BUG OUT BAGS

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
You Americans are fucking paranoid nut-bags. Seriously. What even.
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires, and most of the US is prone to various kinds of natural disasters, including hurricanes, floods, tornado, fires, etc.

Nothing really paranoid about having some stuff prepared in the event that you need to abandon your house for a while.
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires, and most of the US is prone to various kinds of natural disasters,
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires,
wildfires
Dude, I live in Australia. That's like one of the defining features of our country.

But seriously, I'll pay the others. It's just that something about the term bug out bag makes me think of crazy middle-aged white men with assault rifles.
I think most people have assault rifles to stand against the more dangerous lunatics with firearms, or at least have some kind of self-defense should society stumble for a little while. A rifle I can understand for hunting and signalling, but an assault rifle is just that - for assaulting.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
In the event of the apocalypse, I am prepared to scream like a baby until a powerful wasteland warlord shows up and give me food and shelter in exchange for sexual favors.

But seriously, no I don't. I have most of this kind of stuff lying about the house, but I guess in the event of an emergency I'll just hope it isn't urgent enough to demand I leave the house before I get some stuff together X3. I'm not really concerned, I live in a pretty safe place in an embarasingly wealthy country...

Sansha said:
I think most people have assault rifles to stand against the more dangerous lunatics with firearms, or at least have some kind of self-defense should society stumble for a little while. A rifle I can understand for hunting and signalling, but an assault rifle is just that - for assaulting.
Do you think there is a danger, by carrying that assault rifle as a precaution against lunatics with firearms, of becoming a lunatic with a firearm? I can't imagine what a bunch of scared, untrained people with guns would get up to under suitably dramatic circumstances!

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
This is the first time I've heard of "Bug out bags).

Thanks to dmase explaining what it is, the only two I can think of at the moment are my swiss army knife (eventhought parts of it are worn down like the scissor) and a bottle of water.
It is a good thins too have. Even FEMA Encurages people to have one. www.ready.gov

The more you know, the better off you are when a desaster hits.

PS, Pardon my spelling, I am using an 'in-game' web browser. no Spell cheak.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Sansha said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
You Americans are fucking paranoid nut-bags. Seriously. What even.
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires, and most of the US is prone to various kinds of natural disasters, including hurricanes, floods, tornado, fires, etc.

Nothing really paranoid about having some stuff prepared in the event that you need to abandon your house for a while.
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires, and most of the US is prone to various kinds of natural disasters,
I live in an area prone to earthquakes and wildfires,
wildfires
Dude, I live in Australia. That's like one of the defining features of our country.

But seriously, I'll pay the others. It's just that something about the term bug out bag makes me think of crazy middle-aged white men with assault rifles.
I think you may have misread what I was saying there.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No. Natural disasters do not happen here. There are no floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, ect. well there are hurricanes, but they are so small people arent evne told to be indoors, though some of them i saw during this winter can lift a person.
My house is built from the modern materials and have a fire alarm that os so sensitive that firemen get called at least once in two weeks because some idiot decided to smoke indoors.
The only way to see this being needed is a real apocalypse. well that or the Poles would actually start rioting however thats very unlikely as only a minority want an actual riot.
That being said, id rather have my important stuff spread out so that a possible burglar - a much higher probability than anything else - would have harder time finding stuff. Though if i need to run fast i can grab everything quite easily sans food for that while i coudl survive for weeks on end in my house on what i have, is not very portable to be eaten without any civilization.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's good if you live in an area with a high risk of natural disaster. So, for those living near the fault line in California, having a Bug Out Bag might be useful.

What would I have in my bug out bag?

1. Medical supplies - bandages, alcohol rubs, disinfectant, suturing kit, bandages, sterile gauze, needles, scissors, etc.
2. Loooooong lasting food. I'm talking about Hardtack biscuits, canned everything, vitamins, dried food, salted food - stuff that's going to last a long, long, long time. Don't have to even pack meat so long as I have Vit B12 and Iron tablets.
3. Maps of the area. Very important
4. Batteries. Oh god, batteries. I would fill my bag with so many batteries. Of all types and shapes and sizes (although obviously noting huge like a car battery)
5. A good knife. If I could get a gun to put in it, I would, but I can't and I don't have any need to own a gun. If society was falling apart, having a gun would be a really good thing.
6. Water. Distilled. Would still need to be changed every now and then.
7. A good book.
8. A change of boots and shoes.
9. A jacket
10. Something for starting fires.
11. An emergency radio.

That's about it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sansha said:
Excepting, of course, that very few people in the US actually have assault rifles.

Speaking of which, I've seen people say what guns they have, but not seen any actual survival guns mentioned. No .22 rifle (the AR-7 comes to mind, best known as being "that gun from From Russia With Love"), or combination .22 and shotgun.

Cap asks me what vegetarians eat. One of the answers is "Soylent Green", which would be correct if you're not a conspiracy theorist.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Beffudled Sheep said:
I don't have one but I have the materials stored in my room ready to be put into a bag if I were to need one.

I don't have much but here it goes:
Hatchet
Zippo Lighter
2 cans lighter fluid.
One metal canteen (don't remember what metal its made of)
A small knife (3 - 4 inch blade I think)
Bandages, medical tape, various other immediate first aid treatment items (haven't taken stock recently and I'm lazy)
Water purification tablets (chlorine based I think)
Flashlight (batteries of all types)
And some canned food of course.

Some other things I should probably pick up but I don't have much need to.

And I don't think its stupid or crazy to have such a thing. Even if it is unlikely a disaster could hit at any moment and being even somewhat prepared would leave you better off than being completely blindsided and super fucked.

Edit: Any experts out there wanna give me advice about what else I should add or if I should perhaps get rid of any of the above?
It's not stupid or crazy at all, especially if you live somewhere prone to natural disasters (like most of the US). Fortunately I live somewhere very safe, the worst we have to contend with is weather, and the odd hurricane, and the army taught me to deal with that stuff with very limited resources, so I don't have anything ready to go.

I'm not an expert, but I do have my survival training from the army. If your water purification tablets are chlorine based, you're going to want a larger water container than a canteen, or you might very well get sick. Preferrably 2 litres (half gallon) or larger. Some types of metal might also react with the chlorine and make the water poisonous. Extra flint and wick for the zippo, or simply a flint rock so you're not dependent on it at all. Alcohol for cleaning cuts and other wounds if you don't have it in your first aid things (medical alcohol of course, not vodka). MREs, freeze dried food rations like the army uses. They contain pretty much all nutrients you need (which most canned food does not) and it's lighter, so you can carry more. They also don't expire, and a few of them taste quite good. I would also recommend flares, if you should need to be visible from range. And at least 1 complete set of spare clothes.

Oct 2, 2012
Saregon said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
I don't have one but I have the materials stored in my room ready to be put into a bag if I were to need one.

I don't have much but here it goes:
Hatchet
Zippo Lighter
2 cans lighter fluid.
One metal canteen (don't remember what metal its made of)
A small knife (3 - 4 inch blade I think)
Bandages, medical tape, various other immediate first aid treatment items (haven't taken stock recently and I'm lazy)
Water purification tablets (chlorine based I think)
Flashlight (batteries of all types)
And some canned food of course.

Some other things I should probably pick up but I don't have much need to.

And I don't think its stupid or crazy to have such a thing. Even if it is unlikely a disaster could hit at any moment and being even somewhat prepared would leave you better off than being completely blindsided and super fucked.

Edit: Any experts out there wanna give me advice about what else I should add or if I should perhaps get rid of any of the above?
It's not stupid or crazy at all, especially if you live somewhere prone to natural disasters (like most of the US). Fortunately I live somewhere very safe, the worst we have to contend with is weather, and the odd hurricane, and the army taught me to deal with that stuff with very limited resources, so I don't have anything ready to go.

I'm not an expert, but I do have my survival training from the army. If your water purification tablets are chlorine based, you're going to want a larger water container than a canteen, or you might very well get sick. Preferrably 2 litres (half gallon) or larger. Some types of metal might also react with the chlorine and make the water poisonous. Extra flint and wick for the zippo, or simply a flint rock so you're not dependent on it at all. Alcohol for cleaning cuts and other wounds if you don't have it in your first aid things (medical alcohol of course, not vodka). MREs, freeze dried food rations like the army uses. They contain pretty much all nutrients you need (which most canned food does not) and it's lighter, so you can carry more. They also don't expire, and a few of them taste quite good. I would also recommend flares, if you should need to be visible from range. And at least 1 complete set of spare clothes.
Can't use the vodka for disinfecting? Good, means more to drink haha. Thanks for the advice. Most of this is just stuff that I've picked up over time and as I said in my post I don't even know everything that I have. I should probably get everything neat and tidy though so I know what else I need to pick up. Thanks for the recommendations.
Any advice about what I should do to protect myself from ticks and spider bites? I live in an area filled with poisonous spiders and ticks that carry lyme disease so I'm slightly paranoid about them.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
RevRaptor said:
Honestly the term bug out bag really makes people think of crazy survivalists types. A few of the posts here do nothing to disprove that. Seriously who in their right mind considers a pistol as a must have item during a natural disaster.
I want to agree with you, and honestly in a lot of places you might be fine without one (I doubt society would descend into utter chaos in my area of Canada for example), but with the stories that came out of New Orleans after Katrina one has to wonder how unreasonable a pistol would be. Not to mention, if one did end up having to survive in the wilderness for some reason with little food, a pistol might actually come in handy for killing small game. Much easier than trying to trap or hunt without a gun anyway. Not saying such a scenario is likely though.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Beffudled Sheep said:
Any advice about what I should do to protect myself from ticks and spider bites? I live in an area filled with poisonous spiders and ticks that carry lyme disease so I'm slightly paranoid about them.
We don't have dangerous spiders and such here, so we weren't taught about that. Don't they usually attempt to run away and only bite as a last resort? In which case I'd just recommend wearing something with long sleeves and gloves if you need to do things where they are a risk. In fact, long sleeved shirts and pants instead of shorts are effective against ticks as well (which we have here too). Also, proper boots (preferrably leather) are durable, and protect against the elements, as well as snakes and such. As for the ticks, it usually takes a bit of time for them to infect you, so as long as you check yourself every evening and morning for them, and remove any you have on you, you should be fine. And make sure you get all of it, as it's common for the head to stay attached.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
No bug out bag, but I do keep a lot of camping & backpacking gear in a handy place & we always have bottles of water & food that can be packed up real quick. It's all pretty normal stuff because we lose power & get snowed or flooded in quite often where I live. I'm planning on getting a new hammock tent that is very light weight & portable.

Oct 2, 2012
Saregon said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
We don't have dangerous spiders and such here, so we weren't taught about that. Don't they usually attempt to run away and only bite as a last resort? In which case I'd just recommend wearing something with long sleeves and gloves if you need to do things where they are a risk. In fact, long sleeved shirts and pants instead of shorts are effective against ticks as well (which we have here too). Also, proper boots (preferrably leather) are durable, and protect against the elements, as well as snakes and such. As for the ticks, it usually takes a bit of time for them to infect you, so as long as you check yourself every evening and morning for them, and remove any you have on you, you should be fine. And make sure you get all of it, as it's common for the head to stay attached.
I just looked up to the two more common poisonous/venomous spiders that live in my area and they are described as being mostly unaggressive and only bite when they feel threatened, or if they think your finger or toe is prey. But as a severe arachnophobe I have a tendency to flip my shit when I notice a spider near me, which may cause it to attack in self defense. Oh well.
Anyway thanks for the advice :)
I don't think I'll need to use it anytime soon but ya never know right?

And do you think I should bother in getting a gun and learning how to use it? I live in the U.S. in a place that can be best described as affluent hick and as much as I loathe using or falling prey to stereotypes guns are easily acquired here.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Building one atm. Lighters, food, water bottles, rope, flashlight, tarp, blanket, first aid kit, and ammo. I always carry my knife. Just have to grab my gun and bag to gtfo.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Beffudled Sheep said:
And do you think I should bother in getting a gun and learning how to use it? I live in the U.S. in a place that can be best described as affluent hick and as much as I loathe using or falling prey to stereotypes guns are easily acquired here.
Well, a shotgun or hunting rifle could be handy, as they can be used for hunting. I don't see a situation where an emergency pack (I don't really like the term bug out bag) would need to contain anything else. Assault rifles require more practice and are less useful for hunting, and pistols (except for the large caliber ones, which again requires lots of training) are completely useless for hunting. But generally, unless you're already thinking about hunting, I'd say you'd be better off with a fishing pole. Lighter to carry and pack, easy to use, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Oct 2, 2012
Saregon said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
Well, a shotgun or hunting rifle could be handy, as they can be used for hunting. I don't see a situation where an emergency pack (I don't really like the term bug out bag) would need to contain anything else. Assault rifles require more practice and are less useful for hunting, and pistols (except for the large caliber ones, which again requires lots of training) are completely useless for hunting. But generally, unless you're already thinking about hunting, I'd say you'd be better off with a fishing pole. Lighter to carry and pack, easy to use, and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Not really much fish around here sadly. A crap ton of pollution, draining and over recreational fishing made what few fish remain damn good at getting away. Everyone that fishes around here either comes back with nothing or they go on an hour - hour and a half drive to get to some decent fishing waters. I have a pole so I have it ready anyway just in case fish decide to start biting again.
In fact now that I think about it there aren't many sources of non-polluted freshwater around here. Its mostly polluted salt water I think.
I think I'd have better luck surviving in a zombie apocalypse in the middle of a heavily populated city then I would surviving after some sort of super disaster here.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Saregon said:
Assault rifles require more practice and are less useful for hunting,
And are not remotely easy to come by for civilians in the US.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Errm nope!

Wasnt even aware this was a thing.Fair idea I suppose, if you live in an area prone to natural disasters.

We don't get many of those in the UK however, unless you count the annual inch or so of winter snow that still somehow catches motherfuckers by surprise, and engenders nationwide worry.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Saregon said:
Assault rifles require more practice and are less useful for hunting,
And are not remotely easy to come by for civilians in the US.
I didn't say they were, I'm not American, so I'm not that familiar with the regulations there. And I was mostly referring to stuff like the AR-15, which is pretty much a semi-automatic M-16. While it's not fully automatic, it's still pretty much an assault rifle, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's also legal in many states.

Beffudled Sheep said:
Not really much fish around here sadly. A crap ton of pollution, draining and over recreational fishing made what few fish remain damn good at getting away. Everyone that fishes around here either comes back with nothing or they go on an hour - hour and a half drive to get to some decent fishing waters. I have a pole so I have it ready anyway just in case fish decide to start biting again.
In fact now that I think about it there aren't many sources of non-polluted freshwater around here. Its mostly polluted salt water I think.
I think I'd have better luck surviving in a zombie apocalypse in the middle of a heavily populated city then I would surviving after some sort of super disaster here.
That doesn't sound like a pleasant place to survive, so I'd say get a map also, and know how to get to somewhere with as clean as possible fresh water, preferrably a river (no need for it to be 100% clean though, that's what the purification tablets are for). Could also be an idea to have a set up for making salt water drinkable (lots of info on google, it's pretty easy). Having access to decently clean water should always be the #1 priority, as water is heavy, so it's limited how much you can carry.