! (lord knows the original game levels looked like they were made of the stuff...)

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
LEGO produces toys for children. Therefore all LEGO products, regardless of age target, must be content-appropriate for this core audience. With this in mind we have decided that as cool as the Serenity model is, the Firefly TV show and Serenity film contain content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11.
Wait, what?

So they would consider movies like The Lord of the Rings to be suitable viewing for 6-11 year olds? Because they've made LEGO playsets out of those franchises.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Caffiene said:
Im interested what exactly is so bad in Firefly that is worse than the "pulling a beating heart out a man" that was in The Temple of Doom...
Honestly?

Firefly Ep. 1 said:
Simon: I don't understand.
Zoe: You've never heard of Reavers?
Simon: Well, campfire stories of men gone savage on the edge of space, killing and?
Zoe: They're not stories.
Simon: What happens if they board us?
Zoe: If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh and sew our skins into their clothing. And if we're very very lucky, they'll do it in that order.