Bungie's Destiny at GDC

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Okay lets get this out the way. If your expecting a gamaplay Trailer then Im afraid there isnt one, or atleast not until E3. The only thing they showed was a video detailing concept art and animations as well as a shitload of more concept art.

Animation Trailer:

Some of the concept art presented;

The concept art with the giant frog was apparently left over from when Destiny was initially supposed to be a Fantasy game before they decided on the futuristic setting

Thoughts; Well it certainly looks promising but until I see gameplay Im not really sold just yet.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Odgical said:
Edit: except for the third picture down - on first glance I thought it was a cat in a suit.
Yeah about that apperently that was supposed to be a playable race. "Tigermen" if I remember but they wont be playable
However you can play as either a human, Awoken or an Exo if this article is to be believed; http://www.examiner.com/article/playable-destiny-races-revealed-tiger-man-not-included

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
I was fairly interest until that "It's always online" came along...

One fucking reason I stick with consoles this long is that I don't have to deal with this type of bullshit, if they want to make a mmo, fine, if they wanna make single player also fine. Always online proved to be horrible time and time again on PC, it could be worse in a console.

"Oh, but you always online anyway"
Fuck you, my connection isn't reliable enough so I can play simple like that.

I don't usually hate a game like that before it actually cames out, but fuck Bungie...

EDIT: Thinking back, this is a bit of rant...
Eh, still don't like the always online thing and think is utterly bullshit.
Looks a ok game, I guess, a bit too much like Halo (Seeing as is Bungie, would like to try see then trying something diferent though), but ok. Too fucking bad I probably won't be able to play.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Diablo2000 said:

One fucking reason I stick with consoles this long is that I don't have to deal with this type of bullshit, if they want to make a mmo, fine, if they wanna make single player also fine. Always online proved to be horrible time and time again on PC, it could be worse in a console.

I don't usually hate a game like that before it actually cames out, but fuck Bungie...

Looks a ok game, I guess, a bit too much like Halo (Seeing as is Bungie, would like to try see then trying something diferent though), but ok. Too fucking bad I probably won't be able to play.
I'm pretty sure its supposed to be an MMO of sorts, hence the always online aspect.

It seems pretty different from Halo to me. The only similarity is that they are both Si-Fi, the ascetics aren't even remotely the same.

OT:
This game is like a dream come true for me. One of my dream games was something with a similar setting, and this game covers that. Not only that but its being made by Bungie, one of my favorite developers. I can't wait to see the final product.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Lol, dat boob-window. Aside from that, I've been digging the art direction since the get-go. This game has a lot of potential, so I am expecting Bungie to deliver. All my friends are going to hop on this ASAP, so I had better enjoy it as well.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Giant frogs and Walkers and jungle traveling adventurers?

This is Bungie's version at a Lost Planet MMO, but that's still fucking awesome.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This is why I want a major in animation and a minor in video game art. So I can make shit like this everyday.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Fappy said:
Lol, dat boob-window. Aside from that, I've been digging the art direction since the get-go. This game has a lot of potential, so I am expecting Bungie to deliver. All my friends are going to hop on this ASAP, so I had better enjoy it as well.
Clearly it's because she's been travelling across the desert, that is the best way to stay cool. Also it helps give you a lovely cleavage tan.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Dansen said:
Diablo2000 said:

I'm pretty sure its supposed to be an MMO of sorts, hence the always online aspect.

It seems pretty different from Halo to me. The only similarity is that they are both Si-Fi, the ascetics aren't even remotely the same.

OT:
This game is like a dream come true for me. One of my dream games was something with a similar setting, and this game covers that. Not only that but its being made by Bungie, one of my favorite developers. I can't wait to see the final product.
Pretty sure they said is possible to have a single player experience, but they needed to have the always online to some aspect to it and a multiplayer, like Dark Souls, except Dark Souls don't made me go always online. Which is one of the reason why I Dark Souls is my favorite game and the always online of Destiny is a bit bullshitty of sorts...

Captcha: best fit line
NO!I AM A FREE SPIRIT!

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
I have no opinion about Bungie, and not much is known about Destiny yet, but I feel that there is one idea in the game that has tremendous potential, upon which the whole endeavour might hinge at the end: what they call "shared world shooter". If they pull that off right, it would merge most benefits of MMOs, Coop and single-player games.

Building and maintaining a persistent world, like in your typical MMORPG, is complicated and expensive. The areas you find there need to adhere to certain principles, which makes them typically pretty generic, and it's difficult to implement new content in an organic fashion. And what's the benefit of that, really? Does it enhance immersion to play in a consistent, persistent world? In principle, it would, but not as much after seeing Hogger die 10 times, seeing people do the same "unique" quest 10 times, killing the same boss 10 times. Can you really feel like an adventurer, like an explorer in an MMO when you always, always meet many others on your journeys? You just can't tell great stories in traditional MMOs; at least I've never seen it work. And is it really that great to cross paths with random people all the time? How often does it really happen if you meet someone at random, unexpectedly, who helps you out in a time of need?

Now I don't know how exactly this "shared world" concept is supposed to work, but if they hit it, it could solve all these problems. It's cheaper to maintain. It's easier to implement new content. It's easier to tell good stories. You'd be able to feel a sense of exploration, of loneliness even that you typically only get in single-player (or coop) games.
You can experience all that alone, if you wish, or with friends, or indeed with random strangers, and actually enjoy it. If their matching system is able to detect when you're stuck, or when you're at a point on your mission that you're unable to do on your own, and then 'shares' your world, invisibly, with those of one or more strangers who are at the same point, and you can help each other, well, this would be a great thing.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Akratus said:
This is all very incoherent. To be interested in a game, especially one by Bungie, I need to see a coherent goal, something interesting, something new. I just see a lot of cobbled together things.
That's pretty much it. Many of the concepts they've released so far just wildly conflict with other ones. If they tried to implement all this stuff in the game alongside each other, then it'd look and play like a mess.
Then again I guess that's what concept art is for, visualize a concept to see if it's worth pursuing or not, but what's the point of showing heaps and heaps of things which are inevitably going to have be greatly changed or scrapped? Concept art is concept art, it doesn't mean crap until you utilize it in something. The somewhat more concrete animation video is a start, but is this pretty much all they have to show us? A bunch of concepts? And why has there been loads of focus on the setting and very little on the gameplay? I haven't even seen any mention by them of how the game is actually going to play aside from the multiplayer deal and the fact it's an FPS with classes.