Bungie Defends The Taken King's $40 Price Tag

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
We've set some stuff aside for that edition specifically to really make it appeal to fans who have engaged with the game already

Wait, so Bungie thinks current players are going to drop 100 quid (estimate, got bored after failing to find the price in two minutes) for... a dance emote? Dafuq?

<youtube=_n5E7feJHw0>

Everything he said is hilarious to the point of absurdity. Lucky me for not being an MMO/Destiny/Bungie fan, otherwise I might be liable to cry.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
MMORPG expansions are right around the $40 mark, even Heavensward is more expensive than what FFXIV cost at it's launch, but knowing Destiny content, there is no fucking way that $40 is remotely justified. Even the friends I have who are hardcore Destiny players were underwhelmed by House of Wolves, and the Dark Below was so crappy for it's price that I bowed out of Destiny entirely and got a refund for the expansion pass.

I am given to understand, however, that the Taken King is supposed to come with both previous expansions, but I may have read that wrong. If that were the case, I could see $40 being worth it for everything Destiny has to date, but that's only if you're not already bored of the game. I'm sure the Taken King expansion itself will be just as short and as underwhelming as the first two.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
so glad I cut my losses and quit buying their shit after they tried to charge $20 for the first "expansion" and then made the game unplayable for a week if you didn't buy it immediately.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Not surprised, XCOM Enemy Within was sold for the same price as the base game.

Nothing new, same old bullshit.

Jakabotch

Apr 16, 2008
Destiny is basically the only game I currently play on my console, I have the DLC Season pass and have put in upwards of two hundred hours into it, easily, even when the loot system was absolute garbage and PvP was unbalanced and almost unplayed and enjoyed all of it.

I do draw the line at re-buying the whole game for the sake of some dance emotes though. If Bungie gives me a way to get them separately i'll gladly throw the cash at them to watch my hunter shake her stuff in a new way, but otherwise I will just be very sad watching a bunch of new players gain access to something my countless hours of play with never earn me.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I thought "Taken Kings" was a new title by Bungie, then I saw "Destiny" and didn't even read.

Whenever a dev has to "defend" something about their game, it YELLS how scared they actually are, just like it was done with Evolve's "fractioned" maps/characters, which in the end wasn't even a thing because of how much people hated the idea.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Well it's a silly situation, but I can't really blame them for trying. Lots of people paid full price for Destiny in the first place after all, so that does set the precedent of being able to sell next to nothing for a lot of money.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Wait a sec...

Destiny is still a thing? And the 40$ thing was justified with emotes?

Come on Bungie at least try. Show some gameplay; justify the price with the amount of new content and game mechanics.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Sheo_Dagana said:
I am given to understand, however, that the Taken King is supposed to come with both previous expansions, but I may have read that wrong. If that were the case, I could see $40 being worth it for everything Destiny has to date, but that's only if you're not already bored of the game. I'm sure the Taken King expansion itself will be just as short and as underwhelming as the first two.
From what I saw on a GameStop display case, the expansion comes with the base game, The Dark Below, and The House of Wolves. But I think that's just a special edition bundle, I can't remember.