Bulletstorm Dev's Canceled Project Way More Serious

Hazardlife

Jul 14, 2009
A game as atmospheric-looking at that was canceled for yet another meathead shooter game?
Great creative thinking there guys, because brainless violence and profanity is just so original in the gaming culture!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
That trailer alone looks about 30x better than the whole of what I've seen from Bulletstorm.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Zepren said:
"Unique sense of humour" - Low-brow, childish and aimed at an american audience.
Really just had to throw in the "american audience" dig, did you?

OT: Looks pretty cool concept art. I'm sure almost all of us came up with what the game would be like in our minds. For me, mixture of urban fantasy, horror and the Noir look. Featuring like a 1940s X-Files/Fringe Division. Lone agent, maybe lost his partner at the beginning which gives the motivation to continue on the case even though it looks like he's out of his league. Cash or points collected from killing or looting to upgrade what he has, and the ability to discover weaponry while continuing. Maybe there are single cell operating groups that also try and take down the creatures. He usually finds them dying or dead, and see what they have invented.

EBonhawk09

Nov 1, 2010
It looks like it could have been a very good concept. I hope they decide to go back to it at some point.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I think... hell I would have liked it, it looked awesome and had an awesome atmosphere... I dont know how survival horror-y it wouldve gotten, but I would much rather support this artsy looking game than Bulletstorm (even though I love bulletstorm)

wait a second though, why is it that Bulletstorm hasnt gotten any flak for its content yet? usually this is the kind of thing the media would jump on, what with the whole shooting a guy in the ass hole and lighting him on fire

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
FallenTraveler said:
wait a second though, why is it that Bulletstorm hasnt gotten any flak for its content yet? usually this is the kind of thing the media would jump on, what with the whole shooting a guy in the ass hole and lighting him on fire
Because it's obviously over the top that it can't possibly be considered realistic? That, and the media only jumps at games close or after it's released.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
Jumplion said:
That looks very interesting, though it was probably for the best. Still, I hope they come back to it, it's got a sort of Film Noir style to it, like L.A. Noir.
Yea i thought that maybe they didn't want to compete and be compared to L.A. Noire, but.....that's not exactly a crowded market..I would easily give up bulletstorm for a game like this. Even though there is no gameplay it just has class and a distinct style with an air of maturity. I wish they made this instead...
hansari said:
Epic games probably laughed at them when they brought up the possiblity of doing a serious mature game. A couple of "listen brah" later set them straight. That and the fact that they wouldn't get any funding.
Hahaha that is probably exactly what happened. "Listen brah i don't know about all that gay detective stuff but check out this game. You can put a bomb in a dude's ass!" Bulletstorm seems like good fun and the level design is magnificent but its not my type of humor. Seem's immature in a bad way, to appeal to a younger fanbase.
Anyone ever see that game ubisoft canceled? The awesome sci-fi one?

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
People May Fly will hopefully have some strong backing in the future for projects like this. I'm sure that Bulletstorm will be great, and since reading that article about it I've been excited about getting my hands on it (about a month left!), but People May fly seems to be the company that I'd trust to make a strong horror game, why? Because they're creative

They spend the time to make unique weapons, even the generic stuff has originality, like there's a 4-barrel shotgun that fires air in Bulletstorm, and an assult rifle that fires a 100 bullet-fused shot, in Painkiller they had a gun that shoots shuriken and lightning, and enemies in the game were all unique, nothing felt like copy pasted, changed colors of earlier enemies (WoW...I love you, but you're very guilty of this :p)

Hopefully Bulletstorm does well and gets People May Fly up on the map as a serious company, and Epic funds any projects they want to do, including this, because those graphics don't look like they were from that time, maybe future game coming up? We can only dream

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
"I'd much rather throw hundreds of foes onto cacti and wing them around with an electric whip than visit that boarded-up house anyway."

Then gamers expect to be taken seriously. "We're mature! Games are art!" then we go and chainsaw old ladies in GTA IV to let off those repressed sociopath tendencies brought on by a combination of a lack of parental approval and 2 bottles of Mountain Dew in our system.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Delusibeta said:
FallenTraveler said:
Because it's obviously over the top that it can't possibly be considered realistic? That, and the media only jumps at games close or after it's released.
oh yeah, youre right (about the close to or after release thing) well come release it'll be funny

SplashyAxis

May 1, 2010
The video reminded me of Condemned quite a bit actually, but with a noir-ish twist. That, of course, is awesome.

I usually don't feel bad for games that get cancelled, but this has me interested to find out what it could have been. I hope they come back to it in some form in the future.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
cairocat said:
Steve Fidler said:
Thinking something more along the lines of Heavy Rain, but without all the damn QTEs
So... just a start menu?
yeah, and you can either press "Play" or "Exit"

kind of a new concept of storytelling were the player only sits there looking at the screen without using his controller and the events unfold in a really timely fashion focusing in a story.

kind of cool huh? someone should name this new concept.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I think the gaming industry needs more games like Heavy Rain, upcoming L.A. Noire, or this concept. No, wait, scratch that - I need more games like that. Damn shame, it's not going out anytime soon, really.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Why does this video make me think of...... a 3-Dimensional Zork? Not the music, just the rooms and the atmosphere. Would that ever work?

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
Well, after the inevitable success of Bulletstorm, what's to say they won't be given the green light to have a go at a film-noir detective game? I like the concept, personally.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
It looked like a solid idea and maybe something could have come of it. Maybe they'll take it off the shelf for after Bulletstorm.