Buggiest game you ever played?

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
Was just thinking about how I've barely encountered any bugs in Skyrim, but some people wont stop going on about them. I didn't think it was that bad, but it got me wondering...

What is the buggiest game you've ever played? (if it was indeed playable)

I can think of a few:
Boiling point: Road to hell (still managed to really enjoy it though :) memories of flying hyenas and vanishing cars...)
Silent hunter 4 and
Vampire: The Masquerade ? Bloodlines (again, still got to the end and had a lot of fun despite the MANY flaws...)

what about you? any good/bad bug stories?

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
Big Rigs: Over the road racing (18 wheels of thunder)

This game needs no introduction when it comes to hilarious bugs.

/thread

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDewUMGHXJY[/youtube]

If the video isn't loading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDewUMGHXJY

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Far Cry 2.

Any buggiest X ever thread, the answer is always Far Cry 2 and shall always be Far Cry 2.

It's the only game I know of that will corrupt your save and lose everything because you saved at 67% complete (how dare you! 67!?).

Not to mention the crashes because of too little RAM, too much RAM, instruction per clock being too high on your processor. Stuff just vanishing and never being seen again, un-completable missions. Entire installs corrupting overnight for reasons that Ubisoft never explained.

It's a bad, bad game.

ipslne

Oct 19, 2010
Had a few major bugs in LA Noir, particularly with car-train interaction. Quite often, trains and cars would merge on collision causing the car to be permanently stuck in the train. The first occurrence was within 15 minutes of playing. Ouch.

As for the buggiest game overall, the PS2 port of Grandia 2 was full of overworld bugs.

Oh, and Dwarf Fortress. Not buggy in any really bad ways... just... well... it's Dwarf Fortress. There are bugs. What?

EDIT: One specifically amusing (and super frustrating) bug in Dwarf Fortress; in one of the earlier releases, playing adventure mode, I was given the option to attack an Ooze that was not on the screen. Upon attacking it, I was dropped (or teleported I guess... since a drop that far would be instadeath) about 70 z-levels down into the caverns. I explored for a while. Became a legendary swimmer. Didn't find much to fight. Set a bunch of underground trees on fire. Got bored when I couldn't find my way out. Retired.

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
iFail69 said:
Big Rigs: Over the road racing (18 wheels of thunder)

This game needs no introduction when it comes to hilarious bugs.

/thread

If the video isn't loading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDewUMGHXJY
haha that's bad! how on earth did that get released...

Dec 14, 2009
Pre fan patch, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

There were bugs everywhere!

It's also one of my top 5 favourite games of all time.

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
Skyrim.

Ok, maybe not... Masquerade was probably the buggiest game that I've ever played. And that wasn't made completely playable even after the fanpatch.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Well, I was shouting very unkind things at Psychonauts last night, but I think New Vegas might win it out. Man that was buggy.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Guess I will third this one, man it was simultaneously buggy as hell but awesome enough to make me keep playing. Wish they had made more.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Uh, perhaps Alpha Protocol? Encountered many, many bugs and problems.

Though I still enjoyed the game.

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
Phishfood said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Guess I will third this one, man it was simultaneously buggy as hell but awesome enough to make me keep playing. Wish they had made more.
Yeah same here. Really great effort by the fan community to keep patching it themselves and keep the whole thing going for so long!
OniaPL said:
Uh, perhaps Alpha Protocol? Encountered many, many bugs and problems.

Though I still enjoyed the game.
Think a mate of mine never even got around to finishing it because he found it so bad. Seemed to be better for the console crowd I hear...

raklin

Mar 26, 2011
Honestly? I'd have to saw release day New Vegas... I cannot unsee some of what I saw there... e_e

After that, perhaps Two Worlds followed by a tie of Alpha Protocol, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and KoTOR 2. Note that I greatly enjoyed all those games asides from Two Worlds, which left me feeling murderous over wasted money and accidently supporting that developer.

Oh Obsidion, how you tease with me with such buggy games that i just can't quit QQ D:

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. It's notoriously buggy, even by Bethesda's standards. Stability varies not only between different computers, but also different installs on the same computer. You're bound to fall through the floor or experience a CTD at least once every few hours or so with the vanilla game.

Fortunately there have been a number of both official and fan patches that have helped address the issue. Even so, the game is still prone to wig out on you from time to time.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Almost certainly Fallout: New Vegas. I still love the game to pieces but goddamn, is it laggy. Even I have to admit that it can get downright unplayable at times.

StereoMike

Jul 13, 2010
Ultima IX. It was literally unplayable on most machines until a patch was released, and not just because of the absurd hardware requirements for the day. Say what you will about Bloodlines and New Vegas, but with those games you put the disc in the computer and played the game. Not so much with Ultima IX.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Reign of Fire the game on Gamecube, so buggy I couldn't move onto the 3rd level. It was also pretty difficult when the dragons landed underground and still attacked me where I couldn't hit 'em.

luke10123

Jan 9, 2010
SoranMBane said:
Almost certainly Fallout: New Vegas. I still love the game to pieces but goddamn, is it laggy. Even I have to admit that it can get downright unplayable at times.
Yeah found that too, got a pretty decent rig but if a lot of things happen onscreen at once it starts to run like I was playing it on a pocket calculator :p

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
STALKER. It's the buggiest and also the best shooter I have played.

However I'd also say universe at war: Earth assault, not so much much buggy as much as it was I couldn't get the damn thing working on my labtop.