Brownmark Sues South Park Over "What What (In the Butt)" Parody

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Irridium said:
They're idiots. On Tosh.0 Samwell said he was asked by the creators of South Park for his song. If his general excitement during the show was anything to go by, I'm pretty sure he said yes.
Wow, really? That's... really sad actually.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I've actually never heard either song, and judging by the title I don't think I want to, but from what I hear it's just him saying the exact same thing as in the real song... that doesn't sound like a parody to me.

But I mean... come on... it's South Park. And this guy is from YouTube. You know, if it weren't for South Park, no one would have heard it anyway. It's like suing your own commercial for using your likeness...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
I might understand if it was a recent episode, but it's been three years. Honestly, the case should be thrown out for sheer lateness.

Oilerfan92

Mar 5, 2010
It frustrates me when otherwise ignored and irrelevant people who get made relevant by someone parodying or whatever their material and then turn around and sue them as if they never wanted to be known.

Its like, if I did a video song, and South Park came along and did a parody of it and suddenly people know me, why would I SUE them ?

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
So... basically, he's suing over a parody... which helped spread his own video... three years after it was done. No doubt, this is going to be a regular win for Brownmark.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
I don't understand.

The original creator of "What What in the Butt" was asked by Trey and Matt if they could use it, where he said yes. He even said as much on his interview on Tosh.0

'The fuck is this? :/

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
From what I understand, Samwell (the guy who made the song) was fine with the parody, but the Youtube production company whom he did the video with may not have been asked permission. Makes sense, who ever thinks of professional production companies on Youtube? (Not being sarcastic, I really didn't know there were Youtube production companies)

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Aside from the whole thing being unbelievably stupid, I'd like to see how it plays out, particularly if the defense is that it is a parody or fair use.

As far as damages... please tell me this stupid video isn't worth any more than a few dollars.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
Quite right too... if the vid belonged to these guys then they have every right to sue.

The industry itself got these laws put in place, now they'll just have to accept that they can no longer get away with just taking stuff the way they used to.

It's their fault, serves them right, let them stew.
Samwell (The guy who made the video) said he was contacted by South Park and gave them permission to use it in their episode.
So no, not quite right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=938pOlZncRg
There's the link, it's around 2:20ish.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Large media companies have been going on copyright witch hunts for over a decade now while shamelessly ripping off and even watermarking viral content produced by the masses. About time the masses started striking back.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Aren't parodies protected under some silly law that I don't know the name of? You know, the reason why Weird Al hasn't gotten into the shit storm of the century.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Copyright applies to any work the instant it is created. "Filing copyright" just means documenting where and when so that you can later help prove you have copyright. So yes, if you scribble a monkey on a napkin, you have copyright over that napkin monkey. Everything else is just proving it.

With this, if Samwell didn't own the rights to the video, then he's not authorized to give permission. Otherwise, it's like you buying my car from me, and then me telling my neighbor, "Sure! You can borrow "my" car!"

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Wait a minute... someone is suing Viacom for copyright infringement?!

Am I in Soviet Russia?

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
This won't go through, the law is clearly on South Park's side since it's a parody. Not to mention this is an extremely obvious attempt to cash in on the Inception mistake since this parody was made three freakin' years ago. If the creators of 'What What' seriously thought this was copyright infringement, they would have made their move years ago.