Bungie Denies Layoff Claims But Stays Mum on New Game Rumor

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I could see this being a false rumor. It's like Bungie to let these rumors get popular, to deny nothing, then come out with something great. Hell, it's like Bungie to have started these rumors themselves to get everyone hyped up. Which brings us full circle to "it could be either", but this variation of that is that we'll be excited for it the whole way through.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
Bungie isn't firing anyone, Bungie is actually one of the few game developers right now that is HIRING [http://www.bungie.net/inside/aboutus.aspx]

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Did I read just right?, a FPSMMORPG?. Featuring egyptian symbols and the like?. If they say that Michael Salvatori is making the sountrack, I think I'll have a nerdgasm.
And Marty with Egyptian style chanting?

*jumps up and high 5's*

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
"Bungie has never been asked to lay off any employees or contract employees by our publisher, Activision-Blizzard, for any reason," it continued. "The talented professionals who grace our offices day in and day out are the lifeblood of Bungie - our most cherished commodity - and the unsubstantiated rumors posted today are in direct opposition to the culture and values that we believe make Bungie an exceptional place to work, and to call home."
You know, if we were being absolutely literal, this statement doesn't deny that people were fired, it denies that Bungie was asked to fire people by Acti-Blizz...

I have no opinion about the rumored game.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
3nimac said:
"Bungie has never been asked to lay off any employees or contract employees by our publisher, Activision-Blizzard, for any reason," it continued. "The talented professionals who grace our offices day in and day out are the lifeblood of Bungie - our most cherished commodity - and the unsubstantiated rumors posted today are in direct opposition to the culture and values that we believe make Bungie an exceptional place to work, and to call home."
You know, if we were being absolutely literal, this statement doesn't deny that people were fired, it denies that Bungie was asked to fire people by Acti-Blizz...

Try reading it again. [http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid30678]

Don't believe everything that you read.

This evening, Kotaku Australia published a blog entry to their website claiming that Bungie recently terminated as many as thirty contract employees without notice or justification, effectively eliminating all non full time staff at the request of our publisher, Activision-Blizzard.

The claim is false.

Bungie has never been asked to lay off any employees or contract employees by our publisher, Activision-Blizzard, for any reason. The talented professionals who grace our offices day in and day out are the lifeblood of Bungie ? our most cherished commodity ? and the unsubstantiated rumors posted today are in direct opposition to the culture and values that we believe make Bungie an exceptional place to work, and to call home.

(Oh, and since we're on the subject, we're hiring.)

UPDATE

To clarify, Bungie has not experienced layoffs or group firings of any kind.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
3nimac said:

Try reading it again. [http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid30678]

Don't believe everything that you read.

This evening, Kotaku Australia published a blog entry to their website claiming that Bungie recently terminated as many as thirty contract employees without notice or justification, effectively eliminating all non full time staff at the request of our publisher, Activision-Blizzard.

The claim is false.

Bungie has never been asked to lay off any employees or contract employees by our publisher, Activision-Blizzard, for any reason. The talented professionals who grace our offices day in and day out are the lifeblood of Bungie ? our most cherished commodity ? and the unsubstantiated rumors posted today are in direct opposition to the culture and values that we believe make Bungie an exceptional place to work, and to call home.

(Oh, and since we're on the subject, we're hiring.)

UPDATE

To clarify, Bungie has not experienced layoffs or group firings of any kind.
Thanks, i didn't check out their website, i just went by what the escapist posted here.

LaBarnes

Oct 23, 2009
I'm pretty disappointed in Kotaku for not doing ANY sort of fact checking. I get that it isn't real journalism, but come on, they could have sent an email for chrissakes.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
If its an upgraded version of "planetside" or "tribes" that would be cool.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:
SupahGamuh said:
Did I read just right?, a FPSMMORPG?. Featuring egyptian symbols and the like?. If they say that Michael Salvatori is making the sountrack, I think I'll have a nerdgasm.
And Marty with Egyptian style chanting?

*jumps up and high 5's*
OH my goodness. *hi 5!*

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Blizzard's Project Titan is not Starcraft, Warcraft, or Diablo based, and has been hinted it may be a FPS MMO. I highly doubt Activision Blizzard would put out two competing MMOs unless Bungie is now working with Blizzard on Project Titan, but that would be kinda stretching it.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Blizzard already stated there is no Starcraft MMO in the works, so yer theory was squashed before it even hit the escapist. But ya, I don't see Bungie doing a MMO, myself. We shall see though.
While I agree with you that Bungie on an MMO is unlikely and they probably wouldn't just pick up another companies IP and work on it, I do want to split hairs here and say that Blizzard never said that there is no Starcraft MMO in the works. Blizzard said that they are not working on a Starcraft MMO. Which leaves open the possibility that somebody else is.

Do I believe it? Absolutely not, Blizzard wouldn't part with IP, especially Starcraft, like that. But it's a cool little thought.