Bubsy's back. No, just no.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
LunarRepublic said:
I gotta be honest, the first thought that popped in my head was "Yay, we're gonna get a new JonTron video!'.
♫ I would watch any video on Youtube!
Yes, I would watch any video on Youtube!
I would watch any video on Youtube...
...but I won't watch that!
♫

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
All I can say that hasn't been said already is, with the bar for Bubsy games set as low as it is, imagine how everyone will react if this game actually turns out to be good, or even ok.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
bluegate said:
So, what's everyone's problem with Bubsy?
Assuming this is an earnest question: Bubsy was one of the earlier examples of trying to follow the leader without understanding just why it was the leader. He had almost zero personality, spouted repetitive, annoying quips, his game had terrible controls and boring level design... it was an assembly of the worst parts of mascot platformer games. The 3D sequel was an even more glaring example of everything that was wrong with early attempts to bring that genre into the next console generation.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
bluegate said:
So, what's everyone's problem with Bubsy? 😕
Annoying character with games ranging from mediocre to terrible! Bubsy 3D is considered as one of the worst games of history (3D platformer with over-cumbersome tank controls, unmanageable camera, bad level design and constant one-liners).

I rented the first game as a kid, and I didn't enjoy it. One-hit deaths, unfair difficulty (mainly because Bubsy's speed didn't allow to react to enemies and obstacles) and loose controls. It's a shame, because from the age of the countless forgettable platformer mascots, Bubsy is one of the few that stands out.

How the heck he does that!?

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
To all those asking "why" (or, more accurately, "WHYYYYY?????"), the answer is simple: remakes are hard.
Let's say that Raymond Feist decides he could use a swimming pool filled with money and agrees to let someone make Betrayal at Krondor 2 (or 3, I suppose, if you count Return). That someone has a very difficult task in front of them: make the game too different, and people complain and refuse to buy it. Make it too similar, and people complain and refuse to buy it. Add in too many elements of modern sensibility (obnoxious simplification, not having a fucking manual, QTEs, controls centered around an input device with fewer buttons than a Hawaiian language keyboard, etc.), and people complain and refuse to buy it. Take out too many elements of 90's sensibility (lack of tooltips, a GUI that requires you to have the manual open until you memorize everything, resolution options actually intended for human eye instead of the reptilian alien one, etc.), and people complain and refuse to buy it. Pick a good enough target, and eventually, name recognition becomes a liability. Pick a good enough target that reached that quality by improving on existing standards, and it becomes a liability even faster- this is why an X-Com remake is in for a rough ride, regardless of how good it is, but no one in their right mind is going to make the next Jagged Alliance.

By contrast, if you remake something crappy, no one's going to care if it sucks. Consider 2008's Death Race, a remake of 1975's Death Race 2000. Death Race 2000 was not a good movie, so no one complained when it got remade, despite the remake's total lack of charm, camp value, and nudity. It was worse than the original, but the original was bad, so it wasn't hard to improve on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Recusant said:
By contrast, if you remake something crappy, no one's going to care if it sucks. Consider 2008's Death Race, a remake of 1975's Death Race 2000. Death Race 2000 was not a good movie, so no one complained when it got remade, despite the remake's total lack of charm, camp value, and nudity. It was worse than the original, but the original was bad, so it wasn't hard to improve on.
The difference being that Death Race (2008) was at least entertaining, and probably the only live action version of Twisted Metal we are ever going to get. Which is funny, because the 2012 version of Twisted Metal took inspiration from the Death Race remake.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Made by the people who brought back the Giana Sisters, the people that never know when it's time to stop and let things die.

Majestic_Manatee

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2017
Country
Wales
CoCage said:
The difference being that Death Race (2008) was at least entertaining, and probably the only live action version of Twisted Metal we are ever going to get. Which is funny, because the 2012 version of Twisted Metal took inspiration from the Death Race remake.
Death Race (2008) was so videogames. Not sure how it would've been better with nudity to be honest. It was entertaining.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What are you people talking about? Bubsy already made his grand slam comeback with Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Your Creator said:
CoCage said:
Death Race (2008) was so videogames. Not sure how it would've been better with nudity to be honest. It was entertaining.
Exactly. I don't have much of an attachment to the original, but it's nice to see one watch of the movie, if you have never seen the original. Any nudity in the remake would have been seen as forced. I don't mind they did not go that route.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I'm one of the few people in the world who actually kinda liked Bubsy though I sucked at it, and liked Bubsy 2 even more (mostly because I could at least suck at different levels with the stage select). It certainly wasn't great and will never make it in my lists of top ten anythings, but I do find the game had some charms, but it seems a horribly odd choice to revive, and yeah this remake (and it does look just like a remake) seems terrible. I mean it's the epitome of polishing a turd.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Okay why? Did we really need this? And is this a case of morbid curiosity/nostalgia? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's not always a good thing...

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
We live in a universe where Bubsy gets a second chance and games like Ristar or Aero the Acrobat remain dead

God is dead, and memes killed him

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
This is the downside of turning nostalgia into an industry. Sooner or later they'll reboot everything.