Buggiest game you ever played?

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
For a while it was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CS but they patched it up pretty soon, but Fallout NV, shit
where ti I start, I bought it at launch after 1 hour wanted to brake the disc in half, gave it to a modding friend instead, bought it again recently from a bin to test it so I could figure out whether I want to buy the ultimate edition or not, as of right now I will not buy it. It is still buggy as hell, even more so then 3 and I can't understand how that can be.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Tin Man said:
Bethesda is a major company, the staffing probably goes into something like a thousand heads on projects they run, I refuse to believe that just because the companies have different names there isn't any overlap. Besides, publishers still have a responsibilty to make sure these things are functional. Being GOOD is down to the developers and designers, but being functional should be on the people who pay for the whole deal.
Obsidian isn't a subsidiary of Bethesda or affiliated in any way. Bethesda contacted them to make New Vegas, paid them a flat fee to do so, and that was the end of that. The reason Bethesda wanted them is Obsidian has a lot of guys from Interplay/Black Isle, who made the original Fallout games. Getting a bit off-topic, though.

OT: Another contender would be Pathologic for me, but I'm like 30 minutes in so we'll see how that goes. As many of the problems have to do with translation as crashing/bugging out.

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
Shinclone said:
No-one's going to mention Alpha Protocol? That was the first game I actually turned off and returned the same day I got it. Absolutley fucking awful, whoever gave the green-light for that to be released as it is needs shooting.

Boiling Point was buggy as hell but sill entertaining, never finished it though.

Vampire: Bloodlines is probably the second buggiest game I've ever played but it was just so damn good.

I've been quite lucky with Bethesda games, no real game-breaking bugs for me, just a few minor ones.
It was mentioned earlier

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Project Nemesis said:
Gothic 3 - Forsaken Gods...the entire game was a big f. bug (even after the million patches they released)...In the first 5 mins of gameplay I encountered 5-6 game breaking bugs...
To hell with this game! Gothic 1 and 2 are two of my fondest gamin' memories ever. I guess i had 9 playthroughs in Gothic 2, but i never played G3 more than an hour.

Every animal could stunlock you in your "got hit"-animation, which led to the situation, that 2 boars could eradicate the whole capital. And you got to know, that you could kill ANYONE in G3 even the questrelated guys iirc.

Armor just didn't work. Dunno, how such a bug could've "slipped" into the gold version of an rpg. Skills just didnt work or didnt work as they should. Some quests couldn't be finished or started. Sometimes NPC's were missing, sometimes people just hostiled you.
I wont even start on the graphic bugs, because they were as plenty as i've pixels on my screen.

Holy crap, even if you would multiply the bugs in BF3 with Skyrim you probably only would cover less than half the bugs of Gothic 3's release.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Cant remember that Bloodlines was as buggy as people say, it's been years and years since i played that game and all i remember was that some quests where bugged but thats all.

New Vegas on the other hand was a complete insult to all gamers that payed for it (and still is??) so that one wins hands down!

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Superman 64...

/thread

ok ok. I remember in the building level and flying outside the walls for a second then teleporting back inside the level. When I made superman land on the ground, he sank half way through the ground and I couldn't fly out of it. I could only run around.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone knows the nightmare that is this game.

More recent... Fallout New Vegas. Game froze a few times, textures popped like no tomorrow, and just weird shit with the physics. But I was still able to get about 120 hours out of it.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
I've played a lot of poorly optimized games. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a good example. Any PC port of any recent GTA game also applies. And Saints Row 2 (the PC port, again).

But, in terms of pure bugginess - you know, falling through the map, crazy physics, saves corrupting, bits of quests never triggering, etc...- it's a three way tie between Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim for me. I generally avoid bad games, and I'm sure there are much buggier games out there. But, for a AAA developer, Bethesda really needs to get its shit together. Amazingly enough, these are still good games despite the bugs. But, it's just unfathomable to me that they can release such broken products to such immense fanfare.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
The Simpsons Hit and Run holy crap there were so many glitches between going through the map, the game crashing, and having cars going rocketing into the air, everytime I played that game I was afraid of what would happen.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Pre fan patch, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

There were bugs everywhere!

It's also one of my top 5 favourite games of all time.
Would you mind linking it? I'm pretty isolated and have the game on steam, but never actually played it since... Well, it doesn't work. ;_;

And buggy... I don't know. I've not encountered many. First minutes of Mass Effect my Shepard's arms disconnected from his shoulders and flailed around comically?

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Any Bethesda game, its a triple A game series and they have to rely on Fan patches to fix Patches they made which made the game more broken.

Never experienced a problem with Unpatched Bethesda games, but damn do their patches brake their own games.

Dec 14, 2009
Spectral Dragon said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Pre fan patch, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

There were bugs everywhere!

It's also one of my top 5 favourite games of all time.
Would you mind linking it? I'm pretty isolated and have the game on steam, but never actually played it since... Well, it doesn't work. ;_;

And buggy... I don't know. I've not encountered many. First minutes of Mass Effect my Shepard's arms disconnected from his shoulders and flailed around comically?
Here you go.

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Vampire-the-Masquerade-Bloodlines-Patch.shtml

I can't remember how to install it, but there should be a read me in there somewhere.

Just remember to start a new game.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Skyrim, all my quest items don't load. The only way I worked my way through Sanguine's quest is because I bribed and intimidated everyone, which wasn't nearly as fun. So I've decided "Fuck it, shelved until I get a decent patch that lets me play the game without it freezing every time I enter Whiterun."

I either don't remember other really buggy games, or I haven't played them. I don't even remember Oblivion being this bad.

(Fallout 3 after I got the DLC was also pretty bad if memory serves)

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
For me this would be Master of Magic, an old school turn based strategy game. Now once you got the game actually running it wasn't super buggy (more on that in a moment) but getting there was a major chore. In order to run it on a contemporary computer I had to create a special boot disk and then run the game without sound (to this day I have no idea what the games battle effects and music sound like) or else it wouldn't play. Once you got into the game the most major bugs started off with multiple enchantments on the same thing where the game seemingly decided to just wing it with regards to what the effect would be. Also various effects seemed to drift in and out of effectiveness, i.e. on some play-throughs "Protection from Magic" actually protected whatever unit had it from practically everything on other play-throughs not so much. Also it seemed like the game designers and the people creating the design documentation weren't on speaking terms judging from the state of the manual.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
SunAge. T'was a real promising game, but shipped with more bugs and missing feautres than an Hornet's Nest.

It took NINE patches to sort most of it out, and even then I bet the game isn't 100% fixed still.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Body Harvest for N64

it was a pretty fun game, and was huge for an N64 title, but there were so many game breaking bugs that made it almost impossible to complete. This is to be expected though, being one of the early free wandering titles.

Worst one of all was a (fairly common) bug that would fail to register that an objective is complete, thus completely halting your progess. "Kill the harvester" ..... Harvester is already dead...FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Other N64 games seemed to have serious issues with falling out of the levels

Darren716 said:
The Simpsons Hit and Run holy crap there were so many glitches between going through the map, the game crashing, and having cars going rocketing into the air, everytime I played that game I was afraid of what would happen.
Yea that game was pretty fun but the bugs were terrible lmao

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is pretty broken without the fanmade patch, but it's still my favourite game ever.

I remember Gothic 3 having some really crazy bugs as well. And wolves that were deadlier than dragons and demons.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
out of actual games
I would say it would be a 3-way tie between skyrim and darkest faerie (yes I was a neopets fan in the past)and magicka

skyrim has tons of bugs most of which are "harmless" but halarios
the other game had me falling though maps constantly

magicka seems to have new bugs every time I launch it

if you count $5 pc games the I of the dragon wins by a landslide