Bungie Wants Destiny to Have Star Wars' Cultural Impact

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Hey Bungee! Before we talk about hitting Star Wars levels of pop culture awesome with a video game, how about we all try to simply just deliver a VERY VERY GOOD VIDEOGAME!?! Worry about the Star Wars stuff later. Because until you got something on the table, it's just unpleasant ego, that will only make us laugh harder if Destiny tanks. Make a good game first! Do insane chest thumping later.

Mar 26, 2008
KaZuYa said:
Most Developers drop the PC either because Microsoft/Sony pay them for exclusivity but here is not the case so in my view they either want full control over content with no exceptions or it's going to be utterly mediocre like HALO and consoles can hide the fact a FPS is poorly made by not being a optimal platform to play them on.
Optimal platform ey? Whether you like it or not (and I'm guessing not) there hasn't been a FPS on the PC since Wolfenstein 3D or Doom that has had the cultural impact and broad appeal of either a Halo or Goldeneye 64? Yeah a mouse and keyboard may be more accurate than a controller, blah, blah, blah, but that doesn't make the games themselves superior.

And you must be wearing a tinfoil hat if you think that Microsoft/Sony throwing money at developers is what's keeping top quality FPS games off the PC. I'll give you a clue to a key contributing factor; it starts with "p" and ends with "y" and has "irac" between it. They go where there's money to be made.

Mar 26, 2008
Korten12 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
How's that Halo film adaption coming along? Oh, that's right. Dead in the water.

It's nice to want things, I suppose...
What would be the point of a Halo film now? We're getting a tv show. That should suffice.
If you watch Neil Blomkamp's work like "District 9" and "Elysium" there are a few Halo-esque things in them. It's like he's putting a shout out saying "look guys, it can be done".

Maybe once Peter Jackson has finished boring the world to death with the Hobbit trilogy he might pick it up, but by then will anybody care?

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
The amount of casual cynicism radiating in this thread is just freaking depressing. Here, we have a game that, in my opinion, is looking to be pretty damn good. It wants to create a world that people will remember, a world that you can explore alone or with friends you meet seamlessly within the game world, a game that wants you to forge your own story and destiny. It is inspired by the greats and wishes to one day be able to be counted among them. Isn't that something everyone dreams to stand next to your heroes and be counted as an equal among them. And yet people are calling Bungie a bunch of greedy, egocentric fucks for daring to dream of being something that people will consider great and will forever remember. Where did it come to this? When did we start turning our noses up at those that want to be great, who want to be remembered? When did a company being confident about their project and trying to aim for the stars become something to mock? Is it because of perceived failures like Mass Effect or BioShock Infinite? Or is it because Activision is publishing it and because they published Call of Duty then this game is doomed to meet the same fate? Why do people have so little faith these days? Maybe because it is easier to expect everything to be terrible so you won't be disappointed, but why spend your life thinking everything is going to be terrible that everything is out to con you. The world is a cruel place full of cruel people who would rather set the world on fire then try and make the slightest deference. When did we convince ourselves that greatness in impossible, and to try is just a pointless struggle? Where did the desire to strive for greatness go and why has it become so childish in the eyes of so many people. When did we decide to judge before we even have a chance to experience something? The world needs more people striving for greatness and even if they fail the fact that they tried is laudable enough and to keep on trying is even more so. Bungie wants Destiny to be something that people will remember like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and all I have to say is what the fuck is wrong with that. We all want to be something great and we all have an example to strive for. So I say go for it Bungie and if the rest of the world thinks you are some pretentious, greedy asshole for wanting to be something great, just petty them for thinking that striving to be one of the greats is reserved for the ones that already exist.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Well Bungie if you really want to make something with some teeth, then more power to you. Lord knows you're going to need it.

I don't see why people are being so negative with Bungie openly stating what they'd LIKE to happen with this game. Where would we be today without the people who aimed higher than everyone else? Will this work? Who knows, but I damn sure appreciate the effort. It certainly looks interesting at least, and I'm eagerly awaiting any future news on the game's status.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
It'll be enough if they can match the impact Halo had.

Say what you will, but Halo as a series pretty much changed the rules when it came to console FPS.
Destiny on the other hand dosen't really look like it'll be going any place that hasn't been explored before.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
With the popular culture so fractured, there is no way for something like that happening. The best that they could realistically hope for is on par of other successful games, like Skyrim or CoD. I doubt they could even hit Halo heights.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I seriously don't get why people are so cynical. I think we're forgetting the problem with people trying to topple Call of Duty is that they do it by copying Call of Duty. It's a cold, calculated design that's less of a game and more of a piece of paper slid under a copier. Everything I've been seeing about the updates for Destiny tell me that Bungie is very excited about the game, they're putting a lot of effort into it and frankly I've never seen anything like it and I'm really looking forward to it. It isn't a sequel to a well known franchise that can be classified as safe, it's a brand new IP in a world where we constantly demand them.

People are saying that Bungie are being egotistical, patting themselves on the back for making Halo. Here's the thing though, they're being proud, not arrogant. They made something that they're proud of, and really what's wrong with that? What's wrong with taking pride in what you do, looking back with a smile on your face and saying "Yeah...I made that." And what's wrong with wanting to succeed? What's wrong with having ambition? It's when you start lording it over others and start insulting them that it becomes a problem, and I haven't seen that at all.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Stinovitch said:
They aren't even bringing it out on pc, so how do they expect the game to have such a huge impact as star wars had by leaving one of the major gaming platforms without it?
Well, Halo is 360 exclusive aside from 1 and 2, and it's still incredibly huge. And just look at anything Nintendo shits.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4[/youtube]

Yeah, good luck with that Bungie.
I'll be surprised if anyone will even remember it next year.

But that might be the PC gamer in me talking.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
I enjoy your stuff Bungie. Me and my mates have gotten tons of quality time together out of it. But this isn't gonna happen; namely because those works didn't strive for this goal, it just happened. The creators of the works you mentioned never set out thinking "This is gonna be a big deal", they created them for the fun of it and let the world make up it's mind.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
No it won't Bungie, not because Destiny isn't great, but because "cultural impact" is not something that can be formulated.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
StewShearer said:
There are a few franchises that have legitimately shaped the cultural landscape around them. This tier of instant recognition, of cultural importance, is perhaps the ultimate goal for creators of entertainment to strive for. It's also the goal that Bungie's aiming for with its social shooter Destiny.
I see. They made another sci-fi first-person shooter in which you play a faceless power-armor-wearing alien-killing grunt because they wanted their game to be instantly recognizable. Well, mission accomplished, I suppose.

theuprising

Jun 19, 2013
GL being Star Wars with that super generic and derivative combat. All my hype for the game deflated as soon as I saw the gameplay demo..

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I hope it does have a great cultural impact! That'd mean it made a lot of people very happy, and what more could one ask for.

Happiness makes the world go round.

rednightmare

Apr 17, 2009
I'm not sure if I need to applaud them for their confidence or scold them for their arrogance. I'll wait and see.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Destiny looks good.... but thats it to me (il reserve full judgement til i play it, but it seems to be good). It kind of reminds me of Rage but with tighter gun play and more of a multiplayer focus and there isnt anything bad about that but its by no means going to have the impact that Star Wars had.
Heck Halo had a huge impact and nearly all of its mechanics have been copied in most games released these days, so good job there, but looking at your Gameplay footage (the same exact footage youve shown 3 times with different commentary, why arnt you showing us anything different? seems concerning tbh) there seems to be nothing super redefining about this game

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well that just sounds like another way of saying "We need this property to sell miiiiiiiiillions, or it'll be considered a flop."

Wow three pages in and no-one's linked either the JJJ "You're serious?" or Bender "Let me laugh harder" videos? That's like not linking that Fillion gif. INB4 the aforementioned.