Bulletstorm Pukes on Popular Halo 3 Advertisement

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Oh my god a no realistic style shooter? This is blasphemy! It's too cartoony for any mature person to enjoy, how do they think they're gonna beat MW2 with cartoon logic!?

/troll

This looks bloody amazing. I wasn't expecting a great game but if it pukes on gritty serious shooters then I'm on freaking board.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I was going to pass on Bulletstorm, but these advertisements make it a must-buy.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
In a lot of ways, in it's approach to its setting, characters and attitude towards other games, I kind of see Bulletstorm as the video game equivalent of "Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E." from Marvel comics with its characters that are really only good at destroying things and beating people up, while not being the brightest bunch with a ridiculous commander that they all hate and kind of would like to murder.

Combine that with over the top enemies and great humor, I love what this game could turn out to be

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
While I can appreciate a good joke as much as the next guy, weren't Epic the same guys who made those grim and sombre Gears of War commercials? And now they're poking fun at Halo? Seems kind of hypocritical to me.

At any rate, I'll be getting this game regardless... just looks like some crazy fun!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
These latest advertisements have been inspired - what better way to highlight your almost comically ridiculously violent and immature shooter than via advertising that starts out classy and serious, in what viewers quickly realize is an obvious act of satire because classy is perhaps the last word anyone would ever use to describe Bulletstorm? The audience starts praising your game for elements that, if you simply had a campaign where a large shouty person loudly extolled those elements, they would probably have been complaining about, because then it seems like you're trying to market the game to douchebags.

Also the ads are hilarious, so that's nice.

Ashes2Ashes

Sep 28, 2008
Baldr said:
They just lost my pre-order.
Why because they made a parody of a Halo 3 trailer, that's seriously what you're basing your decision on?

I'm getting this game, looks quite entertaining, probably going to wait though since I have such a huge backlog right now.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Eh, Im not going to be surprised if its not that great a game, personally. It seems to be banking pretty heavy on parody territory, and traditionally those kinds of games are pretty bad. There's been exceptions though, so I guess we'll see.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Grey_Focks said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Remind me why I frequent a site full of people who only really like immersive-storytelling-experiences, again?
Because some of us like both, dawg.

!
*high five*

???

Anyway, a lot of people on this site look down on games like this and Bayonetta. Saying they are "bad for the industry" or some shit.
Since when did Bayonetta become bad for the industry? All I've heard is praise for the game.

OT: I'll have to believe them when they talk about "taking the fun back in FPS's". Better to just branch out a cheesy storyline on purpose than writing something you'd think is the next Seventh Seal and later getting laughed at for attempting at being to serious. Here's finally a game that aren't prudent and don't care about being politicly correct. (as if games ever were) High hopes that Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem Forever ignites at least some kind kind of dumb innovation.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
*high five*

???

Anyway, a lot of people on this site look down on games like this and Bayonetta. Saying they are "bad for the industry" or some shit.
Fine for the industry, if they sell that is, but not very descent for our public image and getting out the scapegoat situation we're in now.

It took about about 4 decades for cinematography to get it's Citizen Kane (though that movie bored the shit out of me) and really 'get going' as a medium. Lots of enthusiasts of the videogame medium, who see so many potential in it's unique qualities, think that it's about time we too 'rise above ourselves' so to speak and get the recognition cinematography and literature have been enjoying for respectively decades and even centuries.

Some of them say games like Bayonetta are just holding us back, reïnforcing the image and idea that videogames are just for pubescent boys and their juvenile fantasies, or mere children's toys. And honestly I can get that frustration, developers and enthusiasts that are proud of their work, long for acceptation (which is pretty much a basic human need, so need to look down upon that) so that they can spread their work, inspire others and unlock the fullest potential of their much-loved medium.

And what happens then? More incidents blamed on them dirteh violent games, more frowning looks at jiggling pixel-boobies. And all those developers do is fumble with their thumbs and turn red, because heej that is what is produced a lot and that is what sells pretty well. It's one of the things that pretty much killed Six Days In Falluja, which is a real loss for the industry if you ask me.

But what may even be more frustrating are these two things;
- Other media depicting the things games are looked down upon for in an even more gratuitous way (which is quite easy, seeing as it's still real people) are getting praise and tons of awards. Think The Sopranos, Kill Bill, the likes.
- Movies too have their equivalent of Bayonetta, think movies like Desperado, Machete, the likes. Not only does 'higher' (by lack of a better word, do note that I don't look down upon those movies, great fan myself) cinematography not suffer from it like gaming as a whole does, they sometimes get a lot of praise themselves!

With those things going on you can't really blame enthusiasts who want to expand the medium of videogames for their frustrations. Is that an excuse to just shun the other 'pure fun' side of gaming? Hell no, as we can cleary see it works perfectly fine in movie-land. I think people who are mostly fans of the 'pure fun' side get frustrated about that, and rightfully so, and you can see a certain amount of distrust and latent hostility growing between both sides.

Now, as a fan of both sides I get both both group's frustration. Both legitimate but when played against each other they only worsen the situation. We both represent the same industry, are both capable of producing great work and should both work together for a solution to this very real problem for our much-loved medium.

Pfew, I don't think I've ever put this much thought in a single post.

All that said, I'm loving the look of this game and ads like this make it all the better. I loved the original Halo ad as well, very creative. But heej, nothing wrong with some harmless fun right?

PS:
And about the game itself; while I share the frustrations about not getting any credit, the rebel inside me still loves this game for sticking it to the man. I want respect like movies get, but I don't want to grovel at the feet of the rest of mankind either. That's not respect, away with political correctness! And of course I love it because the gameplay looks entertaining as hell. Been in love with it ever since that first trailer with the Nine Inch Nails soundtrack.
Gildan Bladeborn said:
These latest advertisements have been inspired - what better way to highlight your almost comically ridiculously violent and immature shooter than via advertising that starts out classy and serious, in what viewers quickly realize is an obvious act of satire because classy is perhaps the last word anyone would ever use to describe Bulletstorm? The audience starts praising your game for elements that, if you simply had a campaign where a large shouty person loudly extolled those elements, they would probably have been complaining about, because then it seems like you're trying to market the game to douchebags.

Also the ads are hilarious, so that's nice.
In short; they're fully aware of what they're doing and why they're doing it and are just 100% honest about it because they love it so much. Isn't it awesome?!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
*high five*

???

Fine for the industry, if they sell that is, but not very descent for our public image and getting out the scapegoat situation we're in now.

It took about about 4 decades for cinematography to get it's Citizen Kane (though that movie bored the shit out of me) and really 'get going' as a medium. Lots of enthusiasts of the videogame medium, who see so many potential in it's unique qualities, think that it's about time we too 'rise above ourselves' so to speak and get the recognition cinematography and literature have been enjoying for respectively decades and even centuries.

Some of them say games like Bayonetta are just holding us back, reïnforcing the image and idea that videogames are just for pubescent boys and their juvenile fantasies, or mere children's toys. And honestly I can get that frustration, developers and enthusiasts that are proud of their work, long for acceptation (which is pretty much a basic human need, so need to look down upon that) so that they can spread their work, inspire others and unlock the fullest potential of their much-loved medium.

And what happens then? More incidents blamed on them dirteh violent games, more frowning looks at jiggling pixel-boobies. And all those developers do is fumble with their thumbs and turn red, because heej that is what is produced a lot and that is what sells pretty well. It's one of the things that pretty much killed Six Days In Falluja, which is a real loss for the industry if you ask me.

But what may even be more frustrating are these two things;
- Other media depicting the things games are looked down upon for in an even more gratuitous way (which is quite easy, seeing as it's still real people) are getting praise and tons of awards. Think The Sopranos, Kill Bill, the likes.
- Movies too have their equivalent of Bayonetta, think movies like Desperado, Machete, the likes. Not only does 'higher' (by lack of a better word, do note that I don't look down upon those movies, great fan myself) cinematography not suffer from it like gaming as a whole does, they sometimes get a lot of praise themselves!

With those things going on you can't really blame enthusiasts who want to expand the medium of videogames for their frustrations. Is that an excuse to just shun the other 'pure fun' side of gaming? Hell no, as we can cleary see it works perfectly fine in movie-land. I think people who are mostly fans of the 'pure fun' side get frustrated about that, and rightfully so, and you can see a certain amount of distrust and latent hostility growing between both sides.

Now, as a fan of both sides I get both both group's frustration. Both legitimate but when played against each other they only worsen the situation. We both represent the same industry, are both capable of producing great work and should both work together for a solution to this very real problem for our much-loved medium.

Pfew, I don't think I've ever put this much thought in a single post.
Well said.

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
well it sure isn't subtle is it? lol looks kinda fun, i just hope it has enough going for it to distinguish itself from such games as duke nukem and sorta kinda borderlands.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I really need this fucking game.

I'm sensing my GOTY already. I have a thing for over-the-top action games.

I thrive off of games like this. I'm not one for immersive-storytelling-experiences.

Remind me why I frequent a site full of people who only really like immersive-storytelling-experiences, again?
You like to be the odd fellow out.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
An irreverent sense of humor is something the games industry seriously needs after "serious" titles like Halo, Gears, Killzone, Resistance, and CoD have clogged up the FPS market

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I really need this fucking game.

I'm sensing my GOTY already. I have a thing for over-the-top action games.

I thrive off of games like this. I'm not one for immersive-storytelling-experiences.

Because we're incrediably sexy.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
MalevolentStaircase said:
Is this is exclusive to XBOX?
if it comes with Gears of War 3 beta then yes

CombiBlood said:
Good advertisement like that game not enough to want it though.

Also I feel like this is showing how much a douche nozzle Cliffy B is.
Halo deserved it for being crap that's treated like god

Aiddon said:
Arkhangelsk said:
Which game will win the prize of most fun, mindless, immature violence? On the right ring-corner, with a freaking awesome name and Cliff Bleszinski as trainer, Bulletstorm, chewing delicious hot dogs! On the other ring corner, being the joke of the gaming community and having switched trainers too many times, Duke Nukem Forever, who just run out of gum!

OT: On a more serious note, I'm really looking forward to this and DNF. I prefer when FPS games are more about shooting and blowing stuff up rather than hearing the exposition of soldiers who talk about how war is terrible and that we should learn from all violence.
Throw in the Doom marine, Serious Sam, Jack from Madworld, Travis Touchdown, Dante and Nero, and Sam from Vanquish then we can have a Royal Rumble of absurdity.

Anyway, this game looks to inject some FUN back into shooters while almost being a sort of affectionate parody. I've gotten bored of all the "grim and gritty" business that's clogging up action games as of late.
I would love to see that; Travis vs Nero would be awesome (I'd say vs dante but the newer DMC4 old dante just seems like a prick and not "as cool as they get" anymore)

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
This game looks fun, and while I am not a big FPS fan, I have to say this might be worth a look-see.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Grey_Focks said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Because some of us like both, dawg.

!
*high five*

???

People who hate Bayonetta hate fun... period. BAYONETTA FANS UNITE!
I love fun and don't care for Bayonetta

sure it was "okay" and really refreshing to have something like that; but it was too simplistic
and played like it wanted to be Devil May Cry with cheaper combos

and don't say "it's this way period" because that will start a flame war...
but I will say people who hate armored core either have never played it, or are such big of halo fanboys that they can't comprehend a shield that absorbs 100% damage and recharges faster then you can make toast on the sun