Bungie Shows Off Destiny on the PlayStation 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bungie Shows Off Destiny on the PlayStation 4

Bungie is bringing Destiny to the PlayStation 4, and we're bringing some in-engine video to you.

One of the biggest surprises to come out of tonight's PlayStation 4 conference is that Bungie, best known as the studio behind the mega-hit - and Xbox-exclusive - Halo, is bringing its next game, Destiny, to the PlayStation 4. "After Halo, we asked ourselves the question, 'What next?'" Bungie co-founder Jason Jones said in a video presentation. "How can we take a genre that we know and love so well, the first-person shooter, and turn it on its head again? Our answer is Destiny - Bungie's next great FPS."

Destiny is set in a persistent online world, with customizable characters that evolve and grow as players advance through the game. Jones said Bungie is focusing on creating not just a "great competitive experience that players demand from a shooter," but also on ensuring that co-op play will "blow your mind."

There's almost nothing of actual gameplay to see in the Destiny PS4 trailer, but the in-engine video on display is nothing short of gorgeous. The promise of a persistent game world would also appear to dovetail very nicely with Sony's commitment to a more social approach [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122265-Sonys-PS4-Goes-All-In-for-Social-Gaming] to gaming, and let's face it: Even though Destiny is little more than a pretty tease at this point, the mere act of bringing Bungie to a PlayStation 4 launch event has to be seen as a pretty big coup for Sony.

Destiny is being developed for both the PlayStation 3 and the upcoming PlayStation 4, but it's obvious that Jones thinks Sony's next console is where the real action is. "Destiny is going to be amazing on PlayStation 4," he said. "It's a great piece of gear."

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
And so it begins. They announce it on the PS4 now, then when Nintendo has their next Direct it'll show this game for the WiiU, and when the Nextbox is released, It'll launch with it too.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Is it me or does the alien at about 45 seconds in look like an Elite from Halo?
Bad Bungie! Don't recycle art assets, you've got a great art department, make something new!

Sep 3, 2012
so for what i get is a FPS wit MMO elements? i dont know if that is the best or the worst idea ever, most likely the first but im optimistic.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So instead of being Microsoft's *****, they are now Sony's *****?

Still, I find it to awfully backwardly innovative to develop for the PS3 and PS4 at the same time. Isn't the whole point of an upgrade is to make predecessor obsolete and redundant instead of pandering it? I suppose they've got to add some games to the PS4 ^.^

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
mad825 said:
So instead of being Microsoft's *****, they are now Sony's *****?

Still, I find it to awfully backwardly innovative to develop for the PS3 and PS4 at the same time. Isn't the whole point of an upgrade is to make predecessor obsolete and redundant instead of pandering it? I suppose they've got to add some games to the PS4 ^.^
Activision. They're working on a 720 version too. It's just not announced because.. the console isn't announced yet.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The era of subs, microtransactions, and internet server tethers in addition to paying full price for much more games has really begun.

And nobody trusts demos or trailers anymore thanks to colonial marines.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Why does it have to be with friends and others again?

We couldn't even keep our group together long enough to play games like Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 all together - one or two people would always lag behind due to work schedules,school, and other real life obligations. I had to finish BL2 solo, same for D3.

Not that this game matters to me anyway, since it's only for consoles.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
now while we dont know if those are finished graphics, if they are then while it looks good i dont see anything revolutionary except for some slightly improved lighting

however if this game is still in early stages i may be eating those words

ps. yes i know graphics arnt everything but thats all we were really shown here

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It looks pretty, but when the first thing a developer mentions is multiplayer, it doesn't make me well up with excitement.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
They're developing the game for both generations of console? Why bother? Surely making it an exclusive launch title for the next generation would make more sense.

I'm keeping a very beady eye on this though, sounds interesting although I want a strong single player campaign and less of the multiplayer bullshit.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Proverbial Jon said:
They're developing the game for both generations of console? Why bother? Surely making it an exclusive launch title for the next generation would make more sense.

I'm keeping a very beady eye on this though, sounds interesting although I want a strong single player campaign and less of the multiplayer bullshit.
Maybe for Sony as it would boost console sales, but not for Bungie or Activision as more platforms equals more game sales.

Its great to hear good old Martin O'Donnel's Music score again. I have to say that I missed him a bit in Halo 4.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
From a developer's perspective, absolutely. From a business perspective it wouldn't make any sense at all. That's hundreds of millions of dollars of lost revenue.